Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Listen to radio for fresh ideas

edited March 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• This morning I heard a couple of rather haunting stories on Home Truths and this is not the first time. Used the two together for a possible short story idea which I jotted down. This will be transferred and put into my folder eventually. It is amazing what one can pick up. Do a what if and well, you have a possible supernatural crime idea perhaps or even a comedy situation.  Just keep your ears peeled.  Regards Woll52
  • Thanks for the tip Woll52. I've recently bought a digital radio, so now I can set a timer to record programmes. I've discovered some good comedy shows on BBC 7 too. I'll give your idea a try!
  • Home Truths is repeated on Monday evenings at 11.00 pm, when I usually hear it. It has some funny and perculier moments, but there is so much human life there. I think anything that works as a source of ideas is great.
  • Thanks for that Woll52, I'll try it and see what I come up with.
  • I've never listened to Home Truths but I've been told the stories are fascinating. Likewise, Paul Auster edited a book called True Tales of American Life. The stories were originally told on a radio programme (There you are Woll!) I used the opening story as a stimulus for my son's GCSE English coursework and it worked a treat!
  • Looking at a daily newspaper's also a good source. The little reports used as fillers. The only trouble is that they're usually too fantastic for anyone to believe as fiction.
  • I'm a Radio 4 addict and here's a friendly word of warning to get listening to Home Truths soon because they're taking it off later in the year. There's been a lot of controversy about the decision but I think the death of John Peel might have had something to do with it. David Stafford - and the other guest presenters for that matter - do a good job but I suppose John Peel was a hard act to follow.
  • I'm a Home Truths fan too - it's amazing the stuff people phone in with.  Always interesting, always quirky and as already stated - super story starters.  Do we need to start a keep Home Truths campaign?
  • There is no harm in starting one, I feel. If you write, state how many of us listen to it and do a collection of signatures in the area, that might make the person who thought of scrapping it, have another rethink,you never know. Sometimes people power works - give it a try at any rate.
  • I have never listened to Home Truths, but will do so now. I only usually listen to the radio when I am driving, so maybe I shall have to put it on at home as well. Not always easy though in a busy household where there are other distractions, but I will try!
  • Hi Lucy, I invested in a digital radio with a record facility for the same reason. Now I play back the programmes I want to hear when I'm getting myself ready in the morning, and it's convenient to listen. I'm writing sketches at the moment, and so I've saved some recordings of sketch shows to my pc to analyse later.  Maybe a digital radio would suit you too?
  • Thanks for that Jacey, I might have to invest in a digital radio. Must admit this new technology has overtaken me so I will have to bring myself up to date!!
  • As an alternative, you can listen to digital radio on tv if you have a freeview box. I really enjoy BBC7, as they serialise books-old ones. Have a sci-fi slot etc, and comedy programmes.
  • I've sent a message to:www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hometruths asking to whom a protest about the threatened removal of the programme can be sent. If I get a response, I'll let you know.
  • Good for you Kathy!

Lucy, if you do look into a digital radio, they don't all allow you to record whole programmes.  Some only record for a few minutes, which lets you "pause" live radio.  I have "the bug" (!) which records onto an SD card.  The SD card will record up to 5 hours.  You'll soon come across the bug, as there aren't that many digital radios on the market.  It looks a bit like an alien...!
  • Yes Kathy,

Well done for taking such initiative. It is wonderful to see your name appearing so often.

Welcome back to Life, I hope you are finding time to write/compose etc.
  • As soon as you get a reply Kathy, let us know so we  to can voice our opinions. Glad you have settled in here, and will look out for more of your postings; when you aren't writing, that is.
  • Thank you. I got an "automatic" reply from Home Truths assuring me that the production team read all emails and would get back to me. If I've heard nothing by Monday - I'll try again.
    I'm enjoying reading all the new members' information and postings and remember how kind you all were to me when I was a "newbie". At the moment I am writing a kind of dairy of events of the awful time of Karen's illness. It will be for my granddaughter, Tahlia, if she ever wants to read it when I'm no longer around. Nothing macabre - but Tahlia is an inquisitive child and always asking questions!
  • That is a very good idea Kathy, as well as being good for you to do. It is something many family historians would think a goldmine. It will be there when it's needed, and some things will have faded from your memory by then, so it's good it is being written now. I hope you are doing okay now.
  • Good, Kathy to consider your granddaughter but don't discount the potential of a greater audience.

Encapsulate your sensitivity in the words and thoughts. The experiences may well help others (lacking Talkback camaraderie) cope in what seems to be an all too familiar nightmare.
  • Whoops! A "dairy" of events - must be the mad cow in me coming out! Bless you Carol and Jan for your kind words. When there's something worth reading, I'll certainly post a paragraph or two for some feed-back.
  • Well done Kathy, it would be wonderful if there is a reprieve or an indefinite stay of execution against taking off the programme. To think that us lot from Writer's News could be responsible for the turnaround, that would be wonderful indeed, who knows it might get a brief mention in the programme by the chap who produces it saying that it is amazing what people power can do for members of Writer's news have launched a campaign and .....the programme is continuing by popular appeal -wowee. That would be a reall achievement for us, collectively speaking.  Woll52
  • I'm sorry to report a complete silence from Home Truths! No response - nothing. Think I'll try 'phoning them.
  • I've sent queries to the BBC on various occasions, and have never managed to get more than the automated responses.  Hope you have better luck Kathy.
  • I would try and get to the top, so far so good for I heard that the programme was coming off in April and this is now the beginning of May so fingers crossed, they might have taken note of the protests but still keep persevering. As I said, it would be wonderful if the 'people power of Writer's News had swayed those to reconsider.