Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

It's Never Too Late!

edited July 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Under the heading of "It's never Too Late" I read an inspiring article in The San Francisco Chronicle about a 63 year old professor who has just had his first book published. It's a legal thriller and the publisher signed him up to a "mid-six-figure" two book deal. Instead of thinking about retirement he took up writing. Quite inspiring and hopeful. I am enclosing the web site for the article. It's rather long, but may well be worth a look. Who knows, we may read an interview with the author in a future WM. Geoff/R

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/15/BUGPTJVIVN1.DTL&type=business
  • Phew. Going by his example then, I've still got twenty years to of practice in front of me. Thank goodness for that!
  • I'm sure I've mentioned this before - Mary Wesley was 70 when she started writing seriously and had her first novel published when she was 72.  She went on to become quite famous and published many novels.
  • Lesser known author, Maisie Hampton, was 80 when her first novel was published. When I met her in January she looked good for at least another ten.
  • Writers News August page 29 tells of a 90 year old who has just won an award for his academic writing - his last chance to see it published. Good for him!
  • I am that age and I have decided this year to submit my poetry work which has been in folders upstairs.  Lack of confidence and the thought of rejection stopped me so many times.  Now I am working on a book too.  As you say,'It's never too late'  If I am not successful I will keep on plugging away.
  • Good for you Rosie - we'll all be asking for your autograph one day.
  • Yes, good for you Rosie, and good luck!
  • Don't forget to let Writers News or Writing Magazine know when you're successful!