Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Satisfaction - and some regret

edited February 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi all,

Yesterday was a momentous day.  One of those days that you don't quite expect.

I went to the library to get some work done on my proof-reading course, and took my manuscript folder with me (which contains the handwritten sheets that have yet to be photocopied as back-up).

After having done some of the coursework, I set to write, which is unusual for me, as I normally write in bed with music on in the background (rock or folk or both usually does it for me), and ordinarily, in the evening. 

Anyway, knowing the first draft was near completion did nothing to blanket my surprise when the end sneaked up on me just like that.  I'd known I was going to write an epilogue in the first person (the rest of it's in third), which I did, and I think it's worked rather well.  My character has said all she has to say.

I'm going to miss her, though I know it isn't goodbye forever and farewell, as it'll need polishing and editing, and she will always be there with me to proffer advice when I need it.  She's not the sort of character to just go away when the book's finished.

I have ideas ready for my next one while I work on the previous two, so my grey matter won't go hungry.

And in the meantime, tons of other stuff to get stuck into...
  • Phew! I thought you were going to say that you'd lost your manuscript.
    Any idea who you'll submit the final version to?
  • That's what I thought too, congrats on finishing. What's next?
  • You lot are sooo negative!  Of course she wouldn't lose it - that's something I would do!  Glad you got it finished, let us know what happens.
  • LOL Lixxy!

Thanks, guys, at the moment, I'm typing the previous ms, then I'll type up the one I've just finished.

I have some ideas for the next one, though I'm not ready to start it yet - I think I'll give myself a break.  It'll be completely different, though, as the last two have been set in the music industry, and I think I need a breath of fresh air.  Though, having said that, I've no doubt I'll write something else musicky (hey, a new word!) before long, as music is in my blood, and many of my friends are musicians, so there's no getting away from it, even if I wanted to.  Plenty of material for plot-lines with my pals, believe me!

Not sure who I'll submit the mss to, yet, but I'm hoping to have them both as ready as possible for next year, so I can go to the Winchester conference (I've never been, even though it's not that far from me).

Hey-ho, I'll carry on doing press releases as per, and see where my notes take me as and when.
  • The Winchester conference is well worth a visit TT.  The one-to-one appointments are a fantastic opportunity, but you have to be quick off the mark to book them.  Good luck.
  • Sorry, I meant TP not TT!