Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Private Detective Research

edited September 2005 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• Here's one for you old-style amateur sleuth types.
    Without using modern surveillance equipment, is it possible to find a name and address from a phone number, without actually ringing up and asking ? (Like directory enquiries in reverse)
    By the same token, given an address, is it possible to find out who lives there, short of knocking on the door or asking the neighbours ? Can this be done on the internet ? Don't worry - I'm not about to stalk somebody. It's for a book.
  • Will the Electoral Roll do it?  Not sure just what is published in it but it lists every address (I think).  Otherwise could your character bribe a cheeky kid who lives near to the said address to ask his mum, a mate or someone who lives next door to the address.  The Milkman....  Postman....
  • Not sure about the phone number bit, but 192. com, which trawls electoral rolls among other things, goes some way towards what you're looking for. Have just put my own name and address in, for example, and it told me (for nothing) the names of everyone living at this address. There are different levels of searches however. For more advanced ones you have to buy credits.