Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Times book review

edited July 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• These are a few quotes from Neel Mukherjee's review of Irving Welsh's new book (The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs) in yesterday's Times:

"Irving Welsh's sixth novel is so awful that ........ it invents its own category of awfulness."

"... the book should become a textbook on how not to write fiction."

"...... this lazy, dishonest, appallingly written rubbish ..."

"Those howls of rage of his early years have turned to the empty baying of a dog. Take him away."

There's a hint there that he didn't like it!!
  • Yes Jenny, but he did manage to get it published. There's hope for us all yet:-)
  • Haven't read it, so obviously can not pass judgement. 
    But there comes a point in an acclaimed person's career where they are so acclaimed they can do anything, and the people who would in any ordinary situation tell them it's not possible, or simply it's a bit crap, just don't say it.
  • I'd copy and paste the whole review on here, but I don't want to put Writers News at risk of being involved in any possible libel action!
  • We may be able to read it online. But it does show that even writers and publishers get it wrong sometimes!
  • All writing is subjective, though.  Someone else might think it's the best thing published this year...

I haven't read it, but that's a pretty scathing review.  What we all have to remember is that it's not personal, even though it may feel like it.
  • Put Dangerous Food Poisoning  in the Times online search box, and you can read the review.
    Very cruel review, but if what the reviewer has said is true, it may actually be deserved.
    I wouls suggest if you're angry or depressed it's not a good read!
    The title????? What has it got to do with the subject matter? Perhaps it's a ploy to get people to buy it thinking it's about chefs and sex!
  • Hopefully these comments are a sign that reviewers are not afraid to tell the truth any more, even if we don't agree with their perception of it.
    As for the ploy to sell the book, I am waiting to see if the Library order Jordan's Angel instead of Marian Keyes' Angels.
    Patty
  • There's enough acid in that to strip the paint off a wall.
  • Well as I understand it John Grisham's first book 'A Time to Kill' was rejected because it was about racial hatred.  It was only accepted after he became successful.  I thought it was one of his best.
  • Do you think the reviewer might have had a manuscript rejection, and after reading what he feels is an inferior book, decided to have a rant?!!!
  • I've read unflattering reviews before but nothing quite like that. I wonder what Neel Mukherjee did with his copy of the book!