Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in October 08's magazines due out 4th September?

Comments

• Mine has just arrived :)

Well done, Jay.
  • Well done, Jay:)
  • Mine too. Congratulations to all contributors.
  • I don't pick up my mail on Saturdays, have to wait until Monday now ... congrats, Jay! and Treleaven!
  • Mine turned up with a thump this morning!
  • No sign of mine and post has been.
  • Well done all who are mentioned. The prizewinners/shortlists for the annual and new subscribers comps are also in the Competitions guide that came with the mags. Noticed a couple of familiar names there too, so well done ladies!
  • edited September 2008
    My magazines arrived today, along with a lot of other stuff I've been waiting for...and unless I'm very much mistaken on page 68 of WM I've spotted Louise Treleaven - you are now going to tell me that I'm wrong and the name is a coincidence aren't you...

well done to Jay as well =) and everyone else who is in it
  • edited September 2008
    No sign of mine yet, have to wait until Monday.

Well done to all the lucky winners and contributors.
  • And have just spotted Dorothy in WN - well done - and to everyone else who is in WN

You might think that I'm reading a bit fast as I was talking about WM a minute ago - but I skim through it first and then go back and read it properly
  • Yes mine has arrived.
    Saw your letter Jay, well done.
    Great write up about your IoW book Dorothy.
    And in the competitions insert, and one of the runners-up in the short-story competition- congratulations ladies.
    And anyone else who has not yet told us their spotlight.
  • thanks, Carol, need to get hold of my copy!!! I sent a 'press release' and WN followed up with more questions. I should be in the Isle of Wight Gazette soon too. It's the national advertising the publisher/editor is interested in, so I can tell him it is definitely in there and send him a copy when I get to work on Monday. Sounds as if TBers have taken over this month!
  • A very good show of TB's this month.
  • Mine's just arrived and wow! I knew that Kateyanne and I would both have our work published in the competitions supplement and photos in WN (as Swanwick prizewinners), but I've been shortlisted for the WN 'Loyalty' short story competition as well.

However, the morning post also included my latest playscript - another one rejected by the BBC Writers' Room. Sob, sob.
  • Never mind Montholon, look on the positives- all that publicity in this issue.
    I saw your name as a runner-up- well done. :)
  • Thanks, Carol. We all have to take failure on the chin, don't we? One of the many good things about going to Swanwick is hearing very well published writers admit that even they still get rejections. The answer seems to be to see if/how the manuscript can be improved and then send it off on its travels again.
  • Yes, perseverence. :)
  • Mine arrived today. It's going to take a while to catch up with all these, but well done everybody!
  • See they've revamped the layout of the author profile pages. Makes them look more inviting.
  • Well done everyone. I am the 'Rosemary' in the piece on Alpha writers on p2- of Writers News.
  • Page 20 if anyone's confused.
  • Sorry, Mutley. I should have whispered it to you so you could edit your post.
  • Congrats to all TBers in the mags this month!

I have a letter on p67 of WM. (Pot luck).
  • very good- multitasking.

Last Sunday my children wanted more to eat. I fell asleep on the settee till KT announced, in a calm voice, that she thought the chicken nuggets were burning
  • Your letter made me smile Rebecca. :-) I wish I had the ability to multi-task like that! Congrats to you and all other Tber's in this month. I got a mention as a shortlister in the new subscriber comp. in the supplement thingy.
  • more congratulations to all TBers who made it into the pages!
  • Jolly well done everyone! Nice to see so many familiar names in the magazines!! :D
  • Damn, my mother finally agrees to pay the subscription fee so I can get the mag and the link is down! E-mailed the tech so I hope to get it later this month and can actually read all your work!
  • Well done to Montholon (pages 10 & 26); Kateyanne (page 10); Dorothy (page MN4); Rosemary (page 20) and Midia (page 31) – Writers’ News;

and to Rebecca (page 68) – Writing Magazine;

and Josette (page 30); Montholon (page 39); and Kateyanne (page 41) – Annual Competitions Guide.

And to anyone I've missed.
  • Bumper crop of TB successes this month.
  • edited September 2008
    Such as Louise Treleavan on page 68 of Writing Magazine.

And I forgot to say thank you to everyone. Whoops!

And I've just realized I could have edited my previous post to include this.
  • Good letter, Jay ! Well done midia and treleaven !
    Wow kateyanne ! And what a good write up dorothy !

Hope I haven't missed anyone - have only read the bits of mags with TB'ers in so far. Great stuff folks !!!
  • Well done everyone - looks like TBers have really taken over the mags this month! It's nice to read and see who you can spot. I was chuffed to see my letter (encouraging Stella to publish her lecture notes) and be in the esteemed company of Jay Mandal! Although they did spell my name wrong - it's Treleaven as in heaven not TreleaVAN.

There always seem to be a few typos in WM - you'd think they'd be extra careful considering the subject...
  • The star letter in WN has "this kind of practise" and "not yet used to dodgy practises".
  • Sheesh ! Editors ! ;)
  • But are there as many typos as there have been?

I've just been reading through the competitions insert, and have to say there are quite a few of the monthly competitions in both magazines which I might try next year. Got some ideas already.
  • Still not got mine yet. Congratulations to all those TB'ers in this month. Look forward to reading your contributions.:P
  • Not got mags either so looking foward to seeing my poem and Swanwick things mentioned.
    Congrats to all Tbers.
  • Well done to everybody who is in it this month. I have only read James' piece about the novel so far, and been studying the competitions information.

Good to see Neil Gaiman ...... swwoooon swooon. Delicious.
  • Interview with Helena about her self publishing in the comps supplement. Is she still a tb member?
  • she comes here occasionally, I get the impression she is flat out busy with her publishing company and doesn't have much time to spare
  • Anybody else swooning over Neil? OOOOcha.
  • can't swoon, don't have my copies yet!
  • Aww sorry. I wish tho they had put a different picture of him inside from the outer cover. I do bore easily. LIke to have more than one angle on things you know.
  • Has anyone read the winning stories this month? I thought they were Ok, but once again preferred the second place winners on the website!
    I thought the winning annual ghost story in the Competition was supplement was very good, but haven't read all of the others yet.
  • Got mine on saturday havent had time to read it might try and have a go the night.
  • Not got mine yet, still waiting.
  • Hooray! Mine came today, so hoping to read them tonight. :P
  • Mine still not come. :(