Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in September 08's magazines due out 7th August?

2»

Comments

• Aha, HM! I read it with interest, but didn't realise it was you.
  • Well done Midia, JB and HM.
  • Not exactly my own glory, but one of my students has a shortlisting in the childrens bullying story competition. She is a complete beginner, not yet published but very keen to learn and improve, so this will really boost her confidence.
  • Good to hear that Viv - encouraging for you.
  • edited August 2008
    Hi everyone
    Glad you seemed to like the article. The version in the magazine is very much cut down from the original, but is still in three parts. If anyone wants the full, unexpurgated version, just let me have your email address ([email protected]) and I'll send you a copy.
    Regards
    James
  • I am certainly finding it useful, James - am just off to email my request to you for more of the same!
    Thanks very much for that - it's really good of you to spare time to give others a hand up the slippery slope :P
  • Hi mcbemused
    It's on its way!
    James
  • Congratulations everyone in both issues. Mine is waiting in the pile of post, so I will have a look later.
  • My WM is at the bottom of a pile of 3 magazines to be read!
  • Finally got there! Well done to James, Midia, Highland Midge and magicman. (And I do wonder if Josette might be in there as well but only she will be able to confirm - if so, well done! :) )
  • Well done Midia, James and Highland Midge. Magicman and Josette - whereabouts are you?
  • Anyone read the stories and poems yet?
  • Not yet, I only just had time last night to read through the main items, and markey features.
  • Re the winning story in WN, I thought it was a good idea but there was too much telling and not enough showing. And far too much of the pluperfect "had".
  • Good article James! Looking forward to part 2!
  • I just got mine! That has to be some sort of record. Thanks, WN!
  • Just discovered that I've made an unexpected appearance on the back page of Writers' News this month. I've actually been quoted! They've reproduced a bit of my Poet's Soapbox article on poetry competitions that was in NAWG LINK a couple of months ago - putting me in the same august company as Mariella Frostrup!

*blushes*
  • Well done Amboline.
  • edited August 2008
    Well done amboline - I had read and agreed with that sentiment assuming it was referring to short story writing - so a universal, rather than just poetry-related observation, it would seem. :)
  • Well done!
  • congratulations!
  • *nods* Yes, that first article was written with short story writers as well as poets in mind. Future articles are going to be a bit more poetry-specific, that's assuming NAWG actually want the whole series (they didn't use the article that was supposed to be the follow-up to this one, and I haven't yet heard back from them about whether they intend to do so in the future).
  • I noticed your name on the back, amboline, I did wonder if it was you :) Well done.
  • You are a man?
  • Well done by the way!
  • [quote=LizB]You are a man?[/quote]

Yep, amboline is a man, Liz :P
  • Last time I checked, yes.
  • It always sounds like one of Henry's wives to me, too, Liz.
  • Me too!
  • Well done, Mr Amboline!
  • Well done! =D
  • Not long before the next issue.
  • Jay: the "-ine" is like in "turpentine", not like in "Windolene". It surprises me how many people make that mistake!
  • I think it's because names tend to go with the 'ene' sound... apart from Clementine in the song I guess...ooh and Caroline and Valentine... Christine, Emmeline, Pauline, Janine, Josephine, Jacqueline, Geraldine, Justine, Nadine,
  • Congratulations. :)
  • Oh, no. I've been thinking 'Amboleen' all this time. :(
  • Likewise!
  • Well done Amboline.