Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Letter in local paper

edited August 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I've just picked up our  local daily paper and they have printed the letter I sent.  A bit of light in an otherwise miserable week!
  • Well done HP!  What was it about?
  • Wonderful. Yes what was it about?
  • An anonymous bus driver complained recently about pensioners who, now they have their free passes, "treat the buses like their personal taxi service - getting on and travelling only 1 stop."  A lot of pensioners have replied angrily that 'he too will be old one day' but no-one had mentioned that it's not just the elderly who depend on the buses.  At 48 I've just been officially declared 'virtually unable to walk' due to my osteoarthritis.  I have just got a bus pass, too and thought I'd point out the fact that the passes are for the elderly and for disabled people of ANY age.
  • Well done! There's something about being a bus driver that seems to attract miserable old - or not so old - *****s
  • I used to be one!  I drove Exeter City minibuses for 3 years 1986-89 but it was Devon General then, not Stagecoach who think they can do what they like!
  • Good for you HP, I'm glad they printed your letter when you had something so worthwhile to say.
  • Well done Hush Puppy! Good one!
  • That was well worth doing, HP!
  • OAP's have a reason for going one stop-they're older. Yesterday I saw a young woman with kids get on at the same stop as me, go round the corner and get off at the very next stop. Nothing wrong you might say but there was a short cut through from  near the bus stop to the other stop that would have taken two minutes.
  • So, what's wrong with only travelling one stop?  I never realised there was a limit. 
  • Nothing wrong with travelling one stop, but it actually took this women triple the time to use the bus.The walk would have taken three minutes maximum to get to the same point, while the bus had to pick up the passengers, pull away, stand in a queue of buses at the traffic light, then turn the corner go down the road a bit, pull in and let her off.
    Okay, I'm being picky!!!
  • Good for you, HP.
  • Well done. (:
  • My mum's younger brother (I've never called him uncle, don't ask me why) is a Stagecoach bus driver (sorry) - on the route between Brighton and Portsmouth.  He must be one of the few drivers who actually care about their customers - he even jokes with them to the point of his usual (but completely harmless) sarcasm.  One time, he was waiting to go and a lady asked him if he was going to Worthing.  No, he said.  'But it says Worthing on the front of the bus.'  'It says India on the tyres, but I'm not going there, either.'  I don't think she was very amused, but I think most can take a joke :o)
  • Well done TP - make 'em listen.
  • Oops - senior moment - I meant HP.