Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Like walking in the rain

edited July 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• No, this isn't an attempt to rekindle a love of David Cassidy songs, I actually like walking in the rain and wonder if I am alone in this? My family are 'normal' people who mainly go for walks when the weather is nice, and really do not understand my love of the wet stuff...
    It has been such a lovely damp day today, I can hardly contain myself, and keep sticking my head outside just for a good old earthy sniff.
    Have just been for a lovely long damp walk, and feel energised if a little damp. I also feel inspired to write about the rain - maybe when I've dried off!
    I'd love to hear from any fellow rain lovers

Lizzie

Let me know if I am the only one - I have a feeling that I might be.
  • I have to admit I like putting my head out of the door when it finally rains after a long dry spell, it's wonderful how things change, and the sounds.
    I don't mind walking in the rain, as long as it's not pouring heavily.
  • I don't mind it - as long as I'm heading home!
  • I hate umbrellas and never use one.  I love walking in the rain when wearing the right kit.  Skin is waterproof so I can't understand why anyone would dislike it.
  • I remember some years back seeing a photograph of a child, holding her shoes, and standing in the rain, hands up and a delighted expression on her face. After a hot spell I enjoy standing in the garden in the rain.
  • One of my most memorable experiences is of swimming in a cool crystal blue lagoon with warm tropical rain falling down from the skies ...
  • I sat with my daughter in the park eating icecreams the weekend before last when the heavens opened - does that count?
  • Walking in summer rain may be enjoyable if I have leisure time.

Fighting winter storms can be invigorating but only if a roaring open log fire awaits at journey end.
  • Last week it rained here.  I could have walked the dogs for hours and hours - so invigorating.  One of the dogs usually hates rain, but even she appreciated it after such a long dry spell.  She was all skittish and waggy-tailed.
  • Yes, Nena, I hated rain at school.  It was being cooped up in a classroom at luchtimes that I detested, especially at secondary school - so many people, so much noise and steamed-up windows and wet floors - aarrgh!
  • Nenastew, you took me right back recalling that advert.  I can remember out with my two sons and getting caught in the rain.  We started to chant that running back home.
  • Cold hands Nenastew5,

I didn't mind the colour but that painful tingling as circulation revived warmth into my hands!

Now Anna (and Nenastew),

Do you remember that series of adverts for a certain coffee, depicting blossoming romance?
  • Ye-esss.  (she says cautiously, wondering what is to follow.  ie did Jan write it)
  • I agree with you Bud. That's the only thing that annoys me when I'm out in the rain. Then I have to find somewhere dry so I can wipe my glasses. But I love the smell of rain. I've just driven home from work in the rain, I just hope it ends up in the catchment areas.
  • We can hardly forget them, they went on for years.
  • Wouldn't it be good if glasses came with swishing wipers for rainy days?
  • Not only did the coffee saga "go on for years" but there was (eventually) an episode played with an open-hearth fireplace.

That was the issue to which I was referring, you suspicious lot! I was only continuing the sub-theme of experiences in the rain. I felt sure Anna's broad mind would relate to such scenes and Nenastew5 had reminisced a particular advert.
  • Betsie said "Skin is waterproof".

No, it isn't, which is why after a bath, your fingers go all wrinkly.  And if it were waterproof, moisturisers would be a waste of time.  Skin has to be able to breathe.

I love the rain, as well - but I don't like walking the dogs in it, because they get all soggy and walk wet doggy prints into the flat, and bring all sorts of bits and pieces with them, like leaves and twigs.

I don't wear glasses, so I don't have that problem, and I can't be bothered with umbrellas - I lived in Inverness for long enough (twice) to get used to a bit of wet stuff falling from the sky.  It's only water.
  • Unbrellas have a bad habit of blowing inside out so I don't bother with them either. Inverness is a lovely city. Did you visit the second hand book in the disused church? Marvellous place!
  • No, I always used to go in Waterstone's or Borders, Stan.

I love Inverness, and miss the place every day - I can't wait to get back up there, even for just a few days.
  • I've never owned an umbrella-lethal weapons! I like walking in the rain, especially in the countryside.
  • Jan, what's with the open hearth then?    What is it, something about fire?
  • i prefer walking in the rain if its raining heavily. makes getting wet a lot more worth somehow. and also my hair doesnt explode. if it rains lightly (a school friend accurately named it 'frizz rain') my hair just goes frizzy and huge and doesnt look that nice. and due to its gingerness its kinda like moses and the burning bush...only minus the moses part :S.

but other than that i LOVE walking in the rain...if its absolutely pouring it down. its soo fun!!! :D:D
  • I suppose you have to avoid wearing white cotton if you like walking in the rain - it's SO transparent when wet!
  • just a little bit :P, and any pale colour for that matter!!!
  • i avoid wearing white at all times.
  • Nenastew, I remember those ads, it was for Nescafe. The anticipation for the next installment nearly drove me nuts.
  • 'Nuts wholehazel nuts' - did you have that advert in OZ?
  • Are you an aquarian Lizzie? Aquarians are supposed to be the people who are out in the rain when everyone else is indoors. I love the smell of rain, especially in the summer when it hasn't rained for days.
  • I love the smell of newly mowed grass but I don't like mowing ours! 
  • I love the smell of freshly cut grass and I love to mow. I can't explain it but I get real pleasure out of it. I'm quite sure people must think my hubby is a bit of a nasty pasty when they see me out in the heat with my bright red face and limp, dank, sweaty hair striding along behind the mower but I won't let him do it. Do you know, I've been almost tempted sometimes to keep going and mow the neighbours place as well? But then I think they might be insulted, taking it as a hint that I think their grass is too long.
  • I agree, warm rain whilst you're swimming or running about in a swimming costume, as happened to us on a few occasions in the water parks in Orlando, is a delicious feeling.
    Cold English rain on the head is quite another matter and not to be recommended. It sends a shiver down the spine.
  • I love walking in the rain especially when it is pouring. I even like it in winter unless it is very windy. Friends and family mostly consider me abnormal.
  • After the rain, maybe (lovely smell) but not during it.  A couple of months ago, I decided to walk home (about 15 minutes) instead of taking the bus. Saved me 70p but a storm broke out. It was about 10.30 at night so I knew there wouldn't be another bus for half an hour. I ended up taking shelter for 5 minutes in the doorway of a church (and I apologised for only visiting in a emergancy :-)).  I got absolutely soaked but I did get to see the most spectacular lightning. I couldn't wait to get home and watch it with a hot drink but by then it was all over. Boo!
  • Walking in rain is nice occasionally, but being out in snow is better. Especially at night when the falling snow is backlit by street lights.

This, of course, assumes that it isn't blowing a gale at the time, in which case it's less pleasant because any exposed skin feels like it's being flayed off!
  • I love snow.  Once, when I lived in Inverness, my other half and my parents were all staying with me at the same time, and we went along to the local pub (five minute stroll across the river).  Not a cloud in the sky, stars, blah...  We came out an hour and a half later to quite a deep layer of snow, and the flakes were humungous - the five minute stroll took us half an hour, as we HAD to have a snowball fight on the way home!
  • Many years ago we had to march 18 miles in full kit(80 lbs) in heavy rain. I couldn't see the attraction but it was nice when we stopped
  • I love hearing the rain hammering against the windowpane. It is somehow comforting. I love the smell after a good drop of rain, but I hate...with passion getting soaking wet. (With the exception of the shower) I hate the damp clothing clinging to the body. I can cope for a short time if I'm on my way home, but not if I'm on my way to a meeting. Give me a bright spring morning any day.
  • "I love splashing in the puddles with my red wellies on.  When it rains, I ask my mum to take me and my little brother out (he's got yellow wellies) and we have a lovely time.
    My brother loves his wellies so much, he won't take them off when he goes to bed".
    Memories are made of this!