Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Celeb biographies

edited May 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hello everybody,
    This isn't something we've tried before, but we wanted to canvas some opinions for use in a potential news feature. I've also noted some comments in other threads.
    How do you feel about the publishing trend towards celebrity books and huge advances for cash-ins? Does anyone read the resultant books? Which biographies or memoirs in recent years have you enjoyed?
    Has the celebrity publishing industry reached saturation point? Can anyone see a market (or would you perhaps even consider reading) memoirs by the mothers of Boy George and Pete Doherty?
    Would you ghostwrite such a biography if asked?
    Lastly, would you consider buying the autobiography of a young, bespectacled web designer who shot from nowhere to web infamy in less than a year?
    Thanks for your input,
    Webbo
  • I don't object to biographies of older celebrities/sportsmen, as they often have done something with their lives.
    But what has a twenty year old done that deserves these huge sums. I ask you, Wayne Rooney's three biographies planned over the next few years. Why?
    Yes it provides work for ghost writers, but I wouldn't want to do it.
    Publishers go for these celebrity bios because many of them have shareholders, and they have to turn in a profit. The celeb has a profile, a following which can be built on, and will guarantee sales.
    New and unknown writers will be unlikely to make these vast sales, so they don't get the support.
    If you want a celebrity biography go and look in any charity shop where you can view a selection, and if you wish, buy at a realistic price.

As for your bio Webbo, I'm sure we could make an exception!
  • Hi Webbo,

I'm not buying into all this celebrity crap - unless someone is old enough to have something to say, and that person is interesting, I wouldn't even think about it.  To give an idea of what I think of all these new so-called celebrities: I was on a train the other week, and saw someone had a book with them - wow, someone actually reading, thinks I, until I realise it's Jordon's *ahem* autobiography.  Less than interesting, then, thinks I.

The only biog I've picked up in recent weeks is Life on Air - but I think that at 80 years old, and having led a fascinating life, Sir David Attenborough is guaranteed to have something worthwhile to say.  At least he's earned his fame by fair means, and is worthy of the praise he gets.

Chantelle?  Who's she?  Jordan?  Famous for being Jordan.  What's the point?

If I were ever asked to ghost an autobiog, it would have to be for someone who was otherwise too busy (doing real work, not 'being a celeb') to do it themselves - otherwise, forget it.
  • autobiography = writing the story of one's own life; story so written.

biography = written life of a person; branch of literature dealing with persons' lives; life-course of a living (usually human) being.

I am aware that we Talkbackers will be familiar with The Concise Oxford Dictionary definitions but thought actual wording to be worth a reminder. The aforementioned publishers and celebrities seem to need reminding.

The key word in every description is LIFE.
    The average human is nurtured in their first decade,  formal education and growth development fills most of their second decade. In their third decade, opportunity is taken to experiment and test their fledgling adulthood, making mistakes but with many years left to refine and perfect themselves. Fourth and fifth decades see the average human adult honing their skills and passing gained knowledge on to the next generation.
    Thus, realistically, it is only when we pass into our sixth decade that, having experienced sufficient variety of trials and tribulations, we may have wisdom worthy of sharing with the general public.

Teenagers memoirs? They need to grow up first. Performers, sport celebrities and the like, whilst still participating in their chosen activities must still be learning aspects of that trade. One must complete one's own journey before claiming sufficient knowledge to guide others on the same pilgrimage.

Sorry, rant over and apologies for taking so much space.

Parents of said individuals? Now that is a different story, one that may well be worth sharing. I would consider helping that age of person write their memoirs.

As for our bespectacled web designer. The word "young" precludes any chance of an autobiography for the foregoing reasons. However, I will gladly help writing the book of how he has achieved "web infamy" in such a short time.
  • Ah, you haven't realised his photo is in every issue, yes a real one. No, I'm not revealing how I know.
  • I, too, can fell a bit of a rant coming on. Celebrities are just people. They are not automatically interesting for being able to perform in some way. What arrogance to think that we want to know about Rooney just because he can kick a ball.  I have browsed books ghost written for Beckham, for example, but have never been tempted to buy one; I can feel the strain in the words as the writer tries to engage the reader with candy floss emotions. I would never ghost write one either. (By extension, would an artist paint a picture suggested by a celebrity to be subsequently sold as an “original”? It’s ridiculous! )  In contrast, Alan Bennett’s recollections and musings or ‘Chronicles’ by Bob Dylan are well written, fascinating and worth every penny paid.
  • I read recently about a celeb aged 31 - name forgotten - writing an autobiography. This is ridiculous - the person has only lived 31 years!! The media seems obssessed with celebs. A book about Webbo - now there's an idea. Webbo's pic - do you mean someone whose name begins with J?
  • I agree with all of the above. These so-called autobiogs. make me angry because publishers are spending a lot of money producing and publicising them - but I think that there has actually been a shortage of good, new novels in recent years.  The publishers are wasting money producing this trash. Who reads them? The same people who watch the awful "reality" TV shows. The media is dominated by so-called celebrities. When will this awful trend end?
  • And another thing (Sorry Webbo really has stirred the pot).

"This is your Life", I remember Eamon Andrews (circa 1955+) surprising apparently "ordinary" people to reveal heroic or self-sacrificing acts that they, themselves, had kept secret.

Few, broadcast, events seem to bother with factual or informative presentation. Almost everything appears to be produced in an over simplified style to encourage mindless, zombie-like, infatuation which stifles originality.

Books are promoted for this herd instinct that is being financed by greedy manipulators. Trouble is, can one blame them for "feeding" an apparent demand?
  • Hi Webbo,
    to be quite honest, I couldn't two hoots about celebrities and their (on the whole boring) lives. The only biography I ever read was Stephen King's (auto) On Writing which only included a brief autobiog because it  related to writing.The really important people in my life are not celebrities.
    I find celebrities bore me to tears and such memoirs and biographies would also bore me. Yes, I think celeb marketing in all aspecs is taking over the news. Who cares if Posh spice is pregnant, has a nose job or whatever? Why is it important for the world to know about them?
    I prefer real people and real news.
    I wouldn't do ghostwriting, although I do write about ghosts but there we go! Rant over.
  • I can only agree with everything that's been said above.  But be honest now, if you were offered a large amount of money for ghostwriting a book, wouldn't you just be a teensy bit tempted?  I know I would, since the earnings from that could fund me on my quest to produce something more worthwhile.
  • Stan- yes.
    Lily, I don't think I would, no matter how much was offered.
  • Oh Carol - you either have more principles or more money than me, or maybe both!  I'm not working at the moment so maybe this colours my perspective on the matter, but what if that money from the ghostwriting gave me enough to live off for the next 2 years so I could concentrate on writing the sort of things I really want to write?  I think I might say yes.  Maybe it would depend on who the celebrity was too.
  • Celebrity bios annoy the living daylights out of me. I've read about people who have had an interesting life, like Nancy Wake (called the White Mouse by the Gestapo in WW2) and Christopher Lee, the actor. I haven't read any celebrity bios, I stay well away from that section of the bookshop. I read in the paper this morning that Oprah Winfrey has just signed a deal for $12 million for her autobiography. I have no idea what that is in pounds. I couldn't believe it, imagine the size of the market for her book. As for the young, bespectacled web designer, it depends on what he or she has done to get there.
  • I can see what both Dorothy and Amboline are saying. In the far distant past people often had shorter lives and took on great responsibility at a much younger age- so they did more.
    I have no problem with a celebrity who has come through severe problems to get where they are, and wants to use that to help others.
    But so often, that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's another stage in their celebrity status, to be done before their star wains and no one gives a damn about them anymore, and their income goes the same way.
  • Hello again,
    Thanks very much for all your input. It's been very constructive to read your opinions, and some very pertinent points have been made.
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • You know, I've been thinking about this all day (on account of waiting to hear back from a job interview so being unable to concentrate on anything constructive). 

While I still think the money for these biogs is excessive, the role of ghostwriter is becoming more attractive.  As writers we have to be interested in people don't we, whether we are personal fans of those people or not.  Before my sudden recent exit from psychiatric nursing I had to work with many people I wouldn't have chosen to spend time with otherwise eg people who had been in prison, been involved in drugs, people who had abused children etc etc.  You name it, I heard it.  While I didn't like the stuff that people had done, talking to them over periods of time did give me an insight into another kind of world, very far removed from my own.  That is something I can draw on when I write. 

I suppose ghostwriting someone's biog might be similar in a way.  It gives you access to a person you'd never normally have dealings with, a window on their world, and a chance to figure out what makes them tick.  Think of all the material and ideas you could collect for your other writing (identities well disguised, of course).  Webbo - if you do want a ghostwriter for your biog, here I am!
  • It's probable that most of these celebrity "autobiographies" are given as presents by people who can't think of an alternative.

Whether the recipients ever read them is open to dispute!
  • He could start writing it whilst he's in Hawaii in his grass skirt.
  • I take it we'll not be watching the David Beckham story tonight (she creeps away to see what's on the other channels)
  • Hello, late to the party as usual, I was reading this thread and getting quite hot under the collar and thought "Right time to add my voice!" and hit the scroll button. I came to a screeching halt when I read Amboline's contribution because everything I wished to say is there so thank you Amboline. I am in full agreement with your argument.
  • Going back to what Lily said earlier about my saying I wouldn't do it, no matter the financial offer.
    We each have our own individual style, our 'voice'; but to do these biographies the ghostwriter has to suppress those things- in some ways 'become' that celebrity while they are writing their story.
    I couldn't think of anything worse, trying to do that job.
    Yes we have to be interested in people, but the subjects of our books are usually ordinary bog-standard people who readers can identify with, sympathise with.
    Honestly I can't do that with a celebrity, however deserving they may be.
  • I read Ronan Keating's ghost written biography back in 1999, which would have made him about 22 at the time, and I cried when he talked about his mother's death from breast cancer.  The truth is, some people can live for a hundred years and never take a risk, and any kind of memoirs would be boring.

As for the likes of Jordan, Wayne Rooney, Chantelle, Jade Goody and Kerry Katona (or is it still Mcfadden?) they haven't done anything note worthy (being famous doesn't count in my opinion).

Don't get me started on Stephen King.  I read his autobiography and Misery.  The guy is so smug, and he think's he is such a great writer, in my opinion Richard Laymon was a better horror writer, but got caught in King's shadow.
  • I find celeb biographies for the most part a market I am completely disinterested in. I'm not interested in celebrity for its own sake.

If, however, a particular person has led an interesting life, I'm more than happy to read about it, irrespective of their celebrity status. David Attenborough's "Life on Air" was absolutely amazing, for instance.

I suppose what's currently bugging me about biographies (celebrity or no) is the serious bandwaggoning that's going on in the "I was abused as a child" sub-genre. Just how many books about the torture of small children from kind-hearted forgiving survivors do we really need? I want to read about someone who's full of vitriol and goes on murderous rampages because of it! ;)
  • I certainly agree about Stephen King.  If he says he's a good writer then perhaps he's had so many people tell him so that he believes it.  I believe I'm a decent writer but that doesn't make me smug, it's just that people have told me so and I've learnt to accept that it's the case without being modest about it.

One of the most interesting autobiogs I've read (no doubt ghostwritten) was 'Sarah, My Story' by the Duchess of York.  She's had some bad press over the years, and it's wholly undeserved.  I found I couldn't put the book down, and it was only with some effort that I stopped reading and went to bed.  She isn't just famous for being famous, even though she's well-known because of who she married.  She's led an amazing life and no one can blame her for wanting to document it.
  • To be fair, in "On Writing", King states quite firmly that he believes he is a "good" writer, but not a "great" one, and certainly not an exceptional one. He quantifies a good writer as someone who can keep producing saleable work and make a living out of it.

So when he says he's a good writer, it's not arrogance when you take it in the context it's intended, because evidence supports his meaning - he does make a living at it, and he does keep producing work which people buy. I personally am not a fan, and don't find his work to my taste, but I wouldn't say he's an arrogant man.
  • Unless there's tremendous hype, publishers wouldn't make a profit out of the autobiographies/biographies of non-celebrities.

The books about celebrities that sell best are probably those with plenty of scandal included.

That's why Kitty Kelly's books sold so well!
  • Unless there's tremendous hype, publishers wouldn't make a profit out of the autobiographies/biographies of non-celebrities.

The books about celebrities that sell best are probably those with plenty of scandal included.
    That's why Kitty Kelly's books sold so well!
  • Who's Kitty Kelly?

(I rest my case.)
  • KK wrote unauthorised biographies of various celebrities, including Frank Sinatra, Elizabeth Taylor and Nancy Reagan. Dished the dirt on every one of them!

She also wrote the biography of Prince Philip, but if you put that title into a google search, you'll see it isn't allowed to be sold in the UK.

Someone has written KK's unauthorised biography and it's apparently equally scandalous!
  • Hmmmm, I think I might write the biography of the unauthorised biographer of Kitty Kelly.
  • Just checked - it's actually Kitty Kelley and she's referred to as a biogratrix. What a peculiar word. Her biographer was George Carpozi Jr. and her mother was allegedly an alcoholic.

Is that enough to get you started, Howard?!!
  • As one who has interviewed and written about celebs, can I suggest the other side of the debate?  Its the public demand, sadly, that keep these books going. You only have to look at any magazine or newspaper. As for many of the celebs, writers approach THEM and not the other way round. Sometimes whole books have been written from past newspaper cuttings etc. without their knowledge, let alone their consent.
  • Years ago I had a chat with Lord Snowdon. Well, he asked me a question about a photographic display and I answered him.

By today's standards that surely qualifies me for a six-figure book deal - and I probably wouldn't even have to write anything myself!
  • That's interesting Sal, I've never considered it from that viewpoint. I wonder how many celebrities get approached and turn it down? Probably the ones who have the bios made up of cuttings and gossip.
  • Trouble is Carol, many celebs are genuinely flattered to be asked for their memoirs, then they discover that some writers are not up to the mark, so to speak.  Or else, they have found themselves exploited. Likewise, as you might guess, you also get the wanna celebs who think they are IT.  I've found that approaching some of them is like asking for a date with a king.
  • So what would you say makes a celebrity interesting enough for you to want to interview them and find out more?
    Perhaps the bios that work best are a combination of an interesting person generally, and a good writer who knows what to put in, and what to leave out.
  • In my case, it was after writing travel articles, my editor suggested a change. Celebs had not been done then on the scale and friviolity of today.  My 'line' was history of music so at first I interviewed the music historians which lead to personal contacts and contact confidentiality, of course.