Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

How Much?

edited June 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Is there a maximum amount that you'd pay for a paperback (fiction)? How many of you wait for the paperback version or are there some authors you just have to read the moment their new book comes out?
  • No more than £7.99 (and it has to be a thick one for that much!).  If I'm going to buy a hardback I have to be pretty convinced that it is going to be value for money.
  • There are only two writers whose books I can't wait for the paperback - Mich
  • I agree about waiting for the paperback. On Friday I was in Waterstones and saw the large size paperback version of the next Amanda Quick novel. I was seriously tempted to spend the extra, but decided to wait for the normal size version.
    I would probably pay up to 6.99 for a reasonable sized paperback, but I always look to see if there are any special deals going elsewhere.
  • TP just thought you might be interested - Joanne Harris was my son's French teacher. I met her at parents evening a couple of times. She told me Greg (my son) had a great French accent and I was so amazed I almost fell off my chair. She seemed nice enough but most of the boys thought she was a b...h because she talked down to the kids in the classroom. They were only 14 but they thought they should be treated as adults. Oh yes as if boys ever grow up.

I'm not that fond of her books. I've only read two though.
  • That's interesting, Flick.  Ever since I was working in Ottakar's and picked up the uncorrected proof copy of Chocolat, I've been unable to resist her books.  She has such a sensual way of writing that the smells and sounds, etc, just leap off the page.

As for Michèle Roberts (also half-French, half-English), I read The Wild Girl as part of my studies at university, and I was hooked from the first page.  She's a brilliant writer, and is not nearly well-known enough.  I'm always gobsmacked whenever someone says they know who she is - I think it's happened maybe once or twice in the ten years I've been reading her books.
  • I see Joanne Harris's new one uses characters form a school. Wonder if I'd recognise anyone. TP, would you like to suggest one of Michele Roberts for me to read?
  • Flick, try Impossible Saints - it's a beautifully written book, and basically gives a series of short stories all bound by one character.

Her latest is called Reader, I Married Him - and I should have seen that ending coming! 

Whatever you can get (and they are hard to find) will be well worth the effort.

A list of her books can be found on her website here http://www.micheleroberts.co.uk/my_books.htm
  • I've resisted the HP series, as well, Dorothy - on general principle (because it's fashionable, and anything that's fashionable is usually given a wide berth).
  • I haven't read any Harry Potter books but I've heard Stephen Fry reading the first two on audio tapes and he does it brilliantly.

I took them out of the library to keep me entertained while washing up, cooking, etc!
  • I got the first couple of Harry Potter books pressed into my arms juuuuust before he became fashionable, otherwise I would have resisted too. My general belief is that the stronger the hype the worse the product.

I steamed through both books in about four hours, then mugged my friend for the third one and read that overnight. Then when the fourth came out I snatched it off the shelf and read it, but found it just wasn't as good as the first three.

Since then the downward trend has continued AND accellerated. To my mind none of them beat Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
  • Iv'e read all the Harry Potter books and Iam unashamed to declare myself a fan. Richard and Judy interviewed JKR tonight and then several children asked her questions. What a treat for these young fans to ask JKR questions! I have to admit that I found the last HP book very slow starting but the action came later.
  • A book has to be something pretty special before I even consider buying it new!  There's so much to choose from in Hay-on-Wye that I only buy new books by authors I'm particularly keen on - the last was American Gods by Neil Gaiman.  The follow up to that is out at the moment, Anansi Boys, but I haven't quite got that hunger to read it yet....
  • it depends on fiction or non-fiction. for some reson i generally prefer hardback fiction, especially if its a BIG book. but that makes it even more expensive heehee.

the most ive paid is £9.99 for paperback fiction. that was 7 years ago so it probably be more now. plus it was a whole series in one book. t.h. white's 'the once and future king'. dad was very pleased with that buy. i had used my £10 well done money for a good report (i was 11, year 6). we had to buy a book and i wasnt allowed to buy all my usual authors as my parents have always been trying to get to very my authors and genres of books i read.

more recently the most ive spent is £7.99 on david eddings paperbacks as they have once again increased in price, grr...

i ALWAYS buy paperback. smaller, cheaper and easier to pack when going on holiday. if im really desperate to read a new book then il get it out of the library. as staff i dont have to pay reservation fees or fines =D. seriously, anyone with kids looking for jobs, advise them to go into libraries. thepay is really good and you get loads of usual benefits which can benefit family as well.