Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Straw poll: Catch 22, love it or hate it?

BudBud
edited August 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Well...
  • I hated it.  Turgid.  Unfunny.  Not my scene at all, but hey each to his/her own.
  • Tried to read it, gave up after the first couple of pages I think-it was so long ago. HATE.
  • Absolutely loved it. I had seen the film first, which would have coloured my reading.

Tried two more Hellers - "Something Happened" and something with "God" in the title. Complete wastes of time!
  • Good As Gold wasn't too bad. Not a patch on Catch, mind.
  • That was the other one I read: "Good as Gold", not 'God'. Didn't think much of it.
  • These arty-farty fringe-hit novels are always going to appeal to a minority of readers; possibly readers who have that extra 'vision' and shared understanding. But for the rest of us there are the time-tested quality classics of Austen, Dickens, Proust, Dostoievsky, which will always appeal, and with good reason. They can be fruitfully read time and time again. Do you agree with me?
  • In a word, no.

I like Dickens (sometimes), Proust and Dostoevsky. Don't like Austen. I also liked Catch 22. I also like Stephen King. Put simply, I like good writing. What about you?
  • There's little in this world more satisfying than coming across good writing.  Except, perhaps, producing some yourself :o)
  • A little repetitive, but very funny! LOVE IT!
  • One man's 'arty-farty fringe-hit' is another woman's 'contemporary literature'. Yep, I can read the classics too, but why limit myself?