Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in August 08's magazines due out 3rd July?

2»

Comments

• I haven't read the winning story yet, but often find I prefer the one that came second (published on the website, but it's not up yet this month). I wonder why that should be?
  • I still haven't received mine yet.
  • Hopefully tomorrow then.
  • Yippee, mine came today - shall sit and savour over the next few days - well done everyone who was in the mag this month.
  • Congratulations Kateyanne, Josie, Highland Midge, trimbell. Hope your poem makes it another time, Mutley.
  • I've just come across my name amongst the Swanwick winners. A fellow member of our writing group came third in the poetry competition and will be going to Swanwick for the first time this year. We'll look forward to meeting Kateyanne at the presentation.
  • Well done!
  • Just read the story you've been talking about. I have to say, I agree. It's badly written. How on earth are we supposed to compete with bad writing?
  • Montholon, congratulations!
  • Well in the end it comes down to the judge, and what their criteria is.
  • How strange. The WN homepage appears to have regressed to an older one than was up before - now dated 12/06 with a previous comp winner on it.
  • I suppose so, Carol. I am surprised, though. I don't read them very often, but the ones I do read are better than that. Credit to the writer for winning, though.
  • edited July 2008
    I still haven't had time to look at it yet, so I must read it.
    We've got to expect that there will be times when we disagree with the judges- but usually the winner is very well deserved. Perhaps the judge thought the story was more important than the bad writing...
    But congratulations to them on their win.
  • Which story are we on about here ? In WM ?
  • edited July 2008
    (Appalling grammar, Lexia - "on about" indeed !)
  • Just got mine today. Congrats to everyone mentioned.

Re the winning short story, all it goes to show is how subjective it all is. No two judges will make the same choice. Those of you who entered and didn't make it should take comfort from that and keep at it. My motto is "All competitions are pants, except the ones I win which are GREAT!" :-)
  • Yes, Lexia, the one in WM, the ghost story. I thought the plot was good, in itself, but it was too much for a short story so it didn't work.
  • Well done Montholon. :P
  • Like your motto, FT !

Well done everyone who has something in or mentioned.

I thought the ghost story was good except would love to ask the main character why he/she did not recognise Uncle Fred ?
    Anyway, well done winning writer !
  • Me too !
  • I still haven't received my copy ...
  • Congratulations Kateyanne, Josie, Highland Midge, trimbell, and Montholon :)

Only just got mine as been away on hols. Commiserations to you, Mutley - neither my poem, nor my ghost story, made it, sadly :(, maybe we can enter them again next year!
  • Congratulations from me too.
    :)
  • Mcb - perhaps we should bring out a 'didn't quite make it anthology'! :)
  • Well done Kateyanne, Highland Midge, Trimbell, Montholon and Josie! Apologies if I've missed anyone. :-)
  • There is a mention of the great Jay Mandall in the letter section of WN. Quite the star we have in our midst...
  • He'll be even more of a star after the reading at Foyle's today!
  • How did the reading go Jay?
  • Hi, Robin. It's all in the thread/discussion:

Foyle's - reading of Jay's story on 25th!

I'll bring it to the top for you.