Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in June 08's magazines due out 1st May?

Comments

• I agree with that, too!
  • Just got the end of going through all my scribling in WN. Basicaly I mark all items that might be of interest, that might want cause me to go as far as sending stuff away... A couple of emails submissions later and a printed entry form and... well that's it... Either there wasn't much in the last to issues of WN, or I've sent my book to every publisher and agent in the known universe and it's time to lay the damn thing to rest...

bugger... I thought it was a good book too :(
  • Annnndddd today I just found out I didn't win a play compo... Feck me... Time to turn to the hard stuff....
  • Keep trying!
  • because?
  • Because you're worth it!!! (Sorry - couldn't resist it.)

Seriously, don't give up, because you're a writer, and writers write. Give submissions a break for a while and go back to it when you feel refreshed and able to give it another go.

Or - you could ignore me :)
  • Good advice TP, a break and you'll soon be raring to get to the keyboard again RG. :)
  • I've been at it for too long now. Going to take a break from writing. I'll finish on that last book I tinkered with...

I actually feel now, for the first time since I began writing in earnest, that there is no point.

Sad to say, I think I just don't have the tallent.
  • Don't let it get to you, RG. Hope you feel more optimistic soon.
  • Hear, hear. Give it a break, read some books, watch some films, relax a bit and try to recharge your batteries. You'll soon find you miss writing. (Believe me - I have a fiction-block at the moment and it's driving me nuts.)
  • RG we all go through this, do as what has been suggested, have a break do something different , have long walks, read etc then go back it really does help.
    What's more try writing something different like poetry or non-fiction ( not sure what you already write)
  • It's true we do all have those what's the point moments. Honest.
    Do those suggested things, or anything else that takes your fancy for that matter!
    You will soon be itching to take up your pen again. :)
  • I have my doubts. I keep reaching for that part of me that used to be a writer and there is nothing there... Not even really anything at all. more like an abscence of anything. As though it never was. I do think this is the end of the road for my writing.

It was fun, but the game has spun down. Time to turn off the lights and put it back in the box.
  • Don't put the lid on the box, though, eh? Keep it breathing for later. You may feel this way now but you never know how you'll feel later. Chin up.
  • Sending you some positive vibes random - sounds like you need some right now.
    There is ALWAYS some point in writing , HONESTLY, I really believe that. Even if it never gets read (which it will do) there is a point in it. You might not feel that right now, but I am sure it's true. Hope that doesn't sound patronising, or preaching - it's meant with the best intentions.
    Best wishes.
  • It sounds like you need to step back a pace. Do the most basic things like keep a journal about what is going on around you.
    I would also say you may be getting a little depressed because this is so unusual.
    Believe us, we would not tell you a lie. :)
  • I need a fresh start from it all, so I'll probably break from the journal, the notebooks and the ideas and focus on something non-writing related... My view at the moment - and not to drag this thread too much away from what Jay opened it for - is that I give stuff to people, friends and realtives, and it just never ever gets read... Everyone wants it, no one reads it. The only conclusion I can come to is that they are all reading the first few pages, finding its crap and stopping there, before they waste their own time, or put themselves into a postion where they have to tell me its crap....

Lack of will power, lack of belief, lack of focus are all forgivable in writing, but lack of tallent... Well that's the killer...
  • How do you know no one reads it? And have you asked them for an honest opinion?
  • Well if I give someone something to read and they never ever get back to me ....
  • Ah... have you considered that like most busy people they put it down intending to read it, get preoccupied with other things, and you haven't asked how it is getting on yet, and the inevitable happens- where did I put it/ I'll look for it later etc.
    Never assume people won't get side-tracked, lose-it etc.
    Ask them whether they actually read it. You may find out they did and meant to get back to you, or they just haven't read it yet, or they misplaced it.
    Go on try asking. :)
  • FINALLY!!! Got my June magazines today. Nena, I hope yours are not too far away - agree with you about the time delay - annoying. Congratulations to everyone who is mentioned or who has had something published in June. I will knuckle down and read them tonight.
  • RG, I do recognise the feeling, as I know do many others here.

It's particularly disappointing when people don't read your work. That applies both to agents, publishers and the like, and people you know.

One of my problems, as was recently pointed out ot me, is that I'm an enthusastic reader. I'm always reading, I devour books at a great rate and ususally can find things to say about them, whether I like them or not. Because of this I very easily forget that not everyone is the same. Some of my acquaintances read a couple of novels a year, if that. So reading a novel of mine would be an enormous commitment for them - so much greater than my reading one of theirs, should they write one.

I'm not trying to simplify your problems. I know how dispiriting this game/vocation can be. I went away from it for a long time while I did other things, and in some ways I don't regret it, though I wish in other ways I could have that time back again.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)
  • I'll start a new thread when I decide, I don't want to kidnap this thread anymore than I have... Sorry Jay....
  • edited May 2008
    Kidnap a thread? Most of us do that ALL the time ! In fact, I reckon it shows inspiration and resolve to get as many posts on one thread a you can- even if you change the subject , or rather ESPECIALLY if you change the subject!! ;)
  • that's normal on Talkback. :)
  • No problem, RG.
  • Which section on TB deals with self publishing?
  • Random, I've been trying to find a copy of an article that is massively inspiring for anyone thinking of giving up writing - and I can't find it! I've got a feeling it was in Writer's Forum magazine a few months ago. Basically this guy has just got a brilliant publishing deal, but his story of how many agents and publishers he sent it to had me in stitches. He has to be the most persistant person in the world. He even said he went on holiday for two weeks and sent it to as many people as he could before he went, just so he could see how many rejections he could get at once and break his own record - when he got back, he could hardly get in the door there were so many rejection envelopes waiting for him! And then suddenly it was picked up by a major agent. I can't even remember the name of the author - can anybody help?

I made a vow recently that I would never give up until I die (!!!), and I would treat my writing like a business. Every time a rejection came in, I would send the manuscript back out there straight away so I always had something to wait for. I'm really hoping it's paid off this year, as suddenly I've had two publishers asking to see the full manuscript of two different books, so I'm so glad I didn't give up and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Stay in there!
  • I have done this "bounce" rejection technique, but it has brought me nothing but dissapointment and pain. I've got to accept, at some point, that I just don't have the tallent required to interest a publisher or agent. Put simply, I'm just not good enough.

Just for the record, one of my books has been rejected 40 times... And that is only the ones that I have been bothered to record. Some email rejections occured so fast (same day) that I didn't have a chance to record where I had sent it... Rejection times range from 2 hours to a year or more. I was once shortlisted in an agents competition and some agents took the time to say nice, but utlitmatly futile things like "too comercial for us" or "just don't love it enough to take it on"...

It's the end of the line. Everyone off. Dream train of being a writer stops here.

Thanks for the ride.
  • try 'self publishing' in the search box, RG.
  • RG, have you thought of having a professional critique of some of your work?
    I know I'm not supposed to say this, but maybe you are right - maybe you aren't (currrently) good enough to be published. And I'm afraid I'm not in the 'never give up' brigade. That's fine if you write purely for your own pleasure, but that doesn't seem to be the case with you - you want to be published, fair enough.
    But maybe you could be good enough with a bit more guidance on where you are going wrong. Or maybe you've just been unlucky, wrong place wrong time.
    Agents and publishers are business people looking for what will make them money now. It is a competitive business and they don't the time or the inclination (usually) to give helpful feedback or encouragement. It doesn't necessarily mean your stuff is useless, but they're not working for you.
    A professional critique service would be working for you so hopefully would give you what you need. Worth a try before you give up?
  • I agree with Heather that would be a good investment RG. If you are that bad and don't have any talent it would be obvious in their report. You may just find it is okay/very good, or just needs some work.
    Writers may stop writing but they can't stay that way for long- eventually your brain goes in to overload and you have to write to get any peace.
  • The other option if you are really intent on stopping writing is to have a copy of your book made up just to keep in the family. My sister and I really enjoyed reading my grandmother's books and read them many times over, even though she was never published. If you go through someone like Lulu.com, I think you have to type-set it etc yourself, but then whenever you want a copy printed you can order one.
  • Sometimes RG you have to accept that the market is in a different place than the book you have written. That does not make you a bad writer or give reason to stop writing. It means you need to put that book in a drawer and start the next one. I have a finished book that was rejected many times. I may rewrite it at some point but for the time being I have decided that it is the wrong place to put my energy. Instead I went back to basics and started with short story writing, enrolling on the WN course. The more I do the more my writing improves and I start to understand where I was going wrong. One question I need to answer is whether I am writing just to get published or because I have to. If you want to be published you need to start by looking at what the market wants. You might write a brilliant book but noone will want it if they don't think they are going to make money on it. As a new writer you are a big risk to a publisher, they will look for things that are tried and tested way ahead of something by an unknown that they don't know will sell. Whatever you do, rejection of a book is not a reason to give up. It is a reason to say 'what can I do better?' 'what shall I do differently next time?' I have a notice on my office wall in big letters 'I AM NOT AFRAID OF FAILURE' - It's tough but go back to the beginning and have another shot.

I do find writing short stories and poetry is very good to keep me motivated during the long haul of writing a book.
  • I think yes, I need to look again at my motives for writing, but this may mean taking a break from writing in order to see the problems with a little more clarity.
  • And this is what I did!

I've cancelled my Writers News subscription, it just didn't have anything in it anymore that I found usefull.

I'm going to take a long, perhaps permanent break from writing. Feels good to finally admist to myself that I'm simply not good enough. It feels better to say that than think of how impossible it is to be a writer today without being in the "business"... Writers come from somewhere, that's what agents believe... Whether or not thats true, I dont know, I don't actually care either. They can all rot for all I care.

Thanks for all your kind words people. It was an interesting ride, but at the end of the day, when the pain of banging my head on a brick wall starts to feel less fun than it should, I intend to stop.

Good luck with your endavours.

P
  • RG, every good wish for wherever you go and whatever you do in the future. Been good to know you.
  • Yes, all the best, RG. It's good that you feel happy with your decision, and who knows what the future might bring.
  • Good luck RG.
  • Best of luck.
  • I hope you feel better now - you certainly seem happier. Good luck to you.
  • All the best Randomguy, whatever you do. (You know we're here if you ever need us because the writing bug has hit again.)
  • Good luck RG.
    I understand how you feel and it's a brave decision, but I truly hope you find something else that works for you. And maybe one day you'll feel differently and come back - but good on you for knowing what is right for you now.
  • RG - Hope you soon find an activity you enjoy, whether it earns you anything or not. And remember - you don't have to be an active writer (or even a WN subscriber) to join in TB chats!
  • Sorry to see you go RG. As Jenny says, I am sure we would all enjoy you chattiung on here every now and then - whatever you are doing, writing or not. TC
  • Good Luck RG.
  • Good luck RG.
  • Farewell and goodluck RG, hopefully we'll hear from you one day.
  • RG - best wishes, but hear this.......

......a friend of a friend of mine has just been plucked from the obscurity of the slush pile and secured a five book deal with an £million advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    His name's Matt Hilton. He's been plugging away for 30 years.

As I've said before...tenacity is key...but I respect your decision and wish you all the best.
  • Col B - wow! That shows there is hope for us all.

RG - your decision may lead you into all kinds of new and exciting ventures, who knows? Very best of luck, whatever you do.