Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Workshops

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I Went to my first workshop the weekend just gone. I attended an 'inspired beginnings' workshop at the Warwick Words Festival. It was my first experience of discussing writing in a big group. There was twenty people in the workshop including me. The company was great and the amount of respect that everyone showed each other was a joy. I was vastly outnumbered: 19 women and me. The thing that struck me was the lack of confidence that would-be writers have, I am sure that any of my peers in that situation is able to write, but lacked confidence. I did not learn much about generating ideas because that has never been a problem for me. I did learn though to be more focused and looked at the argument for joining a writing group. The Warwick Words writing group was also launched. Is joining a writing group a must?
  • No, it's not for everyone. But if you lack confidence it can be a good way to build up your writing self esteem.
    The important thing to remember is take your time finding the right group for you,there can be a big variation in the type and quality of writers groups.
    Glad you had a good time at the event.
  • I've been in writing groups (one was terrible!) but I'm not in one now. I did find them helpful when I was starting out though, and my confidence was certainly boosted by the feedback. But I came to realise that some groups are a bit too "cosy" in terms of critique, while others can be dominated by one or two strong characters who seem to take up a lot of time... I think it's very hard to get the balance right.

Now I find that Talkback fulfils my need to interact with other writers (daily - often several times!) I belong to the Society of Authors and Writers' Guild too, both of which organise workshops/seminars and social/networking events.
  • I meant to add that I had the opposite experience on a ten week writing course once - all men and me!
  • I intended to go to the Warwick Words Festival but it clashed with other arrangements.  Was it any good?  I'm pleased to hear they have started a writing group because I have been looking for one to join. I don't live far away.  I have never joined a writers group before but have wanted to do so for a long time - have you any info on this group - send me a pm if you do.
    Joining a group would be helpful to me, my husband died a couple of years ago so I find it a bit lonely.
  • Hi Wilgetthere - I love belonging to a writers' group, I find it helps me to keep writing and to try other genres.  Over the years I've been a member of several and currently chair a weekly meeting at one near Wolverhampton. 
  • Talkback is my Writers' group any time of the day.
  • Sorry to hear about the death of your husband. The Warwick Writers Group meet 7.30-9.30pm and have 3 dates until Christmas: Wed 25 October at Unitarian Chapel, Mon 27 Nov at Roebuck Inn, Smith Street and Mon 20 Dec at the Unitarian Chapel.
  • Hi Betsie, I find that Talkback is great and maybe when I move up the writers' league I will possibly join a local writing group. I think I will know when the time is right for that.
  • Thanks Wilbethere - I'll go along and see what it's like