Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Getting a plug in Writers' News

edited July 2006 in - WM and WN

Comments

• The "Flashes" sections in WN often have small notices about competitions or events of interest to writers. Does anybody know if you have to pay a fee to get listed here? I know there are standard fees for classified adverts and the like, but have no idea how material is selected for the "Flashes" columns.

The reason I ask is that my writers' group has recently opened its two annual competitions (which I'm judging), but we've had some difficulty getting the competitions listed in some of the usual places. A plug in WN would be really good but we don't really have the funds to pay to take out an advert. I was wondering if the "Flashes" column could work instead.

There's also the Writers' Round-Up page which often carries this sort of news from local groups. Does anyone have any experience of being listed on this page? If so, how did you approach the magazine, and did you have to pay?
  • I can't believe you'd have to pay. Webbo should know the answer if no one else can help.
  • Amboline, do you want to let me have details of your competitions? I can pass them to members of my writing group if that's any help. I'm also tutoring a couple of courses in the coming autumn and could circulate details there.
  • Hello Amboline, and everybody,
    There would be no charge at all for editorial mentions in Writers' News, such as in the Flashes columns, or Writers' Roundup.
    Simply send your press release or competition information to <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">me</A> and I'll forward it on.
    Best wishes
    Webbo
  • Thanks for the information. I'll send something through as soon as I can.