Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Live URL links in posts.

edited September 2008 in - Website Problems
I was wondering if it was possible to have an option, when making a post, to include a live URL rather than just a dead link that you have to copy and paste?

I posted this in Website Problems but it's not really a problem, just a question. :)

Thank you to the Lord and Master of this site if he so chooses to read and respond to my query. ;)

Comments

• Hi, Misty. The best place for this query is the discussion NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM. I suspect it's been mentioned before, so it may not be feasible.
  • edited September 2008
    Sorry, I may have confused you. NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM is a 'sticky' thread, and stays at the top of the discussion board. Jon checks it regularly for posts. I'm not sure how quickly he'd notice an item in the Website Problems category, especially if it drifts down the discussion board.
  • Thanks Jay, I'll try it. I'll have a read through that section before I post again though, bad me, not checking properly ;)
  • Takes time for a new person to find where everything is.
  • Misty, the thread I've mentioned is very long. If I were you, I'd just post what you want to say. Maybe it's possible now.
  • Thanks folks. :)

I used the search function and the only hit it came up with was this thread. So I will just post it in the other thread. :)
  • 19th September.

Has anyone been having trouble with the URLs? I've just been printing off the linked documents but the 'back' button didn't seem to be active, so I had to enter the Writers' News address again.

When I'd finished, though, there was a whole string of "Writers' Talkback" addresses (if that's what they're called) in the bottom line of my screen.

Can anyone who understands what I mean explain what's going wrong?
  • When you click the URL's they will open in a new window or tab. :)
  • It's not the opening that's the problem, it's returning to Talkback.
  • Yes, that's what I mean, TB will be in it's original window or tab. If you close or minimise the window that the URL link opened up in you should be back at TB. If you have a tabbed system (like FireFox) there should be a row of tabs at the top with all the website you have open, the URL link will be one, TB should be in a another...
  • Um. I'll have to have a think about that one. The new link seems to have changed the way my computer works (sort of).
  • i've no idea what your talking about but i would like to know why things aren't what they were!
  • edited September 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsLqsTVsx8

Enjoy!

Oh, God, look what the new-fangled URL thingy's just done!
  • Ah, the Good Old Days.

I remember when Talkback was carrier pigeons....
  • He he. :)

When I've used the links it has opened a new window, and when I've finished I just click on the cross in the top right corner of that window, and the original TB page with the URL link is still there. (You can see it behind the new window when you've clicked the URL link.)
  • FT, you're not that old ... are you???
  • Oh, yes, Dorothy. I'm afraid so...:(
  • Nice one Jay - that was a surprise! :D
  • Think I've got the hang of it now, Misty. Minimise. Thanks.
  • Good Jay. :) Some things just take a little time getting used to. :)
  • Don't they just? ;)
  • Thanks Jay, loved the song.
    I've noticed that although URL's will take us into a site now, any links to pictures and UTube-type clips will appear on screen directly in the quote block! Wow!
    What fun (or disaster) this is going to be for us all. :D
  • Don't pictures use up a lot of memory, though?
  • Ow! I just hurt my ears. Went to play the YouTube and there was no sound. So I turned the sound up on the clip...nothing. Turned the sound up on the speakers...nothing. Went into the computer sound control and moved a button just slightly...and got blasted out of my chair. Max Bygraves at 120 decibels. My idea of a nightmare. Should have turned the other things back down before I moved anything else, I guess! :(
  • Sorry! I should have warned you. :-)
  • Thank you Jay,

True nostalgia. What did happen to that Saturday morning radio programme?

I needed cheering and you have put a smile back on my face with a chuckle in my throat.

:D