Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

More great news...

edited February 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I've had another haiku accepted!
    This is the lucky one;

red ball bounces
    crack
    on willow
  • Well done kangaroo.  You must be really chuffed!
  • Great news Kangaroo.  I'm interested to know if you have any rules for Haiku in Australia.  Do you not have to stick with the 5-7-5 syllables format?
  • I have to say I'm not exactly au fait when it comes to poetry - and as for haikus positively illiterate. What are the rules, and what's the point of them? With all respect to the writer of the one quoted above, I'm sure it's wonderful if you're into this sort of thing. To me it's an embarrassing little snippet. Convert me someone!
  • Well done Kangaroo - you're on a roll!
  • It's a bit of a fluke that I've written haiku, I don't understand it totally. Usually it's five syllables in the first line, seven in in the second, and back to five again in the third. It's not so strict in Oz. Most of them are about nature, trying to capture a moment. I've been learning it by osmosis, reading other people's haiku, soaking it up. 
  • I don't really know the rules. I think most people stick with the 5-7-5, as far as I know.
  • Thanks for trying to explain that Kangaroo. Am still a wee bit in the dark. Perhaps because I am too much of a prose person to understand. But do they pay you for these things? Where do you send them? Who actually publishes them? You see I really am quite dim!! Glad yours has been accepted somewhere anyway. Carry on haiku-ing!!
  • Unfortunately poetry is the one profession where you don't tend to receive payment unless you are very well known and have your collections published.  For mere mortals,usually the payment is a copy of the magazine that your poem appears in. There is a magazine devoted totally to Haiku, it's called Time Haiku. Some of the members of our Writers group have had work published in it.
  • Well done, kanganroo - you must be hopping with excitement!
  • I nearly jumped all over the place when I found out.
    There are a few places that accept haiku. You just have to know where to look. Sometimes luck. In my case, I know the editor of the magazine that's publishing it. I really enjoy writing haiku, it makes you think about every word. And when it works, its great, even greater when its published.
  • Here's the website of the magazine that's publishing my haiku. www.pageseventeen.com.au If anyone is interested, they have guidelines and the submission dates are from March to June and then from September to December. They welcome o/s writers, although the issue will feature mainly Australian writers.
  • Hi Kanga - put the words Haiku Society into a search engine (I used Google) and it will take you to the British, American, and Australian Haiku Societies.  Haiku originated in Japan way back in the mists of time.  The grand master was a chap called Basho.  The ethos of Haiku is to capture a moment in time - to describe a split second in nature.
  • Hi Kangaroo, there has been a haiku competition in the Writers News once and I had a go just for fun. Anyway, congratulations! The 5-7-5 rule doesn't seem to apply to your entry, am I missing something? 
  • No, you're not missing something. It's not as strict over here. You still have try and capture a moment in nature (or whatever the case maybe) I had a look on a haiku website last night. One of the writers had a translation of his haiku into Japanese. I've heard that a haiku translated from Japanese into English, the words aren't always the same, it somehow loses it 'thing'
  • hi Kangaroo, thanks for explaining. I agree that any writing, poetry or prose, loses its original 'something' when translating even if the translation is as close to the original as possible. I guess the only answer is to learn the language of the author....