Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers-Painters

edited June 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I find I'm torn between writing and art.  Lots of my writing friends also paint.  I find I sometimes have a writing splurge and then a painting splurge.  I recently went to an exhibition where poets had responded to painting and artists had responded to poets.  I suspect the two are inextricably linked.  Do you find you are drawn to the other arts as well as writing?
  • Absolutely.  I can't paint, though!

I think we creative types are drawn to most art-forms.
  • Yes Betsie, I know exactly how you feel.  I would find it difficult to have to choose between writing and dressmaking/art and design etc. 
  • Yep, I'll go along with that, Betsie.  Enjoy painting but find it hard to do everything I want.  Writing always gets priority.  Love acting, too.
  • I can't paint-except walls, but I am quite a good card maker, can be very creative there.
  • Everyone of you amazes me - you are all so busy and interesting
  • I can't draw - I've tried - but I enjoy creating images with my camera. I also enjoy listening to music though I can't play any instrument. One of my photographs is on the front cover of a magazine (July edition) for which I wrote an article. Nice feeling when you see something you've created in print.
  • I used to be fantastic at drawing portraits, but I have lost the knack these days.  I really need to get back into the practise.

Isn't there some way to combine the two?.

Seeing you have an artists eyes for colour and composition, I bet your writing must reflect your other talent.
  • I love drawing, painting and photography, but I feel that these are skills that I have learned over many years. I feel that writing comes  naturally and it is something that I HAVE to do. Writing is a passion, the others are pastimes.
  • Yep, my other main art form to appreciate is definitely music (as you may have guessed, by now) - I'm as passionate about music as I am about writing - I couldn't live without either, and to be forced to do so would be akin to torture.

That I have so many friends who are musicians is testament to my obsession with music - I grew up knowing I was almost destined to 'go backstage,' as it were.

Also, some of the lyrics can be as poetry.
  • Before I got into writing, I was playing around with photography, landscape mainly. I also like listening to different styles of music, from Acker Bilk to Katie Melua.
  • Acker Bilk - yes, I like his trad Jazz.
  • The most amazing examples of 'art' are in a museum of boxes, in Berlin.
    Wooden boxes, turned on their sides with the lid propped open, are decorated in the most amazing collages - representing the lives of each artist (from all over the World).  They are like miniature 'stages' with tiny lights, and so beautifully created.  Hanging by each box is a description of the artist's life, translated into many languages.
    If you ever get the chance to go, I would highly recommend it, just wish I'd had the time to read all the life stories....I was in Berlin (2005) for a conference, not a holiday!
    Lily
  • Sounds interesting GLL.
  • I write. I also draw, paint, take photographs, and design websites :)
  • Heh heh, good point. I too am a creative driver :-D

After all, rules are for others, not artists! ;)
  • Creative Driving?

Is that the, what some might call, erratic style that differentiates male and female control of four-wheeled vehicles?
  • Be careful Jan - this could be dangerous ground!!
  • It's more that I was taught to drive by my father, an ex-army Engineer who was experienced with far more extreme road conditions than most, and who instilled in me the same skills.

I am therefore not afraid of aquaplaning, and have done so quite often without losing the car, zooming around on ice and retaining full control of the vehicle (once stopping from 50Mph in only 200 yards to avoid joining a pileup at a junction over a blind hill), and generally doing the kind of driving that is best left to the professionals ;)

Don't try it at home, kids. It takes practice, practice, and more practice!
  • Past days Troo,

When father could teach child "proper" driving skills. My tuition was similar to your own "When you can make a standing start on steep hill without crushing this matchbox" (placed tight behind rear wheel) being a typical challenge.

Present tuition is merely to comply with modern standard examination. Hence use of brakes in preference to engine and gearbox to slow/control vehicle speed required "because vehicles are fitted with dual breaking systems".
  • I think generally use of the brakes is encouraged because they can help in stopping your car :D

Braking during aquaplaning is a really dumb thing to do, and is the root cause of why so many people whose wheels lose contact with the road surface due to sheets of water actually then slide off the road. Hold the steering wheel dead straight, don't brake, don't alter speed, and you're safe as houses.

I hasten to add that deliberately aquaplaning is also a pretty dumb idea. But knowing how to handle your car if you do it by accident (such as on a poorly lit A-road at night) was considered a vital skill by my father :)
  • I have gone back a bit here, painting I absolutely love, any kind of painting, I just want to say that if you really think about it, its a lot like writing.I will explain what I mean.
    With painting, You have your Thumbnail sketch first, working out your composition and colours, with writing also, you have your sketch, your outline of the plot, your characters, where you are going to place them, like compostion in Art, you also have your beginning, eg the sketch, the middle, the drawing and plot. and of course the ending, your finished painting, with everything in its place, and a place for everything, there is a lot more I could say on this but don't want to bore anybody,but for me, painting and writing go hand in hand, they are so alike, if you can see what I mean, they both work the same way, built on a structure, an idea, a plot, a theme, the list goes on and on.
                        Angie.
  • Hi betsy,

I used to own a gallery, and I love to paint. I also worked as a seaside artist last summer at Portland Bill. It was great sitting in the sun, meeting the public, and painting at the same time. If i'm honest though, my heart belongs to writing. It just seems to be the thing I was born to do. OK, so i'm sat indoors at a keyboard, but the worlds I immerse myself in captivate me so much.

milhouse.
  • You sound truly creative Millhouse - hope you are OK these days.
  • To be honest Betsie, I'm surviving. I'm happy enough, but life is at one of those cross roads, and I've got to do the right thing. Trouble is, deciding what that is? I have a good Idea about how I want my life to be, but it's a case of finding the courage.

At present i'm technicaly homeless and unemployed, and living out of a bag. It contains my only clothes and posessions. Winter is coming and I can't even afford a coat. I have no bank account, no money to put into one, and no identity to speak of. Such is life.

On a lighter note, I began sending out to agents today :)  I have a growing confidence in my work, and I'm optomistic. Who knows what lies ahead.

Milhouse.
  • Milhouse, good luck with the agents. Did you see the upsurge of interest in hoodies! Makes you even more topical.
    On on personal note - sounds like you need a big hug. Have a huge virtual one!!
  • yup yup, i get the same. cant draw or paint to save my life though. but as well as painting and writing i also feel creative through playing the flute, listening to music and dancing. anyone else have any other creative hobbies/passions?
  • I really like something Joni Mitchell said. (In addition to being an amazing writer/poet she's also a painter). She said after a period of intensive writing she likes to paint to "rotate the crops". Love that.
  • anime-manga is the thing i love to draw and paint, in between writing sessions...the Japanese manga style's intriguing and imaginative to draw from...can't draw realistic for toffee!
  • I love writing stories and also Calligraphy, I've have invented my own style called Galligraphy :O) funny thing is...I was kept down a year at school as my writing was terrible and mesy no teacher could understand it! I'm dyslexic, maybe that why it reads great to me but to them it never made sense...

Oh well, I turning it all into success with my new ventures :O)

Gary :O)
  • Hi Betsie, I've always enjoyed both, too. Not so strange now I see from all the feedback you've had to your posted question. I've always written or typed away into the small, wee hours - love writing, passionate about it. Paint people's portraits - have always loved sketching/drawing etc. I have subscriptions to WN/WM and two Australian Artist Magazines. Hmmm, very interesting.
  • Oh the dilemma.  I do pet portraits (which I get paid for) and I write (which currently I dont get paid for).  Fortunately I have recently (shh it was over 6 months ago) given up working part-time for a boss who spent most of the day with his head up his own a**e to try to concentrate on both.  Oh and the house and the kids and the four cats, 2 guinea pigs 1 hamster and the hubby. So to answer the question, yes!!!