Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is Non-Fiction harder to write than Fiction?

edited August 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I have always found it harder to write Non-Fiction.  My imagination is a lot stronger to write Fiction.
    But I have been given an idea by a journalist that  I know to write about a problem I have had throughout my life.  He tells me that it is easier and better to write about something you really know about.
    Do you agree?
    I am going to at least take his advice and have a good try!  Do you think that is worthwhile?
    Alana
  • Hi Alana,
    I agree with Dorothy that it is easier to write about what you know when it comes to non-fiction. My own writing has made me do some research into my chosen subject to ensure all my facts were correct and this in itself was valuable for me. Fiction is often easy because you don't need it to be correct, you can just write whatever comes to mind. I have had a short story broadcast on seven local stations and a non-fiction article published recently so both could eventually prove successful for me. It's a matter of what you are happy with. I enjoy writing (and reading) both.
  • Have courage Alana.

All foregoing comments are endorsed. Remember that although writing fiction gives you absolute control of every aspect in the wording/character/plot, that is the easy bit(!?!). Finding a market to accept and publish the finished work proves very arduous unless the work has been commissioned.
    Non-fiction on the other hand already has an identified niche. The writing is merely a report of events (which have,of course, to be worded interestingly) that you may remember or have researched. Knowing the likely location for the finished articles publication provides you with a means of knowing style/format in which to produce the item.

You can do it, if you want to include humour or "fictional flair" to hold readers attention, do so. Your journalist friend has identified something within you, absorb it with a bit of self-nurturing write the feeling down.
    Good Luck.
  • Hello very interesting comment. I write non fiction. I wouldnt agree either genre is easy-both need that 'inner' thing. Non fiction involves other people, research, verification etc.  Fiction would appear to have non of these problems-but then fiction is based on facts too. So, just write what and how you feel
  • Hi Alana – or as you’re an NZer – should I say: G’dHi Alana ??!!

If you are blessed with a memory for detail and you have an inquisitiveness that urges you to lift-the-lid-and-peer-deep inside (in other words, research into the ‘why-when-where-and-how’ of a topic), then non-fiction could intrigue you.

Go for it, Alana, and give non-fiction a whirl, bearing in mind the oft-quoted maxim that tells us to write about what we know. Everyone on Talkback will wish you the best of luck and eagerly await the outcome.

Treat your present flair for fiction as a bonus and try combining fact with fiction in the manner of Dan Brown’s ‘Da Vinci Code’ – and let the resulting compound flow onto the screen for polishing.

My efforts are SOLELY non-fiction, often triggered by curiosity. Here’s an example that paid off for me because of a brief encounter at Arrowtown in January 1987. Although almost fully concealed by mid-day’s intense shadows the strange features of a forlorn and rusty old farm tractor instantly flicked my interest into orbit. Suffice to say at this point, that my urge to dig deep, continued to niggle long after my return to the UK. Out of umpteen query-letters (all fired blind in the general direction of Arrowtown), a kind soul redirected one to Arrowtown’s museum. An incredible sequence of events led to what proved to be a 1932 vintage F-W-D tractor being fully restored and driven under its own power through Arrowtown’s sun-lit tree-lined avenues as part of the township’s Annual Autumn Festival Parade in 1992. To my delight, its owners presented me with some glossy before-and-after photos.

By way of brief details, after being imported new in 1932 at Invercargill, it survived extremely rough treatment in various hands until 1962 when, after being used as a bulldozer (!), its then owner donated it to the museum. All the staff’s efforts to obtain info essential for its restoration failed, so, from 1962 until 1990 it stood at the mercy of the elements. When my re-directed query letter reached the museum in 1990, the museum’s director had the veteran extracted from under a pile of Victorian-vintage farming tackle in order to include photos in his letter. (That change of position being later confirmed as its first move in years).

With a view to the veteran’s restoration, the museum’s director, David, indicated that he would be grateful for ANY info that my investigations may reveal. By an amazing stoke of luck plus threads far too slender and tenuous to be acceptable in any work of fiction, it became possible for me to obtain pristine photocopies of the elusive info; a complete set of maintenance data, an owner’s manual, and a fully illustrated parts list. When David received the airmailed package, he couldn’t believe his eyes – or his luck when Phil, a retired motor mechanic, volunteered to strip, rebuild and fully restore it.

Both Phil and David grew increasingly amazed to find the machine’s innards – especially the engine – in a remarkably good ‘just-run-in’ condition. A situation, which, in view of 30-years rugged use up to 1962, and a 28-yr exposure to the elements, Phil regarded as incredible.

Phil made steady progress and in May 1992, David’s letter included a b/w newspaper picture dated Saturday 14 April 1962 showing the worse-for-wear veteran being driven through Arrowtown in that year’s Autumn Festival – its final run prior to being donated to the museum. His letter also included two colour photos taken 30-yrs later (almost to the day!), showing Phil driving the resplendent, newly restored veteran along Arrowtown’s sunlit streets in the Autumn Festival on Saturday 18 April 1992 – its first run following restoration.

An extract from David's letter reads:

“We finally got the ‘old girl’ going for the 1992 Annual Autumn Festival Parade – another great success this year. As you will judge from the photographs, she looks very smart and she's running beautifully. You can take a chunk of credit for getting the project off the ground. Everyone involved in the restoration wishes to thank you for all your efforts and input.”

A few weeks later, the editor of a UK niche magazine eagerly accepted my illustrated restoration story. His response encouraged me to seek a similar niche magazine in NZ. After months probing many false leads, one tortuous trail led to what was and probably still is, the only niche magazine of its type in NZ – ample reason why it took so long to locate. Not only did its editor publish my article; he has also accepted and published all my subsequent submissions.

As I indicated at the outset, curiosity has paid-off for me on many occasions.

Curiosity still reigns, Alana. It now leads me to ask if your hometown is in North or South Island?

Looking forward to your info,

Grandpa
  • A fascinating story grandpa.
    Stan
  • Hi Stan,

Thanks for your appreciative comment.

Searching for a suitable NZ magazine led to an equally intriguing -- and successful -- sequel.

Full story is yours for the asking!

Grandpa
  • This is just a thread with the oldest comment, not necessarily the oldest thread.
  • Bumped for Dora.
  • Thanks BB. I don't understand why you did this though.
  • My God, there are some names I haven't heard in a long time.

Jan, I know you're there, you logged on 11 hours ago. :D
  • You too Alana!

Hi-ya, long time no see. :D