Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

CRIME WRITERS' & READERS' thread.....everyone welcome...

Comments

• Just shows you that however good you may be, you do need luck. I've read / heard lots of times when successful authors have stated there was an element of luck involved in their first publication. But you know what they say...

'The harder I work, the luckier I get!'
    ;)
  • Where do I start, I read anything and everything to do with Crime I suppose its my passion, there are lots of good authors out there I went into Waterstone's last week and the assistant asked if I wanted any help so I told her I was looking for something different in the Crime genre every author she suggested I'd already read after ten minutes she turned to me and said 'Wow, you know more about it than me and I've worked her three years next time I need a recomendation I'll ask you' she didn't half make me smile.
  • I've just checked out Matt's website and it sounds really great, can't wait to read the finished book.
    Stirling whats the name of your first book I'd love to buy a copy.
  • Still working on it - let you know when it is published though!
  • Stirling, read quite a bit of Shattered but already get the feeling I know who it might be... im hoping to be proven wrong. Will update you when I finish.

Col B I havent read any british authors yet, you know what its like, so many books so little time!!!

I just loved Karen Rose, I just found I was really involved with what was going on, in one part I actually jumped!!!
  • Stirling, you've just reminded me that probably close on twenty years ago I met Val McDermid at a library in Manchester, and I'm pretty certain she signed my copy of her book....can't recall which one...must dig this out.
    Come to think of it, I also met another author about the same time....something Barnard...Paul?...not sure....from Yorkshire....very nice bloke and he gave me his address and phone number, and I recall he definitely signed my copy of his book...must dig this out, too. Should give him a call: 'Hi, it's Col...remember when you said you'd help me twenty years ago.....well...!'

I didn't realise just how long I'd been into this genre and if it wasn't for this thread (& TB) I wouldn't have recalled this. I'm off to suss out Mr Barnard's first name and to find these books in my self-made library!
    :P

Ps. SW, try some British crime novels to get a balanced view of the subject, if you're thinking of writing crime.
  • Affliction of writers - give us a book and we'll sign it. Not our book? Hey, we'll sign it anyway!

SW: bet you can't guess what happens at the end!
  • Col B - Will do, promise it will be the next book I read.

Sterling - Only managed to read a couple of chapters tonight, kept getting interupted by friends that want to chat on the phone!!! Luckily I can survive on little sleep so will carry on in a mo...
  • I'm sure none of you slept last night wondering about that mystery author who I met at a book launch all those years ago. (yeah, right)
    Well, I've just unearthed a cool 25 crime novels from my vast book collection and I found his...
    Robert Barnard, Masters Of The House (he's bobbing on a bit now, but he's been pretty prolific).
    And it was 1994 (but it feels like 20 years ago!).
    The Val McDermid one wasn't signed...The Mermaids Singing. (Any good, Stirling?)
    Now I have a problem...of the novels I've unearthed - I've read some already - which of the following authors should I read first?
    Recommendations please!
    Minette Walters...Graham Hurley...John Harvey...Sue Grafton...Frances Fyfield...James Patterson...Mandasue Heller...
  • Depends which John Harvey- his new characters or his old ones?
  • it also depends on which James Patterson books - Women's murder Club - read first, Alex Cross - maybe save him for further down the line...
  • Alex Cross definitely further down the line... Chippy's right!
  • Is Alex Cross his real name (just sounds like a great name for a detective!)

The Mermaid's singing is one of my favourites - as long as your not easily shocked!
  • I'm not sure what you mean Stirling - but Alex Cross is one of James Patterson's ongoing characters - he was a detective then he became an FBI agent [I think]
  • I think the brain needs to get in to gear - that's the second time today!
  • edited September 2008
    :)

Cheers, Stirling. I've got 'The Mermaid's Singing' so I'll give it a shot.
  • It's a CRIME in itself that this thread had slipped to page six!
    :P
  • Keep meaning to add to this thread myself. Having gone through just about the whole supply of crime talking books in all my local libraries, I have just come across Ngaio Marsh - someone I had overlooked before as I had never heard of her. Quite enjoyed her short story collection, now getting into 'Died in the Wool'. Thing is, whilst my mind is admittedly currently churning with personal problems, I find my attention is constantly drifting away from the story.
    Question is, is this due to my state of mind, or do other crime fans find the same thing when reading her longer works?
  • It's likely to be the book - never heard of Marsh though. Sorry if I've missed something, but hope you sort out whatever is troubling you forthwith.
  • Heard of her, but can't remember what I've read.
  • It's slipping again...and I simply won't allow it....come on Crime enthusiasts!!!
    (No hoodies allowed, though!)
    ;)
  • Ngaio Marsh - never read her myself but remember my older siblings getting her books out of the library in the 70s - probably remember because of the distinctive name.

This wasn't a very helpful contribution, was it? ;)
  • better writer than her sis Jodie
  • edited September 2008
    Every one counts, CC.
    I'm currently reading Masters of the House by Robert Barnard in an attempt to diversify and further enhance my knowledge of the genre as I continue to create my very own crime novel.
  • Yes, I can count too, Col B! :)
  • Her brother Rodney wasn't much cop either!

CC, Count???
  • Got it - doh!
    :)
  • Her cousin Mallow is really sweet though.
  • Her Great Uncle Boggy might have somat to say about that!
    ;)
  • What are you crime lovers reading/writing at the moment?
  • I'm actually reading a fantasy novel at the moment - Brisingr by Christopher Paolini. Must be doing some good, I wrote a bit yesterday.
  • edited September 2008
    My lying-on-the-beach and unable-to-think reading for the summer hols was a couple of books by Harlan Coben (from the Myron Bolitar set). I laughed a lot at the writing style (in a good way - he has some lovely turns of phrase) but I have to admit that I found myself skimming pages waiting for the secondary character Win to appear. The stories were always better when he was there.
  • At the moment Jeffrey Deaver's new book its okay but hasn't got me turning the pages like the Bone Collector see I don't even remember its name.
  • Is the Bone Collector film based on this book? I recall the film being excellent.
  • Yes it is. I agree the film is excellent.
  • Has anyone read any Robert Crais? A friend told me that he's a good writer.
  • I tried reading Hostage (they've made a film since) and got about half way. Too much coincidence etc for me. If you like Harlen Coben or Simon Kernick then you will probably like him.
  • Brought back to the fore for Chezza!
    ;)
  • Chezza, it's sinking!
  • Women and children first!
  • What about equality?
  • ColB - have you read any of Maureen Carter's books? Seems she is trying to create a female detective who will be to Birmingham what Rebus is to Edinburgh.
  • No. I must check her out. Keeping abreast of the competiton is paramount!
  • Why do publishers DO that?

I just can't see Birmingham like I see Edinburgh's 'split personality'. I think it works for Edinburgh because it has a massive tourism appeal, but a very dark and Gothic history too. Edinburgh is a character its self - not an easy thing to do!
  • I read a Robert Crais and cannot remember its title or anything about it ... just read David Morrell's Brotherhood of the Rose which was a good story ruined by the usual nonsensical dangling participles writing, which also applies to the current book, No Time For Goodbye by Linwood someone or other. Loaned to me by a friend, not my choice.
    But it is good to read something solid, we got Uncle Tom's Cabin from the second hand book shop, daughter has a 'thing' for reading all the 'classic' books but it made her feel sick, so sugary and pious. So I read it to see if it was the way I remembered it and I found it too sugary and pious too but can imagine at the time what a storm it created.
  • Stirling - the publishers didn't do anything other than publish the books. ;)

I don't mean that she is out to re-create Rebus in Birmingham but merely that as Morse is associated with Oxford, Rebus with Edinburgh, so she has created a detective based in Birmingham.
  • I agree with you, Stirling. Birmingham?
  • I just got images of spaghetti junctions!
  • I am here! I haven't done much novel reading lately, but some of the names mentioned here are stirring up old memories. I remember reading Ngaio Marsh, but can't remember which book. I have enjoyed Sue Grafton's alphabet series in the past - must go out and get her latest. I have read at least one of Harlan Coben's books, again can't remember the title and I'm just too lazy to go to my bookshelf and look. But I do recall it kept me turning the pages.

Anyway, my excuse for not reading is that I am writing! I even had the audacity to enter this year's Debut Dagger Award - it got me to write a proper synopsis of my NaNoWriMo novel and figure out the ending. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I wasn't shortlisted. There is always next year. I meant to enter the Daily Mail First Novel Competition but didn't quite get round to finishing the novel.
  • edited October 2008
    WELL DONE for getting as far as actually entering Chezza - often, posting our work out into the world is the hardest part....keep writing. :)