Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What is a best-seller?

salsal
edited June 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Last week I glanced in the window of my local Waterstone's book shop. Seven books out of the twelve on display were called 'best-sellers' but why?
  • Probably because the publishers had paid a six figure sum to be there
  • They also probably had a publicity budget to go toward those deals.
  • It's a gimmick by the publishers as how often have I seen a new book released as 'the new best seller by' before sales even happened!!  This practice shouldn't be allowed unless books sells the amount required to be classified as a best seller but what is that figure?  Any ideas anyone?
  • To be fair a book can be classified as a bestseller simply by selling bulk copy to the reseller.

For instance if Waterstones buy 1,000 copies of a book to pop on shelves across the country because it's not being pushed by a marketing-strong publisher, is small press, or is simply dipping a toe into the water to see if it sells, it won't go out as bestseller.

If however they agree to take in 100,000 copies to stash countrywide, it technically is a bestseller, because they've bought thousands of it ;) There's also more likely to be a marketing engine outside of their control pushing it forward somehow, whether that's simply the name of a celebrity attached to it, or it being the newest in a heretofore bestselling series.

Also bear in mind that the UK imprint may just have been released, but the book may have been a bestseller in other markets, or in another format (hardback or tradepaperback, for instance). Thus it's perfectly okay to announce the new Jim Butcher Harry Dresden book as a bestseller before a single UK copy has even hit the shelves, because they've already sold thousands in the US before we even get to see it.
  • It could also depend on the genre and what source you use. The Dandelion Clock is No.1 on Amazon UK's gay romance listing, so in that sense it's a bestseller. But I've a long way to go before JK Rowling need look to her laurels.
  • Thanks for all of your replies.It was interesting to hear of the different sides of the writing game.  Though, I guess the same thing happens in the pop music charts.
  • Interestingly sales figures for CDs are often very similar to books, but you don't see writers releasing a short story from a larger book and having weekly readings on the radio or TV, so we get paid less than popstars ;)

(It's not scientifically proven, but it is FACT! ;) )