Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A Kick In The Pants

edited May 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• So I went along to the local writer's circle last week and it was all very nice. A large group with an impressive output but little ole me felt a bit overwhelmed. I'm not the "clubby" type - however I kept my ears and eyes open, desperate to find some inspiration. My truly wonderful boyfriend who doesn't read, never mind write had come along as moral support. During the tea break, he comes back from the kitchen with a cup of coffee and a small man in tow. Bristling with hearing aids and a broad Scots accent, it turns out that the small man is a retired engineer from the Merchant Navy who is not only keen to meet me but also - and this is the good bit - runs his own writer's circle come class on alternate weeks. Yes!! I went to his meeting today and it was brill. Boyfriend came along too so all in all I am one very lucky woman. Now I have to come up with a story that includes a sports car, a naughty office boy and some arsenic.
  • Glad you found a group to suit you Narnie, and it has obviously been beneficial. Long may it continue.
  • Goodluck with the new writing group!
  • Well done Narnie - keep on writing.
  • How excellent! Doesn't it seem things are picking when you meet the right person/people/group etc.
    By the way, the title of your post 'A kick in the pants' is exactly what I need, so thank you, I'm off to do some writing this very instant!
  • Sounds great :O)

Gary and Carol.
  • Cheers gang, I'll let you know how I get on with the story. So far I have an unfaithful husband with a Truimph Stag, an office boy who snitches and a dog/cat called Arsenic.
  • Narnie - I hope that man doesn't read Talkback - although he might not recognise the description of himself. Apparently not many people do!
  • No Jenny I don't think I'd recognise him either.
  • Dora - Not many people recognise descriptions of themselves. Is that better?!!
  • Great story Narnie. I was beginning to despair of the writing group I joined last October. All we seemed to do was sit around and listen to each other read. Whilst I see this as an important part of the group to get feedback on our work I thought it was too much with nothing else.

Thankfully, last week our leader used an exercise sent in a whole pack of stuff from the National Association of Writers Groups. We thoroughly enjoyed it and we're going to include one each time. I think it's important to be stretched in this way as well as having write to a piece and have it critiqued.
  • So really it is down to the individual to scrape a niche and find the support we need. It's not easy is it? Still as long as I keep writing and get some idea of what to do with the stuff I've produced, maybe I'll be happy! Anyway back to my vengeful office junior.
  • I would also like to add that I saw the Daily Telegraph's Novel In A Year site and one of the questions posed was "Why do I want to write a novel?" I tried asking myself why do I want to write? And the answer was:I can't stop writing! It is just something I do, like breathing - although admittedly not as vital - and I rather suspect that it's the same for all Talkbackers. If the drive is that strong in each of us then no doubt we will find a way to bend the more lackadaisical writer's circles to our will. Come on Talkbackers - world domination is in our grasp.