Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A procrastinor's day...................

edited November 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi,

I thought I would share a snippet of my day with you all, just so you know that you can never be more of a procrastinator than me, here goes:

8.45 Make a determined promise that today I will make significant progress with my novel. Decide to sit at dining room table rather than bed or sofa to minimise the risk of falling asleep after 15 minutes of 'writing.'
    8.50 Sit at table, then remember that I have to get my Elizabeth Berg book on writing (just for inspiration) - dash upstairs to get said book, while there gather the following:
    A large pot of assorted pens
    3 A4 notebooks that are filled with a chaotic collection of lists, plots, character sketches etc
    Dictionary/Thesaurus
    9.00 - sit at table.
    9.05 - Decide that dog needs a bath as he is sitting at my feet, and stinks!
    9.10 - Bath dog.
    9.15 - Change out of soaking wet clothes, chase dog around the lounge with hairdryer.
    9.26 - Sit at table, wet dog trembling at my feet.
    9.27 - Open notebook.
    9.30 - Run upstairs to get favourite pen for luck.
    9.32 - Sit at table
    9.34 - Read through notebooks.
    9.40 - Run upstairs to get post it notes and highlighter pen in case I need to highlight something or stick a post it note on it.
    9.43 - Sit at table, read some more.
    9.50 - Decide that I need a cup of coffee for inspiration
    9.52 - Run upstairs to get my favourite mug, find it on my bedside table full of dried on 2 day old hot chocolate.
    9.54 - Wash and bleach favourite mug, make coffee.
    9.57 - sit at table to write.
    10.00- Run upstairs to get radio so I can listen to Womans Hour.
    10.05- Ring my mother and warn her not to go to see new Harry Potter film as sitting in one position for 3 hours has left me with severe back pain.
    10.10- Decide to give up writing and go into training for marathon running as I'm so fit from all the trips up and down the stairs.
    Sorry its a bit long, but hope it gives a flavour of what its like to be queen of procrastination.
    Hope things are better for you all.

Lizzie.
  • They're not much different for me, Lixxie. I haven't got a dog, but I have plenty of other things to distract me. Your mug bleaching episode rang a loud bell. I'm so glad it's not just me.

Must dash, I've got to get on with my novel. Mmm, it's almost lunch time. I'll start as soon as I've had that. Oh, and read the papers. A writer should keep up with current affairs.
  • Sorry, Lizzie, I must need glasses. I mis-read your name. Z's look a bit like X's on my screen. Perhaps it just needs cleaning.
  • I can identify with that 100%.  I don't have a dog but I have to feed the birds, pull a weed, close the gate after the postman.  Check the depth of the dust on the furniture, drink coffee to perk me up, drink of low-cal hot chocolate to stop me eating a whole bar of the real stuff, deal with the e-mails, delete the spam, etc etc oh, and visit Talkback forty million times... Oh dear - who invented procrastination and if they hadn't given it a name would we still be doing it?
  • I'm very impressed that you managed to make it to 9:50 before deciding to make a cuppa. Lizzie, you're a better woman than me!
  • Time now I think for everyone to start Betsie's December homework.  That's right now - ok?
  • Get in from work about six.  Retrieve mutant cat from hell from wherever she has managed to wedge herself.  Feed both moggies.  Put kettle on.  Open post. Clear up cat food from floor and radiator. TIdy bedding, rugs and pillows after cats mammoth psycho session.  Put kettle back on. Get changed.  Let cats out into the garden.  Eventually get round to making a brew.  Get call from lesser half to be picked up from work.  Leave house to collect him.  Get back home.  Throw away cold tea and put kettle back on.  Chat to the much beloved while letting cats in and chasing them round the kitchen trying to dry their paws.  Make second brew.  Get upstairs in time to kick him off eBay and send him downstairs to start tea.  Switch computer on. check emails - have to be answered.  Check amazon delivery estimates on miracle book that will give me the secret to writing a bestseller.  Get called for tea.  Back upstairs by 8.15 and stare at screen wondering where the hell to start! 
  • A writer's work is never done, is it?
  • Hi! Liz loved the 'lesser half' mmmmm  Me write all day but...is anything better?  Get up, check email-notes for day eg pay bill, phone kid one, remember kid two's problem with boss, ex-make right noises, or was it kid one that had the parent evening-congratulate the right grandkids-email,of course.  Call up mates-is that the one with the time share problem, or the book launch, or the one who wants to know how to make a cat flap? Stressed now.  Must try reading my books at least some of them.  Must eat two-bronco (other alf) says I look thin.  Won't eat again so long as I live LOL.  Only joking-I eat sensible yogurt, salad and a banana-throw half of it in bin-would love cigarette but I gave them up years ago.  get dressed, meaning what I would wear if I suddenly had to evacuate the building, otherwise, I'd live in my grot frock.  Then, very cautiously, I look at my diary and start my writing day...and thats another long story...
  • So glad it's not just me that can find the tiniest excuse not to work on my novel!!!

At the moment, I'm in Switzerland celebrating our nephew's first birthday.  When get back to the UK, will work more on proof-reading course, plus write bits and pieces that I've been commissioned to do by various bands.  Shorter pieces are easier, they take less time and emotional commitment - my novel has sat looking at me (I write by hand) accusingly for too long - finishing it would mean having to say goodbye to my protagonist, and she's far too much fun to leave behind.  Plus, I'm very near the end, and I still don't know how it's going to finish.

So - when I get back, I have every intention of picking up said ms and bloody well getting on with it.  Whether my actions mirror my good intentions, I'll find out later, won't I?
  • A writer's work is never done, is it? Hm, seems like the answer is yes, having read this thread. Are men better than women at getting on with the writing? Time for a 3rd cup of coffee. Then I really MUST write that review. Or should I ... no that can wait.
  • I've only recently found this site. Having spent all yesterday reading the various conversations here and decided to join up first thing this morning, this seems to be the most suitable subject to use to break the ice.
  • Hello Dee - welcome to the Crazy Gang
  • Hi Dee

A great big welcome.

We’re not really crazy, a little mad maybe but definitely not crazy.

Now where’d I put that body? 

love debbie 
  • Thanks for the welcomes. I feel I might just be going to feel at home here.
  • Oh DEE,

What have you done? Read through our meanderings and STILL joined? You cannot claim innocence from the obsession this site conspires.

Congratulations on your bravery, welcome and enjoy. The more participants the greater perspective we all gain on any subject.
  • procrastinators unite...

tomorrow
  • I guess Dee procrastinated to the point of not coming back to us.
  • Or maybe she is just getting on with her writing dorothy?

I had big plans to write today but ended up hanging out washing (why? in this weather?), filling out application forms for jobs and going supermarket shopping.

There's a question. Has anyone noticed that May has turned into April? All these showers?
  • I guess after 4 years, we can give up the search for Dee
  • I know where Dee is.

It is before E and after C.
  • Dora, :D
    and why not put the washing out? Today is flat out gorgeous, clear skies, warm, good strong breeze, my men have gone sailing, well two of them have, the third one is exercising my horse and all the other horses with a team from the Sandringham stables.
    No one should allow writing to get in the way of TB. It's against the law.
  • Three cheers for dorothy!

Dee is a river in Scotland, I think.

Now where is my teapot?
  • On your head Stan.

Really Talkback isn't doing me any good. So far I haven't yet put out my washing and I haven't been to the shop.

I H A V E T O G O N O W E L S E I A M D O O M E D T O B E H E R E AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL DAY.
  • hehehe
  • So, I walked to the shop with my guys on their bikes, and my washing is almost dry now. I have hoovered the stairs and made rice crispie cakes with my little helper.

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggh.

I am back here.

No writing done yet today.

This is not good.

I am off.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • Did the rice crispie cakes taste good?
  • Reading pages like these has to be the best form of procrastination ever. I love it !
  • You do? Naughty procrastinating you!
  • It's becoming a real problem with me - as soon as I get a bit stuck I'm off onto some football website or in here or seeing who's on msn you know. I really need to instil some discipline into my regime.
  • And talkback is my main form of distraction. Oh well it's worth it :-) I get encouragement, advice and madness
  • yep. yah does don't yers.
  • Pardon, dora? Can you rephrase that into proper English?
  • Dora dear, are these your teeth?
  • No they belong to the WIFE!
  • I have wasted most of today either on facebook, checking amazon and emails, playing games and now I'm on here. I've taken the dog for a walk, made endless cups of coffee and know I could be writing. TB is the nearest I've got.
  • Easy to be distracted, but, as John Braine says at the start of his book, Writing a Novel;

'Once the late Sinclair Lewis arrived at Harvard, drunk as usual (alcoholism is our main occupational disease) to talk about writing.

"Hands up all those who want to be writers!" he yelled. Everyone's hand went up. "Then why the hell aren't you at home writing?" he asked, and staggered off the platform.

Braine's reason for this anecdote is a profound yet quite simple truth:

A writer is a person who writes.

So I guess we should write.
  • Will you write today?
  • I've been trying (I'm told I'm very trying) to do some writing but I just gaze at the screen. It's so annoying. Last night just before I entered dream land I had a great scene all mapped out in my mind. This morning it isn't working out that way. All the clever dialogue has evaporated away and I can't for the life of me think what this all had to do with the story line.
  • That is so annoying! I am aiming to spend some time tonight writing after unavoidable hospital appointments, cooking tea etc etc. Even if I have to stop up late I am determined to do something.
  • So much time. So many ways to avoid writing. Been there, done that... In fact, still there, still doing that...
  • At least you're not doing the other RG.

Oh, I just had to come on here while eating my cabbage soup.
  • Are you a rabbitt, dora?
  • I am procrastinating when I ought to be working! NAUGHTY me! Oh NAUGHTY me!