Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Critique Circle(.)com

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Anyone else a member?
    I have joined today (free) and it looks like a useful tool, in helping me to get published.
    I am chary of criticising work by authors in my writing group, in case of hurting their feelings, so doing it anonymously would seem to be just the ticket - and getting their crits in return!
  • Yes, I'm on under the name of Flick. There is at least one other Talkbacker on but they can reveal themselves if they want to. I think it is an excellent website. It's very useful to critique other's stories. You can learn a huge amount. There are pros and cons with the site though. Most of the users are American and expect you to use double quotation marks and US spellings. So when you post, its worth mentioning that you are British otherwise they correct your spellings to realize and color. The other advice I'd give is do lots of crits and you'll get lots back. The more effort you put in, the greater the reward.
    All critiques should be honest, whether they are anonymous or not but I'm never cruel. Some of the users are under 16 and some (not many) are dsylexic. A few users can't really write at all and you have to find a way to be encouraging without destroying what they've written.
  • You shouldn't worry about giving an opinion GLL. The important thing in this is making your criticism constructive. No you don't want to hurt someone deliberately, but they need a realistic opinion. It's no good mollycoddling a writer, if they can't cope with adverse comments now, then they won't cope with today's publishing world.
    The important words are CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM.
  • I am down as 'Dil' (user). 
    Have done two crits already and tried to be positive, as well as offering constructive criticism.  One of the writers was under sixteen so I was careful not to dent her confidence too soon!
    Non -members of this site: you have to accumulate some credit (by posting crits) before you can post your own story and await the criticism of same!
    I do appreciate that the majority of members are American but have already talked to a lady from Winchester, England!
    See you around on there!
  • I'm a member too, but I haven't had time to breath at the mo let alone use the site. I will get around to it asap though. And I go under my usual name.

Milhouse.
  • http://groups.msn.com/TheWritersWelcome is a good place to get proper one-to-one critique!
  • I intend to treat the crits of my first story as useful and worth considering seriously, after all I am trying to write for readers of varying tastes...
    I wrote it before I went to Swanwick so, hopefully, my next one will be more professional.