Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Writer as 'Self'

Comments

• I attended this local course partly because of the intriguing title and also I knew the tutor was good. She didn't disappoint.

We started off by discussing our names and nicknames and I was amazed to hear the wealth of material that came out here. Then we moved on to drawing shapes, then giving them a two word description and saying which two shapes we liked the most. Then we chose a shape and imagined what it would be like to be that shape and to write a paragraph or two about it. Again I was amazed by the stuff that appeared and all different.

Lastly, we looked at our 'Jekyll and Hyde' character and we were let loose on a pile of magazines, crayons, felt tips etc., glue and scissors. We had to create a pictorial representation of this duality and write what their names would be, their health, hobbies etc. Then we had to write a few paras on these characters meeting and before they left each other, exchanging something of value. I wrote reams and reams and came up with a love story. Others were surprised at how stimulating it had all been. Everyone was raring to go home and get writing. I thought I'd share it to get you all thinking and creating!
  • Sounds like you had fun as well as stimulation to write.
  • Thanks for sharing this. Was it a one day course?I wish there was something like this near where I live in Kent. I haven't been on any writing courses but would love to try something like this. It doesn't sound too intimidating for beginner. I'm not at a stage where I would feel confident reading my work to others. I'm going to try the exercises you have mentioned. Anyone got any more tips for finding inspiration?
  • Wow, what a wonderful time you had! In Holland they don't have that many writing courses. And if they do, it's usually miles from where I live. I do remember that in our school we once got the assignment: create an Englishman. We had to invent a person. Describe what he looked like, draw his house, a map of the village he lived, his hobbies, his dreams, etc. It amazed me how easy you can create a character and it was so much fun to do. Nowadays whenever I have to develop a character for a story I do it the same way as back then. It really helps.
    I also have a notebook in which I keep pictures from magazines. (houses, people, rooms, even cars, etc.) So that whenever I need to describe something I look up a picture that is interesting and can start from there.
    Being creative with characters is so much fun!
  • It very interesting way of creativity.

I think having a mentor, human or mental is always the best way to motivate anyone to do anything :O)

Gary.
  • Perhaps it's me, the initial bit and the duality thing I can see and could do, and it was clearly worthwhile for you. BUT the shape bit, no that I can't see, or imagine. Obviously I'm lacking something.
  • Hi All,

So sorry not to have replied earlier but I have been having trouble with my computer. The 'My Documents' folder seems to have gone crazy and is turning all my Word documents into Notepad format! Also, every time I want to make a new folder, it says it has to shut down. My partner has been working on it. We have been trying the site www.xpannoyances.com for some insight.

I'm glad you all thought the exercises worthwhile and have even had a go at them. Carol, we all chose two of the shapes which meant the most to us and then we were given some psychological insight into why we chose them. Unfortunately, I didn't get a copy of these explanations so I can't share them with you. I found it very interesting in that one of my shapes was a circle and I was told circles make good counsellors. Which is something I did in the NHS and still do to a lesser extent now.

Thanks again for all the comments.
  • Thanks for that explanation, I understand now.