Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Rescue Me!

edited June 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi everyone. Remember me? I haven’t posted on Talkback for ages. I was poorly for a while – nothing too serious – and I just got out of the habit. (Does that make me sound a bit like a nun on bath night?) Anyway, I’m here to tell anyone who doesn’t already know - and if you do know, I’m sorry I’m telling you again – I’ve got a short story in ‘The People’s Friend’ this week! It’s the first one I’ve had published and I’m really pleased with myself. It’s called ‘Rescue Me!’ I hope lots of you will read it.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done Sylvia
  • Congratulations Sylvia. Hope you're feeling better, and I'm sure the publication of your short story is a real boost.
  • Fantastic, Sylvia!!!
  • Congratulations Sylvia, welcome back!
  • Wonderful news - well done
  • Well Done, Sylvia.
  • Great news :O)

Gary and Carol :O)
  • Well done Sylvia. The Peoples Friend is a great place to start. The staff there are so friendly and helpful, and most of their rejections give good feedback to help you improve. Now that they have accepted a story, make sure you send them more while they remember you. Once you are established as one of their writers you will even get a Christmas card!
  • Congrats Sylvia! Well done
  • I was taking my weekly visit to W.H.Smith this morning, and stood and read 'Rescue Me'. I really enjoyed reading it, it was a lovely story. It is the first thing you come to when you open the magazine. Very well done, and may you have many more.
  • I love getting in the huddle round the mags in W H Smith for a good read.  Next time you do it have a look at all the 'Huddle People' - they fit the genre of the mag they're reading.  Certain types (some verging on anorak status) devour the computer mags.  Then there's the fast car gang with their baseball caps and cool shades - usually young men.  Several ladies who knit and do crafts - homely types.  The top shelf mag guys aren't there because they wait until no one's about to ogle the risque stuff. A few more anoraks-ish guys are doing the train, boats, planes, mags.  Then there's my favourite bunch, the writers, they flit round the lot, exploring all genres, looking for new markets, reading the small print to see if they take unsolicited stuff.  Yes - I love a good huddle in W H Smiths.
  • Sorry - me again.  Don't forget to read Rescue Me next time you're huddling.
  • Congratulations, Sylvia!
  • Brilliant Sylvia!
  • Well done Sylvia.  Like Betsie, I read your story while lurking between the shelves of WH Smith's.  (No huddles in our branch!)  It was a nice, well written story.  How did you like your illustration?  One of the things that appeals to me about trying to get into PF is the fact that I'd get an illustration.  I always wonder if the picture would match up with my own image of the characters and setting.
  • Sorry Carol - you were in the huddle first!
  • Great news Sylvia, well done!

A bit worried about all the lurking and huddling though. I hope someone is actually buying the magazines otherwise they'll go out of business and we'll have nothing to write for!
  • Thank you all so much for your kind words and congratulations. I'm pleased you enjoyed my story.
        I'm not sure I can condone all this lurking and huddling either, Dreaminspires. I felt guilty enough leafing through PF week after week looking for my story. That was before Sal told me that they send you an advance copy of the issue your work will appear in. I don't think I would dare stand there and read a whole story. To those of you did dare to, though – thanks lots.
        It wasn't easy kicking the Talkback habit, Dorothy, but for a while, when I wasn't well, my computer didn't get switched on at all so I suppose that helped. I know Talkback is great, but I was wasting so much time on it, it wasn't funny. I was beginning to spend more time Talkbacking than writing, so it had to go. Sorry Webbo.
        I can't give it up altogether, though. It would be like turning my back on old friends and I couldn't do that. In future I'm going to have to exercise a bit of self-discipline and limit myself to just one - well, two maybe - looks into TB per day.

Sylvia XX