Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Competition insert with WN/WM

edited September 2008 in - WM and WN
I had a look through the competitions scheduled for next year, and noticed that there is a note above saying there are Opening and Closing dates, and not to send entries before the opening dates.
This is new isn't it adding an OPENING date for the competitions?

Comments

• I always assumed they opened when you received the monthly mag with them in.
  • As someone who enters approximately 3 days before the closing date, can't say I ever noticed an opening date :)
  • [quote=heather]I always assumed they opened when you received the monthly mag with them in. [/quote]

ditto
  • I assumed that too, but as they are from next year having an opening date as well as closing date, I assume that there are enthusiastic readers/writers who look at the annual competition index list- out now, start writing and send their entries before the competition is in the magazine, rather than waiting.
    I can't see any other reason why they would introduce an opening date.
  • This is new to me too, how strange, will look at the insert myself
  • It is in the coloured banding at the top of the pages where next years comps. are listed under the months.
  • I had written a story, having seen it in the previous Competitions list, and was about to send it off when I realized I wasn't sure what to put on the address. The monthly magazine featuring the specific competition turned up soon afterwards, and the title ??? was slightly different. (I think I had to change the entry form.) So I assumed they want entries between certain dates so they can assess them at the same time. Maybe they're just clarifying this.