Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Non-fiction

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I'm writing a biography of the composer Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998). This is a mammoth, and possibly insane, labour of love. For relaxation I'm learning German and Russian; mastery of these languages will pave the way for serious research into Schnittke's life, interviewing people who knew him and so on.

Is anyone else writing non-fiction and do they have general advice, suggestions, recipes, encouraging words, for sustaining the momentum beyond the initial wild idea and burst of enthusiasm? News of successes and breakthroughs in this field would also be welcome. Thanks!

I use a blog like a massive filing system to store a large amount of miscellaneous background information, such as articles, abstracts, reviews, comments, programme notes etc. This is a "quick and dirty" reference tool. It's easily searchable and incorporates links to useful websites which are automatically updated.

By the way, if you've never heard Schnittke's music, please please get hold of some and listen.
  • Rigosnall and Dorothyd,

I always did think that writing biography was top of the literary tree, but now I know why it is.
    Cheers to you both, Patty
  • Your progress reports are fascinating dorothyd. I have an interest in the Plantagenets. England at the time was culturally quite stagnant, rather like it is today.

It must be a challenge working at several centuries' distance from the actual events, but breathing life back into the protagonists, if only on the page, must be tremendously satisfying.