Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Creative writing groups

edited October 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I was thinking of joining a creative writing group in my area as I am pretty new to writing.

Does anyone else belong to anything like this and do they find it helpful?

Thanks, Trishie
  • Hi Trishie, I'm thinking of doing the same myself (as a new writer). I'll try to let you know how my search goes. Good luck.
  • A well run group can be very helpful.  It is good to meet with other like-minded people.
  • Trishie- as a member of a large writers group I would suggest you try them out. You do meet other people who think along the same wavelengths as you, and you can get advice and encouragement. I would say have an open mind, as not all groups are going to be good or suit you. Decide what you want to get from joing a group then ring the local contact up for that group and ask them about the group, are there published writers among them? What do they do at their meetings? If you think it will suit you then go and visit, most groups welcome visitors. Hope this helps.
  • Good advice Carol.  I've seen many groups fail through lack of structure.  Writers' groups can turn into a cosy grannies' tea party rather than somewhere to learn, receive constructive criticism and glean information about the publishing world.  There is so much a new writer has to learn especially about how to go about submitting work, researching the market and writing to editors' requirements etc etc.  It is also important to ensure every member has a 'hearing' and is given feedback.
  • Thanks for the compliment Lixxy- don't forget the biscuits.  Seriously, the most popular writing classes I've known are when writers actually write as well as read during the class.  The action of 'Instant writing' seems to produce far more published work than having to 'sit and listen.'
  • Thanks for your advice everyone.
    I'm joining a writing group next Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it.
    I think meeting with other writers will make me take things more seriously and give me some inspiration.
  • Trishie will you get tea and biscuits at the writing group?
  • I was SO disappointed with the creative writing group I recently joined.  Not one of the 2 men and 11 women present had heard of Writers' Magazine or Writers' News!  No-one had any desire to see their work published - reading a piece aloud to an uncritical audience was their weekly goal.  And it got worse! Shortly after I gave my email address to 4 members who owned PCs I started receiving chain emails from them. Some listed jokes and others passed on Christian sourced short stories. All were sent cc and not blind cc with private email addresses from all over the world on view. I've already had some success with seeing articles in print (for money!) but I've decided I'll tackle the creative writing bit on my own in future.
  • I'm sorry you had such a negative experience Di.  It sounds as if the group you visited have no intention of getting 'real' - more a mutual back-patting ensemble.  Have a look at the post by Simon Whaley under the heading 'Got a writers' circle query'.  Click on 'all categories' to get to it.  I think he might help you find a group in your area.
  • Thanks for the advice, Betsie.  I took a peep at your profile and think writers in your neck of the woods are very lucky to have you as their tutor. I'll check out the info you've given me.
  • Well done Trishie - come back here and tell us how you got on.
  • Don't give up Di.  Not all writing groups are so negative and I do hope you'll try others.  My own writing group is full of activity. We read books, magazines Weekly, I plan homework and future outings, contact editors, writing mates to keep it lively.  There must be others around like this too.
  • Hi Stan,

Tea and biscuits? No....
    Hot chocolate and Wagon Wheels! I like to spoil people!
  • Hot chocolate and Wagon Wheels! I've drooled on the key board and put an inch on my waist just thinking about it.
  • Hot chocolate?  Wagon wheels?  Disgusting!  We aim to keep ourselves sylph-like for when we write our best seller and have a party.
  • Trishie - is it tonight you're going to the writing group?  Hope it's good - do let us know!
  • Yes, let us know Trishie.  I hope you've come back enthused.
  • Sorry guys, I didn't go. My friend dropped round all upset with herself, so I had to miss it :(

I will go next week and let you know.

I am going to see Little Britain on stage tonight though, so that's cheered me up! :D
  • Lucky you Trishie!  I checked the website a while back, but the show is not coming to my neck of the woods.  Please report back about this too! (In Vicky Pollard style?  No, perhaps not, might offend!)
  • Little Britain was great, I was crying with laughter all through it. They got audience members up on stage and completely humiliated them, but all in good fun.
    My favourite by far was Marjorie Doors, she was hilarious!
    If you ever get the opportunity to go, I would definately recommend it.
  • I would've loved to go and see Little Britain, but the only date still available near me clashes with a trip to America! I did go to see League of Gentlemen last week though, which was hilarious!
  • I have been thinking about joining a creative writing group for a while but being the way I am, I haven't done anything about it yet. I keep finding new excuses within myself but to be honest what I feel really daunting is the fact that I will have to stand in the middle of the room and read aloud in front of other and better writers my own work! This really scares me.
    So I thought perhaps I could join a book reading group instead..... but this means I will have to read selected books instead of what I want to read.... well, I guess it's another excuse...
  • Hi Summernight,
    Reading your work out to a group can be a bit scary at first, but remember that the other members of the group will probably be feeling just the same as you.
        I attend a creative writing course at a local college and when I first started I hated reading my work out to the rest of the class. I felt that, compared to some of theirs, my work was rubbish. It probably was but I kept attending and as the weeks went by, the reading became easier. I'm now into my second year and glad that I didn't give up.
        I would urge you to join the writing group, see how you get on and if it's really too scary you can always drop out. At least you will have tried. I'm sure that you won't drop out though and by hanging in there, you will find that your work will improve immensely. If you're at all like me you'll find, after a short while, that you enjoy inflicting your work on others and they'll have trouble shutting you up.
        So don't listen to anymore of your own excuses. Give it a try and let us know how you get on. I'm sure that we will all be wishing you the best of luck.

• summernight,  like you i would also be too terrified to stand up in front of people and read what i've written.  I've only just got used to reading my stories out loud to my husband and children. 

How do other people get over their fears and pluck up the courage too go along to one of these writing groups, i wonder?

Perhaps someone on this site would be good enough to help us?  :)
  • sylvia, you type alot quicker than me and beat me to the post, as they say.

Thanks for your comments which are very helpful.

Maybe in the future when i feel more comfortable within myself i will go to a writing group. At this moment in time though i am just too unsure of myself.  Does that make sense?
  • Take the bull by the horns Debbie (sorry about the cliche) everyone has butterflies the first time they read to a group - I can recall being hardly able to hold the paper still I was trembling so much.  Go along to a group, listen to the others - share your own work with the group when you feel able.  I find writing groups evolve and develop according to their membership.  In time everyone learns to feel comfortable.  Friends and family are not always the best critics for your work - of course they'll be kind but I'm afraid not very constructive. 
  • Trishie - have you attended your new group yet?
  • I really struggled to read out my fiction at first. I've worked as a lecturer (and still give seminars) and had read out my non-fiction many times, so I was unprepared for the feelings I had.

I felt so exposed and vulnerable that I was almost too breathless to read properly. It didn't get any better for a few weeks.  But I decided that being so nervous showed how important writing fiction is to me, and so I kept reading out because I knew I needed feedback on my work to progress. 

Now I can read out without worry - but I ALWAYS have a couple of practice read throughs at home.  I find it helps me to prepare.  I also read all my articles aloud after editing, as I find it shows up sentences that could flow a bit better with a re-write.

I know it's hard, but if you're brave and step out of your comfort zone you may find reading out is worth it.  "Fortune favours the bold" and all that!  And think how good you'll feel when you've done something that challenges you!  I hope anyone reluctant to share their work will try.

Good luck.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments which are heart fully felt.

Most people here seem to be published writers. I wonder if there are people here, like me, who have only just begun to write. I would love to hear from them. 

When I say I have only just begun to write, I mean in the last two months or so.  I am 40 years old and the experience of a bad teacher when I was in my teens totally destroyed my confidence with regards to the written word and the stigma has stayed with me all these years. 

I really enjoy the stories that come into my head and have always promised myself that I would, one day, write them down.  Well that day has finally arrived. To hell with that old teacher, I’m going to learn to write. 
  • That's the attitude!  Good for you Debbie!
  • Congratulations Debbie - that's the first step. All the best x
  • 'Take the bull by the horns ... everyone has butterflies the first time' - a delightful mixture of metaphors there, Betsie. Made me smile.

Jacey mentions reading her writing aloud - to yourself? I would feel rather silly doing that. I know that poetry tutors urge poets to read their poems aloud. How do you get over the silly-feeling? 
  • I'm with you Debbie, kind of.
    Since I was eight years old I have created and written stories of dragons, monster and aliens. But around the age of 16 the writing slowed as my passion moved onto other things: computers, acting and of course, girls.
    I have strayed from the writing path for many years now but I know deep down I still have a passion for it. I am 28 now, and over the past few years have decided to continue on my writing path, though I don't find it as easy as I once did.
    But saying that, I have become a new member of talkback today and have already written more today than I have in the last six months.
    I have everyone of you to thank for that. My imagination and motivation has been kicked into first gear.
    In time Debbie, I think you won't be able to stop writing. Because I can feel the same thing happening to me deep in bones.
  • thanks everone, you are such an inspirational bunch. 

It has certainly been my good fortune to find this fantastic,sometimes nutty, but alway friendly forum. :-) 

I look forward to being a part of it with you all, and hope to be a valued contributor.

It just so happens that reading out loud to myself has never been an issue. Crazy or what?
  • I've always talked aloud to myself to practice seminars, to get the timing right. Maybe that's why I read aloud to myself and never feel silly!  Do you practice your sermons (if that's what you give??)out loud Stan?
  • I find it helpful to read my work into a cassette recorder.  Then, as I listen to the replay, I read through the piece again. When I come to something that I think needs changing I stop the tape and make notes on the page.

At first I felt a bit silly doing this, but I soon got used to it and I found that it helped me to read aloud at my creative writing course.
  • That's an interesting idea Sylvia.  I will give it a go and see if it works for me too.
  • Stan:  just noticed your comment re my mixed metaphors above - I guess it would make a good name for a pub, The Bull and Butterfly
  • Hi Stan2, I know that we are encouraged to read our work aloud but as I still can't face a crowd or even two people listening to me, I have decided the best way is to read to my dog. If he holds his interested look for a few minutes I know my work is good, but if he quickly glances up at me and wonders what I am doing talking to myself, then curls up and goes to sleep.... it's rubbish. Needless to say, I'm very used to the sound of my dog's snoring!
  • Hopefully you will overcome your nerves, but I'm sure you won't be expected to start reading out your work as soon as you join. Our group tells new members not to worry about reading their stuff out until they feel ready to do so. As an alternative if they really don't feel it's something they can do,then there will usually be someone else who will read for them (usually me),and they can listen and hear anything that doesn't quite fit right.
  • Another thought: A member of a circle I once belonged to felt uncomfortable with everyone's eyes upon him.  He solved it by photocopying his work and handing it out to us.  He read aloud while we followed along, all looking at our copy rather than him.
  • Where's Trishie gone?  Has she been to her group yet?
  • Someone asked 'Do you practice your sermons (if that's what you give??)out loud Stan?'. No, a sermon needs a congregation. Besides, I don't write the sermon word for word, I preach from notes. There is also a difference between spoken English and written English. When speaking we convey a great deal by facial expressions and body language. Written English has to be more precise. The reader can't see my face! 
  • The first time I read aloud at a writing class I was so nervous that my knees were knocking under the table! It doesn't take long though before you become so keen to read your work that you can hardly wait for your turn!
  • I know a few members of our local writers' group, and they're all Ladies of A Certain Age, who write nice poetry or little vignettes of village life.  I write sword and sorcery, and when I tried to explain to one of them the sort of thing that I write, I just got blank looks - so no writers' group for me at the moment.
  • Debbie I too am 40 years old and a novice in the sense of writing for the consumption of others. I had a fairly nomadic childhood living in various parts of UK and West Africa and I managed about 4 years of primary education and no secondary education but luckily I learned to read when I was three. I began writing at the age of 9 but hid it. Since then my pen (now laptop and pen and notebooks various) has been my best friend. The only place I could express myself and the only friend I've never had to say goodbye to. Your daft teacher did you a disservice and held you back, time to turn the tables grab back the pleasure that was stolen from you.
  • Stick to your guns Evaine - too many writing groups end up like a cosy grannies' tea party.  I've seen it happen many times.  Kind comments such as 'that's nice' is about as constructive as it gets.  Believe in yourself and write your own style - Mary Wesley was over 70 when her first novel was published - several other novels followed including 'The Cammomile Lawn' which became a TV drama.
  • Thanks for those words NarnieB

I have already condemned that teacher to the dustbin and brushed my hands clean.

So determined am I, to forget the past and get over my hang-up's, that come next year I intend to enrol in a writing course. (Making sure that I take plenty of tissues with me to mop my sweaty brow)

love debbie

• I suppose I'm really a member of a virtual writer's group, as I have a friend in Mid Wales who also writes, a supportive boyfriend in London (who is writing his own vampire story), and a teacher in Minnesota who's been very helpful, through a book discussion website I go on.

Some of the local ladies are very good writers - they just have no idea about fantasy.