Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book 2

Comments

• Well, guess what?  Today, I sauntered over to the post office and sent out the MS to five agents.  And I submitted to a sixth one by email this morning.

To top it all, I started Book 2 this afternoon.  I know, you probably all think I'm nuts.  The thing is, I'm  writing a series and I just could not wait to get started on the second book!  Editing and rewriting the first book before sending it off proved to be quite hard work because I kept getting distracted by ideas for the second one. 

It was a bit heart wrenching finishing the first one.  I felt so sad at the end, like I was leaving a good friend.  I think I read somewhere that some writers believe finishing a novel is like giving birth.

Anyway, I'm glad to be back with my characters.  They do make me laugh!  The really interesting and challenging thing for me will be to reintroduce some of the background history from the first book, without giving it all away.  All the previous books I have ever written have been stand alone stories rather than a series.

OK, back to work.    
  • That is what writers are meant to do MDD. By the time the agents get back to you, you will be able to sell them on the second book that is already underway.
    Hope someone will like your work and take you on.
  • Good discipline, Doc.  What genre is it?
  • That's the spirit, Doc - you'll get there.

I have yet to send anything off because I'm still not completely happy with my two mss.  *sigh* The writer's life, eh? 
  • Well done Doc. You're no nuttier that the rest of us on here. I think most of us are obsessed with writing. I wish you luck in your search for an agent.
  • Well done MDD - keep writing and all the best with the first book.
  • Thanks you all.  3 pages into new book.  Just lost an hour watching Lost on E4.

In answer to your question Anna, it's a light hearted fantasy story set in a world where magic and mythical beasts still exist. Never really thought I could write fantasy.  But when the principal characters of the story trotted into my head 11 months ago, I knew the only way it could work would be if it took place in a fantastical world.

Anyhow, onward and upward! 
  • How long Mad Doctor Dribble?

A whole novel in eleven months? That is no mean achievement. Your characters must be an intriguing bunch to keep your enthusiasm so consistent, well done.

Yours is an attitude to influence many, definitely the correct approach for success.
  • Well done Doc!
  • Well done and good luck.  What great momentum you've got going!
  • I used to be well into Lost, then missed a couple of episodes about two months back and haven't watched it since. Strangely, I don't feel especially bereft.

Good luck with your books.