Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Why?

JoJo
edited April 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Just curiosity - why are the hopeful or otherwise novelists among us writing a novel or considering writing one? For my part it's not for fame or cash (although both would be nice....). It became an ambition several years ago, and since then, I have simply HAD to write it. There's a story inside wanting to get out and has been since my early twenties or so. I read somewhere that if you want to write a novel, then you must really, really, really mean it. There's no guarantee of cash and definitely not of fame, so if they're the only reasons (and the idea of seeing one's work in print) - forget it! You must be burning to write in order to write. Luckily, I'm in the category of really, really, really wanting to. (Besides, I keep daydreaming about my protagonist.)  Also, if you had known how hard and lengthy it can be, would you have started in the first place? }-[

Jo
  • I had problems reading when I was in primary school, at seven I was still at the level of a five and a half year old in reading. I was fortunate in having a wonderful teacher who spent time helping me to read. I had a breakthrough and from that moment on I knew I wanted to write, I wanted to be a journalist. All through primary and secondary school and onto college I worked toward that goal. Unfortunately it didn't happen and I buried my desire to write. Then I reached 40 and realised I had to write, needed to write; and that's when I started my novel originally. Now I have ideas and basic plans for another four.
    So go with it, you may find there's more than one novel in you. Yes, it can be a long job, but if you think you can do it, why not. That's how I see it.
  • I just enjoy writing. It's something I need to do. I need to get my thoughts on paper. Of course, as much as I enjoy writing, I wouldn't say no to any money or maybe even a little fame.
  • Ever since I was a child I had a liking of writing stories.  I also aimed to become a journalist but when I studied the subject at high school I discovered I was better at writing fiction.
    I have always completed short stories easily.
    I am writing a novella/novel this year but am aiming to prove to myself that I can complete one.  I am not doing the job for anybody else, just for my own pleasure!!
    Alana
  • I can't believe that I'll have three things published in the one month. (Three poems and a letter in the national paper) I'm getting a buzz from seeing my name in print. I might write a novel...one day.
  • I didn't feel the need to write until I re-took my English O Level about 20 years ago.  I enjoyed writing the essays so much that I wanted to continue writing.  I sometimes actually suppress my needs to write because I feel guilty that I should be doing something better with my time.  I know this will sound terrible to all you avid writers out there.  I have lots of things started and not finished.  Lots of ideas waiting for me to bring them to life.  Let's face it, the majority of what we write never sees publication, and it is nice to be appreciated for what we do.  But I do still have this desire to write and am always jotting things down when the inspiration strikes. It is certainly my intention to do much more when I retire. How do others feel?
  • Writing is something I have always wanted to do.  When we went on family days out, and we went into a gift shop, I invariably came out with a notebook and a pen, and I couldn't wait to write something, anything, in it.

I write for myself - if I didn't, I'd go very quickly insane.  Publication would be nice, but it's not the be all and end all.  It's the satisfaction of creating something that does it for me.  It's a huge part of who I am, and when anyone asks now what I do, I say I'm a writer.
  • Since childhood I have had a craving for stories, a real bookworm. For years and years I knew that I wanted to write but I didn't write anything apart from my journal. Then last year I suddenly realised that I wasn't attempting to write because I was scared of failure. I thought that if I tried to write and couldn't it would be the end of my dream. Then I realised that it's better to try and fail than to not even make the attempt. So six months ago I started writing on a regular basis. Now I know that writing makes me happy and I will continue even if I never get published. I'm doing it for me. Output to date is several short stories - two shortlisted in WM - and I've just finished the first draft of a children's novel. As OH uses the computer all day for work, at present I do most of my writing between midnight and 5AM, that is also the only time I can really concentrate. It's a weird lifestyle - but I like it!
  • Personally I have always wanted to write a novel, and was always dismissed as a dreamer for such thoughts as a child.

While I have gone into the whole process blind, regarding structure etc, I do get great pleasure from writing. Although I generally delete my work a month or so later as I am disatisfied.

I am sure I will 'find my level' at some point however.
  • Don't delete! Save to disk. You may want it later. At any rate, it will show you how you're progressing.
  • As said, save everything. Perhaps you need to start with small things like short stories and then work up to novels. Try letters and fillers. Perhaps you will get going from then on.