Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Electronic readers

edited June 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Does anyone have an electronic reader? What are the pros and cons? Do you think they'll replace individual books in schools?
  • Don't have one.I think they've only just come out in the States. Apparently they can hold about 8 books at a time. Although e-books will be cheaper than printed books I still like the feel of paper. BUT in schools, yes, I think you have a point Jay. They could be used for text books etc the only snag is the cost. Once the price comes down to something manageable and the equipment is unbreakable, I think schools could make good use of electronic readers. Think of the light satchels. I still have a dip in my shoulder.
  • Don't like the idea.  Won't get one.  They'll never replace books while there are bloody-minded people like me around, people who loves books for their own sakes.  The text is made far more alluring because it's contained within a book, with its unique smell and feel.  I'd be heartbroken and horrified if they were made obsolete.
  • Three cheers for books!
  • Anything electronic can only perform a supporting role to the written word. The printed page forms the gateway between author and readers minds.

As for use in schools. Progressive generations of our offspring continue to show less respect for everything. Until discipline once more becomes a normal part of young culture, there can be no chance of such technology being profusely available for general schooling.
  • For an interesting article, see

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/05/07/npub07.xml
  • We are all turning into a robot minded society, it's an dreadful and fearful prospect.
  • Hi Jay
    I had a visiter from the states who had one.
    It was amazing held loads of books and worked well while travelling and at night no light needs to be on also no reading glasses needed. I was impressed.
    They are not here yet.
    But unlike others of you I will definality be getting one.
  • Hi, Val. Was it much the same size as a paperback? How heavy was it? How easy to read and 'turn over' the pages? Do you know how many books one of them can hold?
  • I think the first e-readers are released about November time.  I will most definitely be buying one.  I have already downloaded Microsoft Reader on to my computer.  They are the perfect solution for someone like me who loves books, but lacks the space for storage.  I do agree that retailing them at the same price as a printed and bound book is too expensive.
  • I Think it held about 70 or so books The new vertion coming out has a better screen and you can easy find the pages with a curser and jump from one book to another. Its easy to download its the same size as a book.
  • Go to SonyStyle.com
    then to Portable readers
    Should be availble soon
  • I won't be getting one, I like books too much. It's something about the smell, the feel, the look. Imagine saying 'I'm taking the electronic reader to bed to read' Instead of 'Going to bed with a good book' I love curling up with a good book.
  • I have on my computer and on CD roms, many Bibles, commentaries and reference books which I constantly access in my work. I can paste texts and quotes into Word, Pageplus etc. I often increase the size of the font when reading on screen. But for recreational reading, I much prefer a book. Again I love the feel and smell of books. 
  • For those interested in e-books I thoroughly recommend <www.fictionwise.com>.  They have over 30,000 titles from approx 15,000 authors and seem to add around 100 new titles every week.  They cover a wide range of styles in both fiction and non-fiction - everything from the classics to the very latest publications.  On the fiction side there are short stories, novellas as well as complete novels - perfect for a fiction addict like me.

Most books are discounted often within the first week and there are various other special offers including an occasional store-wide sale.  There are even bigger savings if you join the "Buywise club."

Thanks to fictionwise I've read works by authors I would never have access to any other way.

Buying and downloading books is an easy process and having a few books on my computer doesn't overload my bookshelf.

Whilst nothing can replace the simple pleasure of curling up in an armchair with a good book, spending ten or fifteen minutes (okay, maybe a tad longer than that) reading books on a computer or other reading device is a lot more fun than playing solitaire!
  • I guess electronic readers might be suitable for people with disabilities, and perhaps an elite section of our society like the national library historical section and some boarding schools. Maybe also for professional business situations and academia.

They would also eliminate the need for book shelves.

I'm trying to think of all the benefits, but I like paper too much.  Even my computer is wonderful to reach out with, but I wouldn't want to 'relax' in front of a computer with a glaring screen and electrical emissions.

Reading is what I do to relax so I'll stick with paper books.
  • I'm with you Regie, there is nothing like the feel of paper as you turn the pages!