Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

charity shop find

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Having received a 'regret' letter for a short story this morning, I had a brisk walk to ponder my next plan of attack.  On popping into the local Age Concern there was a 2006 copy of Writers and Artists Yearbook for 79p!  Snapped it up and returned home with renewed spring in step!
  • That's the spirit!
  • My heart goes out to the poor person who has finally given up. I'm in that sort of mood.
  • I don't mean I'm in the mood to give up - just in a empathetic and sympathetic and pathetic state this evening
  • Well spotted Doodly - must be bargain of the year
  • Flick, I prefer to assume that the book brought its original owner luck in the form of a publisher, which is why s/he doesn't need it anymore :-)

Hope it does the same for you, Doodley.
  • That's certainly a bargain.  I just paid £14.99 for the 2007 version at Swanwick which I am sure won't be that different.
  • Well done, I love a bargain. There must be a message for you in the fact that you found the book after receiving your rejection letter. 
  • I agree, all things happen for a reason. Great Bargain!
  • Definitely Fate, Doodley. Go for it!
  • I've just bought a new copy, too. Under 'Gay Times', it still shows Vicky Powell as editor. I'm sure she's left/is leaving. Oh, well.
  • What a great buy!
  • thanks for your comments everyone, I agree that it was a nudge to 'keep going' (not that I could stop writing even if someone force-fed me with an emergency brake).  I've been flicking through the pages - I've never had a copy of this before though I've used Writers Handbook - and have spotted some information that has led to an idea....(the rest of the household inhabitants trembled with trepidation...)
  • Not quite a charity shop but on the topic of bargain books. W.H.Smith are running a discount splurge.

I have just treated myself to "Collins Thesaurus A-Z" hardback first edition for 2006, discounted from £30-00 to £7-50. It will succour a very dog-eared Roget's paperback. The companion dictionary was resisted as there are defined words (known to me) missing.
  • Hello Dorothyd,

It's reassuring to have a crossword fanatic confirm my quick skim. Upsetting though, it belittles your good intention with expense on a necessary tool. This is the first Collin's publication I have purchased. There's a niggle in my memeory archives that some long past survey reported poor standards for this publisher. It is always disappointing when items don't live up to their cover description.
    Worth of the thesaurus will reveal itself with use.
  • I love charity shops.
    Most of my cd and cassette (remember them?) collections have been plundered from those particular sources.

I also feel as though I am doing something useful when I buy a book from one, read it, then return it to another
  • i agree courierjohn - i'd much rather pay 99p or whatever to a charity shop for a video or book then take it back, once i've viewed, for someone else to discover.  much better than giving money to video rental stores (at £3.50 for two nights)
    and it stops shelves/cupboards getting stuffed up. i have to agree with others on the matter of charity shop undies but then again a brand new bra could set you back £25 so maybe its not a bad idea, they can always be washed/ sterilised/fumigated/defested as necessary!   
  • Some charity shops receive clothing items unused from people, and other organisations. Things that would go in 'seconds'in sales.
  • Great bargain Doodleysquirt. Perhaps the previous owner gave up writing after too many rejections and dumped her handbook in the charity shop. You of-course will NOT give up!!
  • ...or perhaps it's a lucky handbook! Previous owner has got an agent and a publisher, is overwhelmed by offers from publishers in fact, and no longer needs it (think positive Stan)
  • The W&A book find is magic-just like the Red Shoes in WM, it will inspire you to follow the course to becoming a writer and hopefully to a happy ending
  • I have managed to pick up many good reference books from charity shops nationwide, my most recent is Chambers Book of Days 2004 for £1.50. If any talkbackers want information on big charity bookstores nationally I might be able to help. As you may know some charities have amazing collections of books, Oxfam is one that comes to mind.
  • Oxfam seems to get the best variety. We have two of their books only shops in Nottingham, there may be others.
    I've picked up some classic reference books from them, which if I'd bought second hand from the net or Amazon would have cost a lot more.
    But don't ignore the other charity shops, they sometimes have useful bargains.
    I bought a large coffee table size book, great reference work for shops and shop design and purpose in the last few hundred years. It cost 3.99, and when I looked on Amazon, new it cost about £25.
  • Oxfam also have a big shop in Leicester and Weston-Super-Mare. Leicester was a couple of years back though since I visited. Carol is right by no means ignore the other charities.
  • Oxfam also have a good sized one in Cambridge.