Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

poem in todays Daily Mail

2»

Comments

• For the way they report. I also have an old friend who was a reporter for a VERY short while.

We don't get newspapers at all now, except occasionally the Guardian.
  • So nothing specific, you just don't like newspapers.
  • No, specifically the way the Daily Mail reports, and from things friend has told us.
  • In what way? You are not being specific, just generalistic.
  • You asked me why I don't like the Daily Mail, and I cannot tell you specifically. So I'm not going to.
  • I haven't bought a newspaper since Diana was killed..
    But I still know who Frank Lampard is..
  • Now I know it's football, it's not surprising I don't know who he is! Are you a sport fan, Jim?

I did work at a league one football club but the football still didn't interest me.
  • edited May 2013
    [quote=Liz]Are you a sport fan, Jim? [/quote]
    Yes I love my sport Liz, I am a lifelong Sunderland fan for my sins!!
    I'm going to watch the cricket next week in Cardiff with my son, South Africa v India, just love any competitive sport.
    Which club did you work at?
  • Bristol City.
  • But not for long - I worked with a Dr friend but it didn't work, my control went haywire. I don't think it was the footballers wandering around in shorts.
  • Not far from where I am now.
    My friends son played in goal for their under 21 side.
  • Ahh. My friend was the Dr for the Academy side as well. She does other sport now, and also the disabled sides for the FA.
  • [quote=Liz]You asked me why I don't like the Daily Mail, and I cannot tell you specifically. So I'm not going to.[/quote]

I'm all for people expressing their opinions, but I do like them to be able to back them up. I have been intrigued for years over people's aversion to certain newspapers (the Daily Mail in particular, which makes me wonder how come it's one of the most popular papers in the country) and yet I cannot tie anyone down to a reason why. I find it particularly irksome when far left lefties actually screw up their faces and gag at the title - and yet cannot give a reason why other than to say 'Ergh'.

If you're going to dislike something, at least have a good reason for doing so - that or say nothing at all until sure of your facts!
  • [quote=Liz]and also the disabled sides for the FA[/quote]
    Must be a very rewarding job?
  • [quote=mcbemused]If you're going to dislike something, at least have a good reason for doing so - that or say nothing at all until sure of your facts![/quote]

I'm very sure of my facts and don't have to explain myself to you.
  • [quote=jimholmes6]Must be a very rewarding job?[/quote] Yes, it is. She is lovely. I had no idea people without limbs could play football. Or blind players. It's incredible.
  • [quote=Liz]I'm very sure of my facts and don't have to explain myself to you. [/quote]

Yeah, right!
  • [quote=Liz]I had no idea people without limbs could play football. Or blind players. It's incredible.[/quote]
    It's amazing what they can acheive in all different sports.
  • I have noticed Mr R Ben Nathan was in the column twice this week and then two weeks prior. On average he seems to have something printed every fortnight. I queried this with the Mail but they are making out it is just by chance!