Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in May 08's magazines due out 3rd April?

13»

Comments

• I received my copies last Friday but still haven't had a chance to look at them.
    It seems that TBers feature heavily this month.
    Congratulations to all of you who appear.
    I'm looking forward to finding and reading all your contributions.
  • That's what I meant, Jenny! :-)
  • Courierjohn - maybe you should write a letter to WM to put your side of the story! :-)
  • And Bill - you could write them a letter too!
  • This could run and run - apt, for Courier John. :-)
  • I saw Josie at Foyles yesterday :) She was very confident and made people laugh (I'd have been a quivering wreck if it'd been me, so Josie, I salute you).
  • Thanks for that report TP. Josie has always struck me as being a very competant, confident and very focused person - and I do not mean for that to sound patronising.
    Josie puts a lot of effort into what she does and deserves the success
  • RebeccaZ
    Me, write a letter?...I don't have time to write my own name these days - too busy dodging chores!
    Tee Hee
    Only joking, I have a very childish sense of mischief. Forgive me
  • Indeed, and I especially liked the piece she read from the pov of a sleep-deprived character - I found I could relate to it and it made me giggle :) Well done, Josie.
  • Thanks people! I’m back now, gawd it takes a long time to get from London to Cardiff. I stayed last night in a hotel in Victoria so was playing in the snow this morning, quite surreal. Anyway, home again and back to the usual. Have posted some photos on the Legend Press authors’ blog (http://forward.legendpress.co.uk/legendary_authors/)

I generally am confident when I’m up there, but I have kittens beforehand about stupid things like being late or turning up at the wrong place. Once I’m there I do a good impression of a rock star, haha.

TP it was great to see you! When you introduced yourself as TP I was sure you’d said Debbie and thought you were someone else, but once we started talking about WN I’d figured it out. :-)
  • I emailed WM twice about last months edition. Firstly because I couldn't understand the rules of the poetry competiton. They promised to take a look at it and get back to me. Secondly, there was a letter in it that pointed out to the editor a couple of grammatical errors in a previous issue. Ironically the letter had a typo in it. Anyway, needless to say I didn't receive a reply to either of my emails.
    Well done to Mutley and everyone else who did get a mention though.
  • Sorry, Josie, I should have been clearer, but figured it was better to use TP than my real name, which I don't even know if you know. It was good to meet you finally, and if you're ever up again, let me know and I'll pop along again and see you. By the by, I did come away with another book about China - what a surprise, eh? ;) Foyles is deadly.
  • I think the Talkbacker who won the WN short story comp may have been called Polly. That's the first name of the author, anyway, and it rang a bell. Haven't read the story yet, Polly-or-whoever, but I'm looking forward to it.

I have to add that my name's listed on the page, too, as the second prize winner :)
  • Well done Amboline. :)
  • It was Polly who won. I found her posting in the "Who's in February's magazines?" thread. Don't think she's logged on recently, but I think we should all send a big WELL DONE her way! ;-)
  • Yay, well done Polly!
  • Congrats Polly!
  • Well done Polly. :P
  • Well done Amboline. :P
  • Yes, congrats to Polly.
  • I've now read Polly's story, and I really enjoyed it. There was some lovely descriptive writing in there; the whole story was really very "visual", every sentence conjured up an image. It was a bit more conventional than the sort of thing I usually go for, but what a fine touch with character sketch and dialogue Polly has! Well done :)
  • Just looked up Polly's profile. She only joined us in Dec, and last posted in January. Looks like we've lost Polly, and just when we are all trying to congratulate her too!
  • Just got to the end. Well done to Malcolm, Josie, Mutley, Amboline, Rebecca, Viv, Verica and Polly :)
  • My issues of WM/WN FINALLY turned up this morning. I used to get my copies a few days after the rest of you so I don't know what's happening with the mail these days. Do you have yours yet, Nena?

Congratulations to Josie, Malcolm, Verica, Rebecca, Viv, Mutley and Amboline.
  • No, mine hasn't arrived yet, but it was a day or two after yours last month so hopefully...tomorrow?
  • I must say I enjoyed Viv's article. Such a clear, crisp, uncluttered writing style! There was one detail I disagreed with (counting SF and fantasy as "literary escapes" when this category of fiction is more often allegory, commentary or speculative fiction. It's a mistake often made by non-readers of the genre. Yet romance, chick-lit and the majority of what is on the humour shelves never seem to get labelled as "escapist" for some reason...) but, this aside, this was one of the best written articles I've seen in WM for ages.
  • I just received my mag 2 days ago, and I haven't had time to read it yet. But I'm looking forward to it :-D
  • Thanks Amboline for the good comments. I guess all fiction is a form of escapism as we are entering an imaginary scenario, and I did try to say that by suggesting just taking a good book to the beach. Examples seemed necessary and sci-fi is the obvious choice! No offence intended to those who read it - quite the opposite. There are some great imaginary worlds in sci-fi and fantasy, and well done to those writers who can create them.
  • Only got my magazines a couple of days ago. So many familiar faces and names - haven't time to trawl through this thread to pick up all the talkbackers that have been featured, but obviously spotted Josie and MalcolmW straight away.
    Congratulations to all of you!