Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

David Baldacci was correct in Jan 2006 issue!

edited April 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• New Zealand has only recently received the January 2006 issue of Writing Magazine.
    Before reading this month's magazine I had followed other writers orders in the past to aim to write at least ? many words per day.  In Jan 2006 magazine David Baldacci mentions that writers who count words seem to him to be writers who really hate writing.  His aim per day is to sit down and write a particular scene.
    I took his advice and am finding that I am having better success in getting jobs done.  I wrote an ending for a chapter today and was going to leave it as I had written over 1,000 words but the idea of an opening for the next chapter was on my mind.  So I took his advice and made sure I wrote it.  I am very pleased that I did so, as tomorrow may be different, I would have forgotten what that opening scene for that next chapter would have been!
    Like they say though, everyone is different and I have to discover on how I prefer to write.  I still aim to write at least 250 words per day but will write more or less if I have to, as long as I am happy with my work.
    Alana
  • I agree Alana, each to their own way of working. You have obviously found that this suggestion works for you, so stay with it. 
  • Have to agree with this. Last week I sat up well into the night writing my novel, when I keyed it into the computer (I usually write the first draft by hand as I find it more creative for some reason), I was amazed that I had actually written over 4,000 words!