Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Debut Novel published

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi to everyone, this my first time on talkback. You always feel a little shy talking about success, i do anyway. But after years of struggle my novel THE HOUSE of SUBADAR has been published this month By Arcadia Books-London.
    Please visit my website for more info on vijaymedtia.co.uk
    Hope this message encourages all my friends to keep writing!
  • Congratulations, this is inspiration to us all. I'm about to pop to your website to take a look. Again, well done.
  • Excellent!  Well done, you.
  • Congratulations.
  • Welcome and well done. Keep on writing!
  • Nice to hear, well done.
  • Congratulations. It is great to hear about your success.
  • Morning Vijay
    Brilliant to read about your success. Enjoy the moment and here's to many more
  • Well done!  It must be a wonderful feeling.
  • Hi vijaY welcome and congratulations. I have just had a quick look on your website but will look again properly later.
  • That's odd - Amazon UK are showing Black Amber Books as the publisher. Is it the same company? Best of luck with sales, by the way.
  • Hi Vijay, welcome and congratulations on your fantastic success!
  • A BIG thanks to everyone for your good wishes.
    What a pleasant surprise to read messages from all over the place, even Australia!

Blackamber is an imprint of the Arcadia group.

You have all made me feel great today!
    VIJAY
  • Hello.  Welcome to Talkback and congrats on the book!
  • Well done on the book and welcome to talkback Vejay.
  • Hi Vijay!

Many many congratulations!! Really pleased for you! I'll take a look at your website now.
  • I like the name maddoctor dribble, very funny. Hello to you and thanks, also to Janice and Helen.
    I had a BBC radio interview on tuesday with Nikki Bedi- at 12.30pm, where we discussed my novel, where i was nervous as hell because it was live on air, but the presenter helped me through loads!
    If my friends on talkback would like to listen to the 15 mins interview, please search Nikki Bedi via google and then go to asian sound radio and press the play button, it works on the computer.
    Bye for now!
  • Hi again, Vijay. You might be interested in Writing Tales - Interview Possibility.
  • Hi Tessa, thanks. Yes I am working on a second novel, a love story set in India. It's a big challenge because the problem I'm facing is how to make it different? But that's what i enjoy with writing novels, overcoming the difficulty. I've just rewritten the opening 30 pages, now there is more spark and tension- so i'm feelin better.
    Jay- will look into interview possiblity, thanks.
  • Methinks that last post was Vijay.
  • Sorry guys something happened, for some reason I'm jenny? I'm sure jenny's really nice!
    Vijay.
    What are people's thoughts on using jokes in fiction? For example; A woman gets on the bus with her baby, when the driver says, 'aagh! That's the ugliest baby i have ever seen.
    The woman shocked sits down next to a passenger and complains, 'I've never been so insulted in my whole life! The passenger looks at her and says, 'Why don't you give him a piece of your mind love? Whilst i hold the monkey!

What are people's thoughts? does it reduce fiction by employing a joke via a character?
    Vijay
  • I think it depends on the character - if they're the sort of person to tell jokes, then I'd say it was fine.
  • Vijay - Even if readers have heard the joke before, the humour could come from another character's reaction to it.

Re your message appearing with the wrong name, that happens occasionally on Talkback. You have to log out and log in again. I mean to check who I am each time, but always forget!
  • Thanks for your thoughts evaine and jenny- this talkback is getting addictive! I've been subcribing to writers magazine for several years now, off and on. The 'off' part when i was broke, which was often!
    Still its great to talk to you all!
  • Possibly it's like sex! If it's in context - maybe not just a string of jokes.
  • Hi Vijay, I liked the joke or pun that you last typed but I get the impression you didn't even know you did it. Quote: "...for several years now, off and on. The 'off' part when I was broke, which was often!"  Haha, you should've spelt, you were broke offen.  Maybe you could work on incorporating some new puns like that into your novel. Could be better and fresher than rehashing old jokes?
  • Hi Island girl and jay, thanks for your comments- the impression isn't quite correct, that's my normal wit! which i include in my writing where cver possible; but my suspicion that telling jokes via character dialogue might not be a great ploy has proved correct to a large extent, and i thank you all for that. what are you working on island girl?
  • Well done on your achievement from another debut novelist earlier this year and enjoy Talkback.
  • Hi Vijay, due to lifestyle (job, family, book background research etc.,) I seem to be constantly in stop-start mode. After a good run with research into current policing methods etc, my 'source in the force' is taking time out due to a job-related injury so I've put my Whodunit on hold again. And as I'm not one to sit idly by, and just so that I'm still writing, I'm presently trying to organise myself around the light and fluffy chic-lit/romance novel that I had to put aside 6 months ago for similar reasons. They say too many cooks spoil the broth but I sometimes I think too many ideas spoil a book. And once again, I'm floundering about in no-man's land like a duck without a pond. Maybe I could combine them into one detective-chic/romancey/murderous story. Hehehe. Cheers  :D
  • Hi IG, you make me feel bone idle! Two novels on the go, police research source! work/family/everything else- good for you, and I sincerely hope you make it.

No man's land, I think all writers have been there; and for what its worth i would keep both novels separate. And yet u have to try and complete the first draft. It means sacrificing all other projects, if you're working on too many things, nothing gets done- and years pass with several unfinished, half-written novels!
    This is just my own experience, so please don't take it as gospel!

If anyone else would like to throw light, all advice welcome!
  • No, I totally agree with you. Maybe that's why I never seem to be able to get anywhere. I'm encouraged by your comforting words, though and am so pleased for you with your recent success. You are obviously very organised, talented and disciplined so more power to you! Well done.