Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Margaret Atwood - Love 'em or hate 'em.

edited May 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• For my Language and Literature A-level this year we had an awful choice of texts to study, our teacher (bless her cotton socks) thought that at an 18-2 female majority Margaret Atwood's Surfacing would be a fine feminist novel for the class to bond over.

The year started and the class as a whole gave it a bad reception, saying things like it's boring and pointless, she's an idiot ect... I however was hooked from the first paragraph, her style of writing is so calculated and intricate and I have never come across a text so well constructed. I finished reading it the day I got it.

Just wondering if any of you distinguished readers were familar with the novel and how you felt about the story and her writing style.
  • I've never got on well with Margaret Atwood but I remember reading Surfacing a few years ago and liked it a lot, much more than others of hers. I can't recall the details of it now, perhaps I'll get it out of the library to reread since you're reminded me of it.
  • I heard one of her more recent works on Book at Bedtime on Radio 4, a year or two ago. It was interesting, but I don't think I could have stuck with reading the whole book.
  • I read The Handmaid's Tale as part of my studies - loved it, though it was quite a hard read.  Someone lent me a copy of Cat's Eye some years later, but I found I still preferred Handmaid.
  • I loved The Handmaid's Tale, too, but haven't read any of her other work (I'm glad you mentioned it Taffetapunk, as I was struggling to remember the title!).
  • I have actually heard alot of people say 'The Handmaid's Tale' being the best of her novels. It's one I'd like to read, but not right now (my brain is all squiffy and all over the place). When I have some free time and can laze about in the garden or in the bath I might start it.

I'm glad there are at least other people who thought this book was as good as I found it.
  • Argh, my grammar is terrible. Is there anyway to edit posts when you've already sent them?
  • No :o)  Make sure you press 'submit' then read what you've written - once you press submit when it's in the larger typeface, it's sent.
  • hate it hate it hate it!! cannot get the hang of her. im retaking this unit AGAIN for AS. thankfully the english department at my college have got the hint that the majority of people dont get along with the text (handmaid's tale)...so instead we're doing 'spies' by michael frayn.

but i certainly wouldnt recommend her.
  • I think it's all a matter of taste - I would certainly class Margaret Atwood as literary fiction, and some people just can't get on with that.  There's nothing wrong with that, of course, as all literature is subjective, whether the lecturers like that fact or not.  It's also part of the reason it's so difficult to get an agent/publisher these days.
  • Jennifer. I didn't know you could do this for AS, what exam board are you on? For my AS level exams I did 'Much ado about nothing' and D. H. Lawrence.
    Bah, would have been much more interesting to do a novel, not that I don't like ole Will Shakey but I get enough of play reading for my Drama and Theatre Studies exams.
  • haha! i do AQA exam board. novels suck. theyve brought in over the past couple of years that it has to be closed text, as does the A2 exams. ive got to know othello inside-out and same with blake's songs of innocence and songs of experience. *groan* blake is sooo boring!! i like shakespeare which i think is the only reason why i am doing A2 english lit.
  • "novels suck"

If it weren't for novels, my way of thinking would no doubt be very different.  I adore novels, and think there's nothing to beat curling up with a mug of steaming coffee and a book.
  • i was more talking along the lines of studying for exams...sorry if that wasnt made clear.

outside of exams, me- LOVE novels to pieces, and its quite tragic when that becomes literally true :-/.
  • OK, no problem.  I did think it was a bit odd to say that on a writers' forum :o)

All my books are calling to me, at the moment, at least the ones I brought to Switzerland with me.  But, needs must - I have writing and coursework (copy-editing) to do, and reading has to wait until the evenings.
  • I read Handmaid's Tale through my degree course.  I also have the video.  Thought it was a good book although found some of the ideas a bit over the top.
  • I have just read 'Cat's Eye' by Margaret Atwood whilst on holiday. It is a wonderful, chilling and absorbing novel. It examines the terrors  of bullying and how the effects can stay with us for the rest of our lives.
    Lizzie
  • I agree Lizzie. I loved Cat's Eye. I read it years ago but you have made me want to read it again
    Jennifer - I would love to know what you do like reading. Who are you're favourite authors?
  • Like you Hippo I am trying to remember the one Atwood novel I read. It was about her relationship with her sister. I think it was called 'The Blind Assassin'. I also believe it won a lot of awards. I did enjoy it but I remember having to grit my teeth and stick with it sometimes.

Similar to my love affair with 'Antonia Byatt'. I loved 'Possession' a real historical treasure hunt interwoven with myths and legends plus a romance over time. Wonderful but she's not easy.
  • Tilly- i love fantasy mostly. my favourite authors are david eddings, erica james (i know, not fantasy but just what you need to curl up with when you are feeling very poo) and brian jacques. i sometimes like light general fiction but nothing overly romantic and certainly nothing depressing or heavy going. i also enjoy crime, patricia cornwell in particular, and harlan coben.

also, if anyone likes going back to teenage books and enjoys teenage fantasy novels, try tamora pierce. in particular 'the song of the lionness' and the 'the immortals' quartets. theyre amazing!!
  • Yes.....I heard her being interviewed and she mentioned her invention - the idea sounded good, one can hardly be on three continents all at the same time, signing books...she came across as such an intelligent woman and so NOT a senior citizen, in her mind or body.
    An inspiration to us all.
  • I didn't like Handmaid's Tale, but I can't deny it was well-written.
    I've just found Negotiations with the Dead, a book about writing, in the local library, and I am enjoying reading that.
  • There's a quote from Margaret Atwood in the latest Writers News (August issue, page 4).

"Everyone thinks writers must know more about the inside of the human head, but that is wrong. They know less. That's why they write. Trying to find out what everyone else takes for granted."

Rubbish!
  • I think Margaret Atwood is a clever writer but sometimes I come across a book that lets me down a bit - rare as I have read all her books I think. I especially like the short stories and poetry - it just refuses to give you what you expect. I used her poetry in a piece of theatre I recently directed and it is so expressive and a little unnerving! So I guess I have to fall intot eh Love 'em category!
    Jill :-)
  • tee hee - I'm another one who doesn't check the spelling before hitting the submit reply button!