Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lovely quote...

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• “Every day you are afraid. Every day you move through fear to your desk, and as soon as you pick up your pen, or read the sentence left over from the night before, incomplete, needing an adjustment in rhythm—a stronger verb, a slash of color or the taste of bitter herbs—in that moment of solving the problems all fear dissolves. You are writing again.” ~ Sophy Burnham
  • Thanks for the quote Lizzie!
  • That's nice :o)

I kept a sentence a friend said to me on msn the other day, but I'll keep it for myself rather than sharing it.  Suffice to say, English is not his first language, and the way he said it made me melt.  Knowing that other people have confidence in your writing makes you seem a bit silly for doubting yourself, no?
  • Years ago at work I had a calendar with meaningful quotes on each page. I've always remembered two of them:

Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

There is an easy solution to every human problem. Neat, plausible - and wrong.

(Thanks to Google, after all this time I've just discovered the first one was said by Benjamin Franklin and the second by Henry Louis Mencken.)
  • According to the Brainy Quote Website, Sherry, it was Vince Lombardi, an American football coach.

If anyone’s interested, the Brainy Quote word of the day is Hallux. I have to confess I’ve never heard of it, but neither has my spell checker.
  • Sylvia - put: hallux meaning
    into a google search. The answer might surprise you!
  • There is a terrible restlessness which accompanies writing. It is a prowling in the heart and the mind and the body.  It is a kind of pain, a mixture of an elation and a melancholy for which there is no remedy.

Elizabeth Jolley
  • 'Writing is a way of being both passive and active, social and asocial, present and absent in one's own life.' Roland Barthes.

Deep thoughts from a goalkeeper.
  • How 'bout the old Nike slogan? ...Just do it!
  • I have a quote from Nelson Mandela on the wall beside my computer.  I find it encouraging when I feel I am not writing as well as I hoped.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?  Actually who are you not to be?"
  • TT - it might have been because your mother still regarded you as a child!
  • How right you all are! As a mum myself, I walk the tightrope between trying to protect them and wanting them to make their own decisions. In the olden days, I was thinking about becoming an airhostess (flight attendants, these days) and dear old dad said, "You won't stand a chance love, you don't speak with a plumb in your mouth. You've got to have been born with a silver spoon in your mouth." It's a wonder people like that managed to talk at all with all those things shoved in their cakeholes. Anyway, same point, really. Didn't want me to fail and be embarrassed. Needless to say I never even attempted an application. Poor me. HOWEVER, having said that, I'm sure you get UK Idol over there (It's Australian Idol here). Wouldn't you think someone's mum or dad had been kind enough to let some of those poor sods know they couldn't sing?
  • Hmmm. This must be the place to come if you are a 46 year old female Australian. I too, Nenastew5.

Try this one on for size, Lizzie...

Hard work without talent is a shame, but talent wihout hard work is a tragedy - Robert Half
  • Here's one of my favourites (from an Alan Bennett play)

The elderly often repeat themselves and the young have nothing to say.  The boredom is mutual.
  • From Confucius:

'Learning without thinking is fruitless;  thinking without learning is dangerous.'

How right he was.
  • Definitely.
    Tomorrow I'm off to do my mother thing at school. My boys are performing in the class assembly, and one of them is dressing up as Granny (there are girls in the class, so don't know why Dom's doing it instead). When I asked if he was okay with it, the darling replied with a grin- 'I live to entertain.'
    Mother put in her place.
  • Okay, having met your kids, Carol, that was a scary mental image! Hope the assembly thing went well, anyway.

One of my favourite quotes is, "A closed mouth gathers no feet".

No idea who said it, but it's certainly something that I should rememeber more often.

There's another one that maybe someone on Talkback can help me to identify. I saw it on a website years ago, and then lost the site and didn't write it down. It went something like this (I paraphrase a lot from what I can remember):

"English doesn't just 'borrow' words. It actively chases other languages down alleyways to hit them over the head and go through their pockets for spare vocabulary."
  • Re parents' attitudes to their kids - a couple of years ago, when I turned 40, I asked my dad how it felt to have a daughter that old.  He shook his head and said 'You're still in your early 20s in my head.'  He admitted that he'd thought of me as being in my teens until a few years before!  No wonder they talk to us the way they do sometimes.  Still, my nephews bring me back down to earth with a bump, as they keep calling me Nanny (they're smart cookies, they know I'm not, but I think they've sniffed out, like dogs sniffing fear, that it winds me up, as I look and behave so much like my mum...)
  • I said I would never ever say those ridiculous 'motherisms' mum used to say to us but, horror of horrors, I'm a shocker at it. At first it was sort of funny when I caught myself at it but now it's kind of scary. eg.Son:"Can't I just put it on the table, Mum?"  Me:"I'll give YOU table, young man." What does that mean, anyway? Help. Do we all turn into our mothers eventually? I seem to have plummeted down the motherism hill quite some time ago.
  • This is getting to sound like Oscar Wilde.
  • Don't you Oscar Wilde me, young man! I'll give you, Oscar Wilde!  :)
  • Young! Thank you, IG.
  • Island Girl, I find myself doing the same. Only I now know what my mother was getting at...most of the time. Scary isn't it?
  • Yes indeedy. And Jay, my dear, you'll always be  young to me. Now enough of this nonsense, go and clean up that mess you've made in the kitchen before I clean it up FOR you. Hehehe  :)
  • Quote by Gorky;  Many contemporary authors drink more than they write.  I m trying to live up to that Quote from  Mark Twaine: I have been an author for 22 years and an ass for 55
  • I try to simplify the medium of prose : simplicity is uncluttered and melodious
  • i got one! maybe not a quote but im sure u guys wont beast me. it is a chinese idiom "a horse only eats new grass" it means dont look back, i think :)