Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Best sellers or not?

edited June 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Did anyone see the article in the Times on the 30th May by Libby Purves. I'm not sure if the following link will work but I typed in 'libby purves times article bestsellers' into Google and got through to the right page.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,6-2202068,00.html

Its very interesting. Not a new disclosure but she suggests that publicity departments in publishing houses be given more money and they should print fewer books more selectively. I don't agree. I think the publicity departments should get far less money to promote books and instead publish more books by unknowns. They are always complaining that it is the cost of marketing the book for unknowns that makes them reluctant to take them on so why don't they just issue lists of the new books published that week and let them sell themselves. Maybe then we'd see which books really did sell the most.
    It's occured to me that if you could afford to print enough copies of your own bok and could persuade say Asda to sell it alongside the James Pattersons and Dan Browns then you could probably make yourself a best selling author.
    Take it one further and persuade the BBC to make a program called 'create a best seller.' to follow what you did. I see ££££ beckoning.
  • I've just read the article and whilst I am sure it is based on a lot of fact, I can't help feeling that it is skewed to the view of the writer!  I do buy books that are in the chart, but usually they've been written by one of my favourite authors or have been recommended by a friend who has read it.  If I'm in doubt, there's always the reviews on Amazon that sometimes seem brutally honest.  With this in mind, the question I ask is: what profession does not operate as a trade?

I have to admit that I would watch a programme called 'create a best seller'.  Imagine the publicity for your book, if the process came across as professional rather than sordid! Go for it, Flick.
  • We just do what we want and sell where we think we can sell, no agent or publishing house and we're doing very well, and now we're even printing and binding our books ourselves too :O)

We have, based on our own actual sales, a bestsellers list.... and we're number one! and another self publisher is number two!! the 'proper' publishers sales are lower down in our chart, we may not be big well known authors/business etc, but it's all true and more importantly its helping get self publishers out there :O) :O)

Regarding persuading shops to take your books on etc, we do that also, but we're going one better and opening our own shop, then we can sell all our titles without having to ask anyone to stock them and I expect we'll then get publishing houses pitching us to stock their books, maybe I'll send them rejection letters ;O) lol

We have already started to try to buck the trend for self publishers so they can get space in shops or sell books etc, and it feels nice to help them.

Gary and Carol
  • Let me tell you what the crime writer John Harvey told our writers group earlier this year about publicity and sales. He has had reasonable success with his books over the last fifteen years, but they have not been actively publicised by the publisher; his new series of books has had a publicity budget- not large, but some money nevertheless, and as a consequence his sales have rocketed.
    So, who gets publicised and by how much is up to some unseen figure at the publishers; and we the readers either buy or don't buy. What reasoning they use to decide who they give publicity budgets to probably depends on the individual publishers strategy.
    I take the view that when publishers get desperate enough to pay for advertising on TV-as they have with the latest James Patterson-, or in popular magazines, then the book must be bad and the publisher is desperate to get a return on the excess copies they've printed.
  • Do you think book signing events boost sales generally? I have never been to one (How I wish I was there to sign copies of mine!!!!!) but they seem to be very popular in America.
    On a different note - how do writers like James Patterson and Patricia Cornwall get away with producing substandard stuff? With new writers like Karen Slaughter and PJ Tracey (relatively new anyway) you'd think their publishers would make them pull their socks up. Interestingly I still feel compelled to read Patricia Cornwall even though she's gone downhill but I can't be bothered with Patterson anymore. If I see a new Karen Slaughter I would buy it without even reading what it was about. Although I fell foul of that when I bought a Kathy Reichs and found it was about religious artefacts.I absolutely hate that. So no, I didn't like the Davinci Code or Kate Moss's very long maze thing.
  • I've just been to my very first book signing - actually it was a talk by the author too, which was more the attraction.  It was by Harlan Coben and I really enjoyed it.  I think it's probably good publicity for both the shop and the author.  I know it was sold out, and many were clutching bags with the shops name on it, so I think they did pretty well out of it too.
  • I love his books. What did he look like? Was he funny in real life too?
  • Me too!  Do you have his latest 'Promise Me'?  I'm halfway through that, and am having to ration myself - I already ended up with a really late night last night because I got carried away reading it in the bath!
    Anyway, he looks pretty much like the photo on the back - but a 6'4" version.  And yes, he is funny in real life too. The talk was great fun and really interesting, but where it could be a bit dry, he made it really entertaining.  It was a 2 hour drive for us to go so I'm really pleased it was worth it. 
    Glad to meet another fan!
  • Not read Promise me yet but I bought Backspin from a local bookshop for £2.50. The only one of his old ones I hadn't read. The bookshop was brill. It had ALL of his books and Nelson Demille's and loads of others that I like. Just a tiny shop but better than the big ones who don't carry the full range. Two new paperbacks for £5 can't be bad. I found Harlan's pic on the internet. Didn't know he was that tall though. LIke Jack Reacher. Do you like Lee Child too?
    What I like about Harlen Coben is the humour in his writing. It's inspired me to be funny in mine! Try to be anyway.
  • I don't think I ever want to see my book somewhere like Asda.  They discounts they get are not worth the effort.  It is bad enough getting a 50p royalty on a book that has been bought for £12, never mind recieving pennies from these supermarket chains.
  • I'm not a big fan of supermarkets, anyway.
  • I would love to see our books in the supermarkets as a sales a sale and could lead to more :o)

It might be worth a try and see if they would stock them, never thought of them before.

Gary.
  • If - when -if (just hedging my bets) I get my book published I don't care where it's sold - Asda, Waterstones, the local Post Office, the local prison. Why does it matter that a book is sold in a supermarket? Any outlet for books should be encouraged. Asda and Tesco sell newly released paperbacks more cheaply that Amazon. Sometimes WHSmith and Waterstones have a deal that makes them as cheap on a small selection. I don't have money to throw away buying from places that are more expensive just because they look pukka.
  • When supermarkets buy books from publishers, they demand (note DEMAND) a 65% discount.  No prizes for guessing who loses out.

That goes for everyone else who supplies to big supermarket chains - small businesses go bankrupt, and the consumer gets even less choice - processed food, wrapped in plastic, full of additives...  Need I continue?
  • My comments have nothing to do with food, only with books. It is a matter of choice,  wealth and conviction as to whether you shop at a supermarket or elsewhere.  Supermarkets put books in front of people who would not normally buy them. Around 80% of bookshop sales are back lists and supermarkets generally don't stock those so its mainly the megarich writers who are getting their books in Asda and co anyway. If I saw my book in a supermarket I would be delirious with delight. If I was in this to make money I'd have given up long ago. It goes back to my point in the first post. Scrap publicity budgets. Let books sell themselves. Publish more. Have a greater selection to choose from.
  • Here here flick ;O)

Totally with Tessa on the supermarkets killing off smaller companies, but you'd be surprised how the local shops are making a comback as they can also now buy their products cheaper and compete effectively, you would think that our plans to open up our first (of many) bookshops would be impossible......... but it isnt, having the big boys selling their books cheaper is not that bigger problem, they still have to turn a profit to cover the running costs of their supermarkets(its a myth that business under sell to stay competitive) we can still undercut them if need be, the main thing is for us to create a whole new business based around our books mainly, I have already got agreements for latest titles that only cost us from 1p to 50p a copy (even for best sellers!).....cant wait.

We have only used the profits from our book to do this, so its not a case of having lots of money ;O) just treat our work and tatent as a business.

Where theres a will theres away :o)

Gary.
  • Hello Gary,

When you and Carol are using up all your creative energy in running a business, will you turn to other authors to supply you with fresh novels?
    Regards, Patty
  • Gary - maybe I misread your posting on Friday, but do you actually print, bind, provide ISBNs and market other writers' books?  If so, then you are a publisher in practice.
    So when will you start trawling for something different, preferably by email?
    Regards, Patty
  • Patty

All the above we do ourselves for our own books only. We do try to help other self publishers by posting their books on our website free :O)
  • Gary,
    Thanks for the reply... you must write a lot of books between you.  I admire your stamina.
    Patty
  • Thanks Patty

The stamina bit ummmmmmmm Carol seems to always wine about it, but somehow I think its in a different context! ;O)

We just like to get on with it, we still look for potential agents and publishers, but not many as we seem to be doing ok :o) and get orders on a daily basis now, so all the work and embarrassing arkward moments in bookshops and bookfairs are starting to pay off :O)

Thanks for the kind words :O) if you have a book then I be happy to mention it on our independent authors bit on our website, it might help, you never know :O) or if your good at writing articles about self publishing or publishing in general then I'd love to have that as I'm putting together a magazine thats free for my customers and members about what we're up to and general publishing stuff, reviews etc :O) but whatever it nice to have someone wish us well :o) so thanks :o)

Gary.