Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A drawback

edited July 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Do you find that when involved in a writing project (i.e writing a book) that you don't seem to read? It may sound strange but all my concentration is focused on writing and so even when I'm reading I'm thinking about my ideas and what I'm going to write next. Is this just me?
  • No Geoff that pretty much sums things up. Because I've been doing articles recently I have been reading more. But as soon as I start fiction, it's harder to read-concentrate on reading I should say.
  • I used to make up the numbers in a long running D&D game, but I found I couldn't maintain having a character in the D&D story and writing my own stuff at the same time, so Jirel of Joiry and her lace trimmed armour had to go!
  • Perhaps poets work differently Amboline. Will have to see what the poets say, will be interesting to find out.
  • Geoff, I'm in the same boat as you.  My collection of books to read is piling up.  For the last year or so, I seem to find time to read only when I'm on holiday.  Even when I'm not writing, I'm always thinking about it.  Since reading about how other Talkbackers keep up with their reading, feeling a bit guilty! 
  • I'm also feeling guilty. Well I guess everybody's different. What fun would it be if everybody had the same opinion. Thanks for your responses.
  • My only problem is that I'll often start a book and get distracted, either by something equally important (recently, the Montreux Jazz Festival in which two separate bands - all friends - were playing).  I don't remember the last time I had only one book on the go, though.  Must have been when I was about seven :o)
  • A lot of the novels I read are as much for research as enjoyment. Sometimes I find something that is so good I feel that it can't possibly influence my writing then I just sit back and enjoy it as a great book. I've just read The Shadow of the Wind and I thought WOW if only I had it in me to write something like that. Others I take notes from, both positive and negative. I think it's important to read as well as write, if only to find out what sells.