Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Toast

edited July 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I have just finished reading Toast The story of a boy's hunger by Nigel Slater and rate it 100 out of 100! Absolutly fantastic. Compulsive reading. The short snappy chapters make it a book thats easy to put down and come back to and wonderful for if you only have a short amount of time to read. I was amazed by his descriptions of many of the foods he ate as a child, as they were so similier to those same experiences that I had, despite the age differences! The follwing passage is one of the best in my opinon, and is one that I swear to feeling too. 'You can't smell a hug. You can't hear a cuddle. But if you could, I reckon it would smell and sound of warm bread-and-butter pudding.' And yes, that is my most loved dessert!
  • It's great to get a reading tip MM, I'll look out for it.
  • I enjoyed Toast too - I thought it a very clever book despite the simple language.  Nigel Slater has given us his biography with food as stepping stones.  We learned about some very sad and traumatic times for a child but he tells it without self pity or mawkishness.  A great read. 
  • 'You can't smell a hug. You can't hear a cuddle. But if you could, I reckon it would smell and sound of warm bread-and-butter pudding' - I like that!