Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May 08's magazines due out 3rd April?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Dorothy, I'm going to be pedantic here but if, as you write, you don't read the profiles, how can you assert that only Malcolm W has earned his space this month?
    Personally I enjoy the profiles (though perhaps the balance of the articles/profiles is not quite right) and find it fascinating to read of the different ways authors have realised their ambitions.
    The magazine can't be all things to all people but I think it makes a pretty good attempt at catering for everyone. We'll all have our pet favourites and dislikes but there's no magazine that would not apply to.
  • because, with the merest skim, I can see whether or not someone is worth 'listening to' and I know from experience on here that MW is worth listening to ...

Rebecca, I agree with you! I don't overly care for Judith Spelmen's interviews (I used to read them, believe it or not) and they do go on way too long. The whole magazine should obey the writer's rule of Write Tight and it should be layout tight. It isn't. The editor talks of having 70 pages, but that discounts front and back cover, inside of front and back cover, which immediately reduces it to 66, take out 2 pages for Contents, 64, 2 pages of ads, 62, and so the count comes down very fast. There are good items but there are also wasted pages, many of them. It is a Writing magazine and should contain Writing information, not 'how I did it' or 'I did it my way' interviews and profiles.
  • If WM was printed on less expensive paper they could reduce the cover price.
  • that is a good valid point, Jenny!
  • Not sure this is really relevant, but I find that they quite often mention (WM and WN) web sites- sometimes in articles sometimes in ads- and on many occasions I can't find them, this time in particluar I can't find the roast book one on page 69 or perhaps it's just me. I wonder if anyone bothers checking them out.
  • I've just had a look. It is there now. The full terms and conditions that apply to the winner/winners are essential reading.
    One part sounded very like a scheme Grosvenor publishing were talking about doing about three years ago.
  • Jay - in answer to your question, when you enter your postcode next to the map on the NYR website, there should appear a host of blue bits around your area on the map, each one labelled with a letter that corresponds to a list below the map of all your local events. If you aren't getting any you must live somewhere very obscure!
  • Your article, Viv, is good, now that I've had time to read it last night, in between trying to finish Stephen King's On Writing. Well done, even if it only takes you to Blackpool.
  • Thanks, Viv. I think I was just being thick! You'd think Reading (the place) would know better than to put 'to practice', wouldn't you?
  • Have followed this debate with interest and agree there is not a good balance between "how to" and profile features in the magazine today. However, I recently came across a copy from when I first subscribed in 1993 and I think many would be surprised by the analysis of the content.

Contents = 1 page, Adverts = 6 pages (though none for the magazines), Publishing was afforded 3 double page spreads and there were three pages described as Comments. Technology had a single and a double page, Richard Bell and David St John Thomas both had double page pieces and no less than four pages were devoted to reviews of books. Four pages were set aside for current competitions and to display the winning story and one for letters. The rest was devoted to profiles and how to features.

There was a 3 page introduction to Freelance Writing, 2 x 2 page features on writing for two different target markets, a 3 page piece on writing for teenagers and 2 pages for fiction writing. Poetry had a page and a half and a further 2 pages went on promoting a career in editing. Finally there were two single page question and answer features on using a pen name and interviewing techniques. Quite a lot of space dedicated to the art and craft of writing then, but nothing on script writing, screenplays and very little space given to poetry.

On the profile side it surprised me to find the situation little different to the current situation. There were 3 single page profiles, including a My Writing Day piece, a double page spread and the three page Judith Spelman interview. There was also a single page interview with a new writer who had won an award.
    From this single copy it would seem the number of profiles has not changed much but perhaps the subjects have changed. More space is now given over to other types of writing making less on article and story writing so maybe that is why we feel there is not so much of the "how to" element today.

That said I do feel a writing magazine should be about writing and would welcome some exercises that would help get the brain focused before a writing session. A few years ago there was a web site that sent out a daily challenge and I found these invaluable. Not only did they get me writing and thinking but they also encouraged me to try other forms of writing and writing for different audiences. As a result I had pieces published in cat and dog magazines despite never having owned a pet and I have had viewpoints, nostalgia and travel writing and how to pieces published too.

Sorry this has dragged on somewhat. I'll go and do some writing now!
  • That comparison was really interesting Wordy as it was my perception that the magazine has changed more than would appear to be the case. :)
    I agree about the writing exercises - small challenges to make you do something different from your normal writing but that would not be too time-consuming. Mind you, I have tried doing a few of the mini-comp exercises (without submitting because often the prize does not appeal!) just to get the writing cells in gear - it helps.
  • I would say that the main change has been that it's no longer in the 19th century!
  • My long-awaited article based on the 'colour of the sea' will be in WM next month. It hopefully gets you thinking about why and how you use colour to enliven your writing. I hope that counts as 'how-to' exercises.
  • Viv, will look forward to reading your article. If found listing things I had done and even just words that came into my head over five minutes were quite good starters.
  • Get someone to suggest 6 small items at random - things you might find in pockets or handbag, then write about the character you think would be carrying them and why. That's a good short exercise for character creation.
  • Viv, just read your article in May's WM. Well done you. I will certainly look on the website you referred to as soon as I can. :P
  • My congratulations to all from TB who appear. An impressinve crop this month. I for one find it a good spur to work harder and get there myself. Well done all.
  • Well done, Malcolm!
  • I finally got to read Malcolm's author profile- well done.
  • And I seem to remember that Judith Spelman did a three page interview with Santa Montefiore FAIRLY recently.
    Was there nobody else or do the same people come around time after time?
    I actually like the profiles and on a personal note I feel too much space is given over to poetry while there is only sporadic pieces on tv/radio and film writing. Alison Ripley's screenwriting articles were always interesting because that is my preferred medium
  • Hmmm. One I read seemed to be a summary of the story.
  • Well done everyone in the May issue!
  • Ok - so I'm stupid. There I was congratulating everyone else and telling you that you are an inspiration to me, when I woke up tot he fact that I was short listed for my poetry entry in A Tale of Two Countries in Writing Magazine. So I'm feeling quite pleased with myself this morning.
  • Well done Mutley!
  • well done Mutley!
  • congratulations!
  • Congratulations, Mutley. A bumper month for Talkbackers it seems.
  • I have just received my first copy of WN on subscription, a wonderful present from my mother for my birthday. It's great not to have to go trawling round the shops looking for a copy when it can just drop through the letter box:)

I shall now be able to read all about the wonderful talkbackers I have met on here.

So glad I have received a worthwhile present.
  • edited April 2008
    Lovely, niddy :)

And well done, Mutley!
  • Well done Mutley!
  • Well done to everyone who got into the magazine!
  • Three cheers for Mutley. :)
  • Congrats, Mutley!
  • One male writer (not on TB) read my letter and said some men DO do their bit to help! I only wrote my letter as a jokey response to the article which mentioned that some male writers can write for hours without worrying about chores, etc. I didn't mean to offend anyone by implying that ALL male writers are like that! I assumed that most people who read my letter had read the original article. Hope no male writers on TB were offended by it.
  • I think most would take it in the way you meant it Rebecca. I suspect that man had a guilty moment- and may have been nagged to do his share!
    I may be wrong, and if so I apologise.
  • I got the impression he regularly helps out round the home. After reading my letter, he drowned his sorrows in a glass of whisky or something, which made me feel terrible!
  • That was his excuse!!! :D
  • since when has a man needed an excuse ...
    My OH (thankfully ex) was no support at all, in any shape or form, but he took the royalties to spend. As we were then in a two up two down terraced cottage, he did arrange a 'shed' for me, lined and insulated and furnished but then left me to it. No reading through anything, no advice on what to write or where to go for information. He was good at driving me places, but mostly because he enjoyed that bit! And, he knew I would get something out of it to write about (I did, every time.)
  • I love reading about the authors, and how they started writing. I find it very inspirational. Thanks to the magazine I've discovered lots of new writers. One thing I do miss, though, is the articles on thrillers. I found them very helpful. I can't understand why they don't have more of those given that the thriller genre is one of the most popular.
  • Congratulations Mutley. :P
  • Well done, Mutley.
  • RebeccaZ - your letter made me laugh out loud. I read it to OH and he said in a grumpy voice ' you can tell it was written by a woman'. He's not prone to doing housework!
  • RebeccaZ, i am mortally offended.
    I read your letter after the little lady had cooked my tea and I was waiting for her to finish the washing up so that I could go back to writing on the kitchen table.
    I had been forced to decamp there because, first of all, she turfed me off my desk in the bedroom because she needed to change the linen then, while I was stretched out on the sofa writing up a few notes, she announced she needed to be in there to do the hoovering and polishing! Unbelievable!
    It was only yesterday that I couldn't go for a drive looking for "inspiration" cos she was washing the blooming car!
    Come on ladies, give us a break.........................
  • Very funny :D
  • loved it, CJ!
  • Well done, you all!
    We have a front page star! Well done Jose. (I liked your stuff on ywo)
    And Verica
    and Rebecca - there were pieces in this month's mag about writing routines and it sounds so easy, no mention of Tesco or cooking or washing up! If only. I have a list of jobs - have to do lunch soon. My OH doesn't get out much and doesn't drive. Where she goes I have to go etc etc.
    Good article Viv. Nice photo, too. Hope they don't show my photo if ever I get published!
  • Jay - Back up the page a bit, you referred to the magazine no longer being in the 19th century. Did you mean that or should it have been the 20th?