Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first rejection slip

edited August 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Well I've been "Blooded" (think that's what they call it) my first rejection slip.
        My submission to Peoples friend came back as a negative,they had it for 10 days though, so fair enough.
        D.C Thompson said no so nicely though, that i feel ok about it. One day i'll be a writer. Back to the drawing board. Sorry, Writing board. ;)

Janice

• Er ... congratulations? Better luck next time.
  • Thank for that Dorothy. It didn't bother me sending it in, we all have to learn, It's coming up with the ideas that are hardest for me, then developing them.
  • Remember what's wrong for PF may be perfect for another magazine. Get guidelines and tweak it if necessary, then get it out there again. My rejection slips could paper a wall but once I started to get acceptances those rejections no longer mattered. Don't give up!
  • Well done Dobby, keep trying.
  • Good for you, don't give up.  Just think af all those now famous writers who had their work rejected time and time again. 
  • Keep going Dobby.  Good luck with your next submission.
  • I  have just returned from Swanwick and covered the short story with Della Galton.  It was an excellent four-part course on the 'dos' and 'don'ts'.  One comment she made about rejections ( and although a published author still gets them) is, that there are different kinds.  You get the standard 'Not quite what the editor had in mind'.  However, she made the point that if your letter says in it,'Would like to see more' then you are nearly but not quite there and with a bit more effort you could make it to publication.  I hope that encourages you to keep trying.
  • Keep on writing and submitting, Dobby.