Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

September's Writing Magazine Ghost Story

edited August 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• Last night I read the winning story for the annual ghost story competition in this month's magazine. First of all, I didn't enjoy the story, but also, I became aware of something regarding the narrative. Here are two examples, but I want to make it clear that I am not making a personal criticism to the author of this story. It’s just my views and nothing more:

'I was actually so sure it was wrong that, already, I could feel myself calming down after the initial shock. I knew I was pregnant. Had known for months."

"He waited. Didn't rush me."

This is not the first time I have seen this sort of laziness creep into writing. A book I recently finished reading had similar sentences structured in the same way. Has it become unfashionable to put an 'I' or a 'he/she' at the start of the sentence? Cutting these simple but vital words from the language makes a piece of writing seem rushed and more akin to the contents of someone's notebook.
  • I have no real problem with it either. In many ways it brings a touch of intimacy to the writing, and makes it less formal, as if really talking to the reader. It reflects the way people actually talk and think.
  • In conversation and in our thoughts, we don't insert pronouns all the time do we?
  • I have to admit I do the same, ie miss out pronouns.  I agree with others above, I don't think it's a bad thing and can achieve a particular effect.

I thought it was quite a clever story, if a little disturbing.  It made me think, which is a good thing.
  • I usually love these competition winners, and aspire to be able to write as well as the winners usually do; I too was disappointed with this one.
  • I don't have a problem with the lack of pronouns in this particular instance as the writer is 'inside the character's head' telling it how it was said.  Also I think we have to allow for the writer's 'voice' i.e. personal syntax. 
  • i read the winning story twice . the first time i  thought it was rubbish but i read it again and hate to admit it is really good . it is just the way the character thinks and talks . i have now started on my own ghost story now .

we all talk differnt and writing is different .
  • I enjoyed it a great deal because it was such an original idea.
    As for the lack of pronouns, I'm guilty of it too but it's in keeping with my writing style.
  • It was original, and it's also a very nice idea - a phantom pregnancy with a real phantom.  I think it's beautiful.  I didn't think the story was scary, though, not in the least.  If it was supposed to be scary, it failed, because I thought it was nice.