Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Addictions...

edited April 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Books & Coffee - what a wonderful combination.
    I have a fearsome addiction to both, and to have them in one place is a joy.
    Yes, my addiction is spending time in bookshops that have coffee shops. Borders is my favourite  (I know we're supposed to despise big chains, but i can't help loving them).
    I have become an expert on the layout of the stores now, and waste little time seeking out my favourite books, and the coffee, well, the choice is endless, cappucino, americano, latte, macchiato... the trouble is I get a bit charged up on caffiene and can get a bit excitable if I find a really good book - you do get some funny looks if you start quoting raunchy poems loudly!
    I did read an interview with Frank McCourt the other day, who also declared coffee and books to be his absolute favourite things - I'm in good company then...
    Any other addicts out there?
    Lizzie
  • Did you mention coffee? Quick pour me a cup, I'm shaking because I've not had a cup for a couple of hours. Books, yes I love books too. And of-course I'm a Talkback addict.
  • Yes, I also love Borders and Starbucks. I am fortunate that they opened one within a mile from my home and I love browsing (just got back actually!). There is a delightful little coffee shop/art gallery in York where I love to relax too - called Artfulness if any of you live nearby, a very calm and inspiring place to spend time.
  • Dorothy - Forgive me for being curious, but which island do you live on? My imagination is working overtime!
  • My beloved Isle of Wight, isn't it???

My personal addictions are similar to the ones already listed - books, coffee, jasmine tea, CDs, crystals, Lush (handmade cosmetics, excellent ethics, best I've ever found) - I find myself helpless where any one of them is concerned, which does my wallet no good whatsoever.
  • Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate.  Talkback is becoming a really bad thing for me.  Seriously.  I'm putting far too much time and effort into trying to think up witty replies to the consequence games, leaving me with little energy to do some proper writing.  (Sorry, I don't mean Talkback isn't proper, but you know what I mean... Don't you?!)
  • oooo addicted to reading, MSN, chocolate (which i have just given up AARGH!!), tea, spending money (i.e. shopping) and a weird one now, i think i may be getting a little addicted to piercings. ive got 2 sets of holes in each lobe, just had the top of my ear done and have made plans for my next 3!! all on my ears i hasten to add, not a fan of body piercings.

with tea, dont bother waking me up if you havent come armed with a peace present of a nice hot cup of tea!! it just simply isnt worth it!
  • Oooh, piercings :o)  I'm not addicted, but I do have 4 in my ears (three in lobes and one at the top), one in my bottom lip, and a bar in my belly button - my tongue is next, and then I think that'll be it...  *she says*
  • Definately books. We put a large amount of bookcases in the living room and they were almost full then; I've since added some more.
    Coffee I can only have two mugs a day now, otherwise the caffeine upsets my blood pressure and I get heart palpitations. I was badly addicted to coffee two years ago, seven mugs a day, and that gave me the problem.
    And Talkback of course, my daily dose of sanity/insanity.
  • I absolutely adore Borders.  Nobody can get me out of the store whenever I am at it.
    Drinking wise though I am not a coffee drinker, I love cups of tea!!!
    Alana
  • I love Borders too but there isn't one near where I live. I once got stuck on the M1 and got so fed up that I made a detour to Borders near St Albans - spent hours there, and then drove all the way back to Kent because I was too late for my appoinment anyway!!They even had US writing magazines that I haven't seen anywhere else. Love coffee and chocolate too - and red wine, but that's not an addiction yet
  • Books (of course) and hot chocolate. The Borders nearest me used to have a cafe, but it got closed down, thankfully the shop itself hasn't. I must try the Borders Cafe in Melbourne on a weekend.
  • Books, books, Talkback and more books.
  • Shall we all take a ticket to Ryde then?
  • Someone had to say it, didn't they? *groan*
  • All wight, Stan, isle second that.
  • Good on yer, Howard, me ole china!
  • Diet Coke is my addiction.  I have never drank tea and coffee and when I gave up smoking five years ago I started to drink diet coke.  I am still off the cigs but addicted to diet coke...oops.
  • Disgusting stuff!
    Chocolate is my downfall - especially Green and Black's dark chocolate.
    I can get through quite a lot of biscuits when I'm writing well - though if I'm really writing well, then I forget to eat at all!
  • Oooh Evaine, I'm with you on the Green and Black dark chocolate. I buy five of the small individual bars on a Friday, and keep a few in my handbag for when I need a quick top up.
  • I love the Isle of Wight. I could be addicted to Blackgang Chine. Is any of it left?
  • I went to Blackgane Chine when I was about 10 - a school journey and my first time away from home.
  • It was one of the places we visited during our honeymoon, and I really liked it. I'd like to visit again sometime. Hopefully there will still be enough left.
  • Japanese animated movies and series like Miyazaki's 'Princess Mononoke', 'Howl's Moving Castle' and 'Spirited Away'.  There's one series called 'Noir', based on two female assassins and where the action takes place all across the world, from America to Paris to Moscow to Japan:  it is often said that if Luc Besson ever did a Manga series, this is the one he would have done.  Also addicted to clothes from Kew, Monsoon, Planet, Coast, Animal. Also shoes from Schuh, Dune, Ravel.  And Radley bags.  And Benefit makeup.  And Clinique and Clarins products ... of course, now have had to cut back on all the above except for the Japanese series, as now working and earning less ... having read this, I can sort of see why my male friends tell me I'm high maintenance ...
  • MDD is also addicted to PDP.
  • Now,now Stan, behave!  And it was only one PDP! 
  • OK, I'm sorry. Just teasing.
  • It's alright.  Here's a hug ... now, I hear Marks & Spencer are having sales on PDPs this summer ...
  • So MDD rushes off as quick as her legs can carry her.
  • Yes coffee and more coffee but writing rather than reading books.  Can't bring myself to sit down long enough to read, but I can write anywhere.
  • im currently addicted to the lostprophets new song! i canNOT wait for the new album to come out. i preordered it yesterday along with spiderman2 soundtrack (bargain of £1.96) which also has a song im addicted to on (yellowcard- gifts and curses) and the new david and leigh eddings paperback as i refuse to buy books in hardback- may make an exception to nonfiction though.