Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

mild dilemma

edited January 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I hope I'm not boring anybody here, but I am hoping somebody could help me come to a decision.
    As those who are interested know, I received a script back from BBC writersroom this week with excellent feedback.
    Very good, you may think, but I am suddenly faced with a problem.
    I have written a very rough draft of my latest script and I am just about to embark on editing and generally tidying it up.
    BUT part of me wants to get hold of my previous work, re-write it incorporating the feedback I have received from the BBC and send it off again -probably to an agent/agents.
    What would you do, kind friends? Finish the latest script or tinker with the previous one?
    Has anybody else suffered this dilemma?
  • If your new script just needs a bit of polishing, why not put it to one side, do the tinkering with the other one (congrats on the positive feedback by the way).  Then return to the new one with fresh eyes?  It might be a bit frustrating but it also might help.  Just an idea.  Good Luck and keep us posted.
  • Excellent advice Lixxy and I must confess to feeling the same way about the situation.
    I guess my dithering is because I have spent the last couple of months writing my new script and I suppose sub-consciously I want to finish it while I am on a roll, so to speak.
    But it might be an idea to put it aside at this stage and come to it fresh when I have sorted the other script out.
    I know it is one of the pitfalls of wanting to be a writer, but sometimes it is a pain in the posterior having to return to something you "finished" six months previously!
  • While I was reading your first post I was thinking exactly the same thing as Lixxy. The experience of acting on the feedback you've received on your first script might also inform the polishing you eventually do on your second.
  • My advice would be to finish the second, and then go back to the first. Otherwise, you could get confused, with regard to characters and plots.
    Good luck & a very big well done!