Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Roald Dahl

edited August 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Of course Roald Dahl. I hang my head in shame for not mentioning him. AA Milne too...right, I'll stop!
  • I know this is awful but I can't remember what I read when I was a child. I only remember stuff from my teens. I know my children wouldn't touch Enid Blyton and a cousin had given me all her books. They went back unread. I used to be a governor of a school with Enid Blyton's daughter as well! oops.
  • Roald Dahl came along when I'd "grown out of" children's books, and I never really liked him.
    However, I've since grown back into children's books - and I still don't like him much, but there's no denying his popularity.
  • My mother feels the same, she is very 'iffy' about a lot of his work. I don't think she quite agrees with the dark streak of his. Saying that, that is what I adore about his work, and what Tim Burton did with Charlie and the Choaolate Factory, well. I was all dressed up and went along for the opening night and adored it, and I believe that it would be right up Roahld's street aswell, to be honest.
  • I LOOOOOVE Roald Dahl. I did a whole creative writing poetry assessment at uni based on a combination of his work and shakespeares. My fave has to be matilda.
  • I loved (and still love) Shakespeare!  It wasn't until I went to A-Level college that I was confident reading aloud - and it was our great Mr. S who helped me with that, as his writing flows right off the tongue - so easy to read.

A friend once said to me, 'No one could write emotion like Shakespeare' - and she's right.
  • As for the late great Roald Dahl - yes, I like his writing, though I haven't read all his work.  I adore Tim Burton's vision of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - rather Goth, in a children's classic kind of way.  When we went to the cinema to see it (in French), I grinned from ear to ear all the way through it!  I remember reading The Twits and The Witches when I was at school and loving them both, and one of the best childhood books ever is Danny the Champion of the World.
  • Our daughters loved Roald Dahl - especially the bit about the grandmother's mouth looking like a dog's bottom!
  • I think Roald Dahl is a brilliant writer.
  • So it's Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl vying for top place I think!
  • I enjoy reading Roald Dahl as well, especially Danny the Champion of the World, Matilda, Boy and Going Solo.