Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Radio - worth the effort?

edited June 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi all.
    I published my first novel via PoD in January.
    This week I did my first radio interview on BBC Radio Lincs and I also have two additional interviews on Rutland Radio and Lincs FM.
    My 'gut' feel is that although tis is great experience it has very little impact on sales. Obviously I'd be happy to have this disproved though :-)

What is the opinion of those of you out there with a little more expereince in this than myself?

Rgds
    Taffybach

www.lovesey.net
  • Hi Taffy

If your books are available in a local shop then mention it :O)

Anthing you have appeared in, use it, put it onto your site with a small bit of where its from, its very easy for people to forget anything you may have said as time goes by, so use it to show people what you have done :O)

Carols been in loads of paperas and radio and we state 'as featured on radio' in our site because it is true :O) I still get stopped as people still remember me off the Richard and Judy show and even from a crap picture in the News of the World magazine that I was in about 'Luck School'

We put everything we can to show people that we can be trusted and are genuine :O) we even have the welcome to writers news off last months edition, basically use everything you can :O) what we did do though was clal the local press to tell them we were on the radio and they did print a short article, so call them and see if they willing to mention that your featured on the local radio :O)
  • lol and oops :O)

You already do list them so far, I've just read your website :O)

Good luck with the radio, hope it sells more books for you :O)

Gary and Carol :O)
  • As said, make sure you get your book mentioned, and ensure it's available locally to where the Radio station broadcasts to. Tell the book shop you are going to be on radio, and when, and hopefully they might take a few copies. It's worth a try.
  • Thanks for the advice.
    I followed your tip when I was over in Spalding recently and a local boostore have agreed to carry my book due to the radio coverage and a small article that appeared in the local press.

Two more radio interviews now lined up (Radio Cambs and LIncs FM). If I keep this up I'll soon be famous in my own postcode!  :-)

Taff
  • Fantastic news Taff :O)  keep it up :) it all helps.

Gary and Carol :O)
  • Glad to hear it is going well Taffybach, hopefully you'll get plenty of sales from it.
  • Well done!
  • So just what did you do to get yourself interviewed on radio anyway, Taff? Do you phone them up and pimp yourself out? :)
  • Pretty much  :-)

It wasn't that hard but I think my web page helped.
    I checked the online listing for the radio stations and chose a presenter that carried out interviews (usually the mid afternoon shows or late evening). I then dropped them an email with a brief intro to that presenter, gave them my web page and asked to be on the show.
    I approached six and four have responded with interviews. The remaining two have not yet returned my email but I live in hope :-)

I'm pretty sure that the two factors that swung the balance were the fact I have a title out there (albeit PoD) plus the web page presence that allowed the presenter/producer to check my background.

Taff
  • Actually Tess that's my twin brother - I dare not appear myself in case the demons see me!  ;-)

Taff
  • Ha ha, awesome, Taff!
  • Just checked out your website, Taffybach.  Was curious as to what 'normal' is!  Now I know.  Liked your sample chapters.
    As for radio - go for it.  It's certainly better than not bothering.
  • Might give that a go Taffy, Carol (mine) did radio last year maybe as things moving on great for us we should approach them again?

I like the way you approached them backing all you said up via your website :O) would never have thought if that and its pretty obvious...doh to us ( well Carol;O) ((mine))  )